Posted to rec.audio.car
jbclem jbclem is offline

Default using an 8 ohm speaker with a car radio

I have a Radio Shack "Minimus-77" 8 ohm speaker/enclosure. I'd like to use
it with a car radio, but don't know how it will work compared to the usual 4
ohm car radio speaker. Would it have to be adapted to match the 4 ohms
requirement, will it work ok but with less volume? Does it depend on the
actual car radio model? Any ideas about this...

Posted to rec.audio.car
gregz gregz is offline

"jbclem" wrote:
I have a Radio Shack "Minimus-77" 8 ohm speaker/enclosure. I'd like to use
it with a car radio, but don't know how it will work compared to the usual 4
ohm car radio speaker. Would it have to be adapted to match the 4 ohms
requirement, will it work ok but with less volume? Does it depend on the
actual car radio model? Any ideas about this...

The efficiency of that speaker will overshadow ohms effect. It just will
not play loud in a car even if it's driven with a lot of watts and blow the
speaker. If your car is quiet, maybe. It would work better if it had a high
pass on it, with subwoofer.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] jerry@7-365.com is offline

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:18:19 PM UTC-6, jbclem wrote:
I have a Radio Shack "Minimus-77" 8 ohm speaker/enclosure. I'd like to use

it with a car radio, but don't know how it will work compared to the usual 4

ohm car radio speaker. Would it have to be adapted to match the 4 ohms

requirement, will it work ok but with less volume? Does it depend on the

actual car radio model? Any ideas about this...

if you hook it up without an amp it will not do much. How big is the speaker? what kind of car u putting this in. in a trunk? When i was growing up my cousin took some old 15" sub and put a cheap amp on it and it hit ok. With no amp nothing much will happen.
Terrybennett Terrybennett is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclem View Post
I have a Radio Shack "Minimus-77" 8 ohm speaker/enclosure. I'd like to use
it with a car radio, but don't know how it will work compared to the usual 4
ohm car radio speaker. Would it have to be adapted to match the 4 ohms
requirement, will it work ok but with less volume speakers? Does it depend on the
actual car radio model? Any ideas about this...
Hello guys looking for some information about front end speaker installation. Got new speakers but unaware about installation process so can you help me?

Last edited by Terrybennett : March 31st 13 at 06:32 AM