Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] prayer501@gmail.com is offline

Default MD-421 and LA-610 combination?

I'm looking into purchasing an Sennheiser MD-421 and Universal Audio
LA-610. How does those two sound together? I've heard that Great
River would be a safer bet for getting the characteristics of the mics.
I also have SM57 and beta 57, would those two sound good with LA-610?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I'm looking into purchasing an Sennheiser MD-421 and Universal Audio
LA-610. How does those two sound together? I've heard that Great

The 421 will sound good into any transformer-input preamp. Note that
the new 421 Mk. II doesn't sound much like a real 421, unfortunately.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

prayer501 wrote:

I'll be recording vocals (mainly male), acoustic guitar, electric
guitar, and probably bass and drums too.

Well, that certainly narrows it down. g

I'm just trying to make some music that sounds good.

Here's a little hint - it ISN'T about the microphone and preamp, it's
about the music.

I'm looking into this purchase because I heard a lot of good things
about those two products but I was wondering if they were good
together.

There's no reason why they shouldn't.

I would like to know if there are any alternative choices for recording
vocals and guitars at this price range.

How many thousand would you like? Really, you're looking at spending
enough money so that you're not going to end up with something that
will stand in your way. You might get more mileage out of a condense
mic in that price range, though. I use an MD-421 on vocals when there's
something else going on nearby, like a fiddler who sings, and it's nice
on kick drum or a guitar amplifier, but you might see what Audio
Technica or Studio Projects has to offer in the same price range as you
figure an MD-421 is going to cost you. Something that doesn't get
talked about here very much is the new CAD Trion 6000, a multi-pattern
large capsule condenser mic that I got in for review. I liked it a lot.
I didn't try it on drums, but it sounded enough like a U87 at drum
overhead distance that I expect it would work quite well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
prayer501 prayer501 is offline

By the way, I'm using Logic pro 7 on iMac 20inch with Focusrite Saffire
sound card and a couple of mics including beta 57 and SM57. I'm pretty
new to this so I am confused on which mics and preamps would make my
music sound better.