Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] fleemo17@comcast.net is offline

Default Digitizing Old Cassette Tapes

I have a Canopus ADVC-100 converter hooked up from a cassette deck to
my Intel Mac via Firewire so I can digitize some old audio cassettes.
I thought I could fire up QuickTime Pro and do a "New Audio
Recording," but I don't seem to be getting signal from the deck. I
checked under the Sound panel in the System Preferences, hoping to
find the ADVC listed in the Input list, but no. Any suggestions as to
how to get the audio piped into my Mac? Will QuickTime Pro do the
job? I also have ProTools and Garage Band.

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] fleemo17@comcast.net is offline

If you have Protools, then dump the audio into Protools with your Digi interface;

Thanks for the input, David.

Can you suggest how I would interface the cassette deck's RCA
connections with the Mbox's inputs? (Here's a photo of the back of
the Mbox and its inputs: http://tinyurl.com/yop3mt )

Or just dump the cassettes' output to the Audio In of your Mac into Garageband.

Could I accomplish that with a stereo RCA to mini-jack adapter plugged
into the line level input on the back of my Mac Pro? Would that give
a decent quality result?

Many thanks.

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
If you have Protools, then dump the audio into Protools with your Digi
interface;

Thanks for the input, David.

Can you suggest how I would interface the cassette deck's RCA
connections with the Mbox's inputs? (Here's a photo of the back of
the Mbox and its inputs: http://tinyurl.com/yop3mt )

With a stereo cable with RCA jacks on the cassette deck end,
and 1/4-inch phone plugs (or adapters) on the Mbox end. They
would plug in to the Mbox where it says "line (TRS)"

Or just dump the cassettes' output to the Audio In of your Mac into
Garageband.

Could I accomplish that with a stereo RCA to mini-jack adapter plugged
into the line level input on the back of my Mac Pro? Would that give
a decent quality result?

Unless you are attempting to do some very high-level audiophile
cassette resoration with some high-end Nakamichi machine,
the quality in a typical computer sound card is likely more than
adequate. At least IMHO.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] fleemo17@comcast.net is offline

With a stereo cable with RCA jacks on the cassette deck end,
and 1/4-inch phone plugs (or adapters) on the Mbox end. They
would plug in to the Mbox where it says "line (TRS)"

Thanks Richard. Somehow it didn't dawn on me that I could get a stereo
recording by plugging the left and right outputs into the two TRS
inputs.

Unless you are attempting to do some very high-level audiophile
cassette resoration with some high-end Nakamichi machine,
the quality in a typical computer sound card is likely more than
adequate. At least IMHO.

Actually, the deck is a high-end Nakamichi machine! The original
recordings, however, are less than audiophile quality. :|

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] fleemo17@comcast.net is offline

Or just dump the cassettes' output to the Audio In of your Mac into
Garageband.

David! It worked perfectly! All I had to do was take an RCA to
minijack adapter, plug the RCA end into the back of the cassette deck,
plug the minijack into my Mac Pro's Audio In, and create a "New Audio
Recording" in QuickTime Pro. Voila! And the resulting file sounds
surprisingly good. I'm thrilled!

Thanks for your help, and to everyone else who chimed in. I really
appreciate it!

-Fleemo