Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Default CD Recorder in Standby/Record...How long is too long

I have system to set up where the easiest way to get it all to work
well is to pass audio "through" the CD recorders. They are in record
but if I don't press the GO button the disc is spinning, the meters
are working (which I need) but it is not actually recording, but the
audio comes out the playback outputs. I need the meters and the audio
output.

Can I leave it like this for a few hours a day for 2 weeks without any
harm?

What is the CD recorder actually doing in this mode, is the laser on
at it's high record power level and therefore wearing out?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mark" wrote in message

Can I leave it like this for a few hours a day for 2 weeks
without any harm?

Well, you're wearing out the spindle motor faster.

What is the CD recorder actually doing in this mode, is the laser on
at its high record power level and therefore wearing out?

Unlikely. Why turn on the laser until it's properly positioned to record?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts Badmuts is offline

"Mark" wrote in message
I have system to set up where the easiest way to get it all to work
well is to pass audio "through" the CD recorders. They are in record
but if I don't press the GO button the disc is spinning, the meters
are working (which I need) but it is not actually recording, but the
audio comes out the playback outputs. I need the meters and the audio
output.

Can I leave it like this for a few hours a day for 2 weeks without any
harm?

What is the CD recorder actually doing in this mode, is the laser on
at it's high record power level and therefore wearing out?

What brand and type CD recorder are you using?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Feb 8, 5:52 pm, "Badmuts" wrote:

What brand and type CD recorder are you using?

I'll bet you don't know everything about all of them. You're just
putting off the inevitable answer, which is "ask the manufacturer."

For what it's worth, I have a TASCAM CD-RW5000 CD recorder that I used
to use as an A/D converter because it was the best one I had at the
time. It was on for several hours a day. On this one, when you put a
disk in, it does the laser power check and after about two minutes in
standby, it stops spinning (and I assume the laser turns off). There's
room for 99 "tests" on a disk and I just saved aside one disk for this
use. I guess I haven't done it 99 times because I never had to use a
second disk.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Feb 8, 6:15*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Feb 8, 5:52 pm, "Badmuts" wrote:

What brand and type CD recorder are you using?

I'll bet you don't know everything about all of them. You're just
putting off the inevitable answer, which is "ask the manufacturer."

For what it's worth, I have a TASCAM CD-RW5000 CD recorder that I used
to use as an A/D converter because it was the best one I had at the
time. It was on for several hours a day. On this one, when you put a
disk in, it does the laser power check and after about two minutes in
standby, it stops spinning (and I assume the laser turns off). There's
room for 99 "tests" on a disk and I just saved aside one disk for this
use. I guess I haven't done it 99 times because I never had to use a
second disk.

Hi, thanks for the replies.
Its a prosumer level unit...Phillips CDR560..
Yes, when you put the disc in, it does optical power calibration then
goes to standby. When you press record, it says wait, the disc spins
up and the level meters start to work and the audio passes through and
the counter stays at 0:00. It will stay that way indefintley till you
press go. I'm not worried about the spindle motor, that is designed
to run for many hours, I do worry about the laser running on high
power record mode. My guess is that the laser is not in high power
mode at this point because it would burn the disc and CD-R disc can
only burn once so this part of the dics would be ruined, my guess is
it is in low power playback mode so that it can track and be in the
right spot to be ready to record immediatly when I press run....but I
was wondering if anyone knew for sure.

Yes, I accidently left one turned on with a disc in it connected to a
switched outlet so that everytime I tunred the light on, it powered up
and went through the optical power calibration routine, when I
finally noticed it (well after 99 on/ off cycles) the OPC area of that
particualr disc was full.

thanks
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl cedricl is offline

On Feb 8, 5:28*pm, Mark wrote:
I use a Sony CDR W33 http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/
565406484.html and I don't have to have a disk in it to put in record
to see input and hear output. I can do a whole rehearsal watching
meters before I put a disk in to record the show. I don't know how
many years I've had it but I use it for theater audio for playback and
record. It's seen substantial hours without a failure.

On Feb 8, 5:52 pm, "Badmuts" wrote:

What brand and type CD recorder are you using?

Hi, thanks for the replies.
Its a prosumer level unit...Phillips CDR560..

*thanks
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Clayton Mike Clayton is offline

On Feb 8, 5:52 pm, "Badmuts" wrote:

What brand and type CD recorder are you using?

Hi, thanks for the replies.
Its a prosumer level unit...Phillips CDR560..
*thanks
Mark

I use a Tascam CD recorder, the model number of which I can't recall,
because it's packed in its bag ready for the next off, but if there is
no disc in it and there is valid input, either digital or analogue,
when record is pressed it switches to monitor mode and stays there
until otherwise instructed. It will also stay in the record/pause mode
with a disc loaded for as long as you want it. I've had it for some
time now and it's done a power of work.

Mike