Milky-G

Default Stereo Question

Hi All,

I have an older Sony CDX-2180 stereo that I bought at a yard sale in brand
new condition (original box, instructions, install parts, etc.). Not even a
fingerprint. Installed it, CD works fine and sounds great, but no radio
signal. I checked the antenna port and the cable, inside and out......looks
fine and fits like a glove. If I firmly push the cable to just the right
spot, I get good signal, but then it goes out completely. Not even any
static or hissing. I can't figure out what the problem is and the cable
worked just fine with my other stereo. Does anyone have any thoughts or
suggestions (besides buying a new stereo)?

Milky-G

MOSFET

"Milky-G" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have an older Sony CDX-2180 stereo that I bought at a yard sale in brand
new condition (original box, instructions, install parts, etc.). Not even

fingerprint. Installed it, CD works fine and sounds great, but no radio
signal. I checked the antenna port and the cable, inside and

out......looks
fine and fits like a glove. If I firmly push the cable to just the right
spot, I get good signal, but then it goes out completely. Not even any
static or hissing. I can't figure out what the problem is and the cable
worked just fine with my other stereo. Does anyone have any thoughts or
suggestions (besides buying a new stereo)?

Milky-G

That's a strange problem. Well, if everything you are telling us is true
and it is a good connection with the antenna and the antenna worked with
other radios, then I know you aren't going to want to hear what I have to
say. It sounds like you most likely have a faulty unit. I'm sorry.

Perhaps others have some ideas that may help.

MOSFET

bobb

It's got to be a bad connection somewhere, and your hand maybe acting
as a temporary antena. What happends when you wiggle the connector and
the cable around it?

Milky-G wrote:
[...]

Check it again. every time you press the cable right and get the thing
going
means the connection is not right. Check the connectoin again.

Barry & Nikki

Can't remember off hand if your stereo has the direct mount antennae "port"
or the one that hangs off like a tail. Either way if it works fine with
another stereo than it is within the 2180. If it is the direct connect
"port" more than likely from having to push the antennae into the "port" the
force has caused the "port" to become unsoldered from the circuit board.
Happens more often than not on these types. If it is the tail type connector
then possibly the braided ground and or the center wire has broken within
the plastic casing and or it too may have been pulled from the solder
connection on the board. Either way I would disassemble the stereo and heat
up the solder connections where the antenna feeds onto the circuit board.
Cold solder joins are quite abundant in electronics being they are made with
very little care and even more so today being they are striving for quantity
rather than quality.

"Milky-G" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have an older Sony CDX-2180 stereo that I bought at a yard sale in brand
new condition (original box, instructions, install parts, etc.). Not even

fingerprint. Installed it, CD works fine and sounds great, but no radio
signal. I checked the antenna port and the cable, inside and

out......looks
fine and fits like a glove. If I firmly push the cable to just the right
spot, I get good signal, but then it goes out completely. Not even any
static or hissing. I can't figure out what the problem is and the cable
worked just fine with my other stereo. Does anyone have any thoughts or
suggestions (besides buying a new stereo)?

Milky-G

Milky-G

It's just when I push the connector to one side. I don't think it's my
hand......there's definitely a connection problem. Thanks.

"bobb" wrote in message
It's got to be a bad connection somewhere, and your hand maybe acting
as a temporary antena. What happends when you wiggle the connector and
the cable around it?

Milky-G

It has the port. It's a solid fit, so it takes a little pressure to get the
connector in. The thing is, I opened the box to check the port and it looks
just fine......unless I broke the connection after trying a second time. But
that still wouldn't explain why I had the problem in the first place. Either
way, I'll have to uninstall and take another look at it. If everything
checks out, I just might be forced to buy another unit. Thanks for your
help.

Milky-G

"Milky-G" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have an older Sony CDX-2180 stereo that I bought at a yard sale in
brand
new condition (original box, instructions, install parts, etc.). Not even

fingerprint. Installed it, CD works fine and sounds great, but no radio
signal. I checked the antenna port and the cable, inside and

out......looks
fine and fits like a glove. If I firmly push the cable to just the right
spot, I get good signal, but then it goes out completely. Not even any
static or hissing. I can't figure out what the problem is and the cable
worked just fine with my other stereo. Does anyone have any thoughts or
suggestions (besides buying a new stereo)?

Milky-G

Barry & Nikki

It may not be obvious by looking if it is a cold solder joint. Like I said
if you have access to one try a soldering iron on the connections on the
bottom of the board. Also if your antenna end has two little metal "wings"
like some do try spreading those tabs apart a bit. Don't pry too hard cuz
they may snap. Sometimes these are pushed in enough to not make contact with
one stereo but are fine with another. I've run into that problem as well on
my bench testing antennae.

"Milky-G" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have an older Sony CDX-2180 stereo that I bought at a yard sale in
brand
new condition (original box, instructions, install parts, etc.). Not

even
fingerprint. Installed it, CD works fine and sounds great, but no radio
signal. I checked the antenna port and the cable, inside and

out......looks
fine and fits like a glove. If I firmly push the cable to just the

right
spot, I get good signal, but then it goes out completely. Not even any
static or hissing. I can't figure out what the problem is and the cable
worked just fine with my other stereo. Does anyone have any thoughts or
suggestions (besides buying a new stereo)?

Milky-G

'90 Pontiac Sunbird stereo question William Filcox Car Audio 10 April 1st 05 11:26 PM
Stereo Mic Question Daniel Stover Tech 0 August 8th 04 11:09 PM
Ford Escape stereo installation question. M.G. Car Audio 1 September 6th 03 01:26 PM
Unusual Case - Connecting pc to stereo help please! Stereo Guy Tech 3 September 1st 03 12:25 PM
NEWBIE QUESTION: Need HELP With SOUNDCRAFT MIXER! HWBossHoss Pro Audio 1 August 5th 03 02:43 PM