Michael Scarpitti

Default Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!!

chung wrote in message news:WOBdc.106144$w54.751724@attbi_s01...
(snip)

The issue is not whether there are real differences in cables. The issue
is someone believes strongly that since he heard those differences in a
sighted test, then those differences *must* be real, in a sonic sense.
The disagreement then, of course, is on whether perceptual bias can
affect what one believes one hears. On one side, the poster believes
that perceptual bias could never explain those differences that he knows
he hears for sure. On the other side, we have those who believe in the
effect of bias overwhelming sublte differences, and that belief is based
on personal experience as well as published research decades old.

This is a free world, and thanks God we are in a free world. We have the
right to proclaim our own personal experience. By saying this cable is
better than the others, or this cable sounds better than that one would
not hurt and cannot not hurt anyone. I mean, if somebody did not agree
with that, just let it be. Why do you want to apply your proclaim to
someone else?

I, for one, don't really care if Mr. Scarpitti believes one cable is
better than another. That's his preference, and he can spend his money
any way he wants to. But when he claims that since he heard those
differences, then those differences *must* be real in an audible sense,
that's when others come in and challenge that claim.

You have it backwards. The others claim that I *must* be mistaken,
simply because I saw what I was listening to. That is surely,
absolutely unsupportable, and THEY *must* be wrong if they say I
*must* be mistaken. I *may* be mistaken (though the likelihood is
remote) but not because I saw what I was listening to. The reason
wine-tastings are blind is not because anyone believes that seeing the
label will affect his ability to taste. Seeing the label may affect
the score he gives to what he tastes. The wines of a winery with a
high reputation may be scored higher even though those wines may not
be any better, because the judges' evaluation may be affected, not
their taste.

Personally, I absolutely didnot agree that expensive speaker cables WILL
give you better sound than cheaper speaker cables. But depends on the
material it is using, there is/are difference, it is just a matter of you
want to spend an extra few hundred dollars in return to that kind of
difference(s), some said yes, some said no. Just like, can you tell the
difference between a 14AWG and 12AWG? If yes, is it worth to spend that
extra money to get that difference?

Speaking of interconnect, it is a difference story, I personally
experience significally difference among coaxial cable, pure copper
cable, silver cable, and silver/copper hybrid cable. And once again, if
anyone doesn't agree with that, I'm sorry, but you can't say I'm wrong
because that is my experience.

I wouldn't say you are wrong, since you really believe that you heard
those differences. I would say that if you do a careful bias controlled
test, you may not hear those differences.

You need a different kind of test. You need a large sample of
*qualified* people to listen to two products and offer their opinions.
By 'qualified', I mean people who are experienced in listening to
high-quality audio equipment. If 75% of those queried hear a
difference, then that is significant.

It is very subjective I know, but when the
world of audiophile still cannot agree on when subjective listening rule
or objective testing rule, I think I'm happy with that.

Who cares if subjective listening rules or objectively listening rules?
And what does "rules" mean? By definition,listening is subjective. In a
case like cables, or green pens, sounding different, fortunately the DBT
can answer the question of whether those differences are real audible
differences.

No, DBT cannot. All it can tell is whether the issue is indeterminate.
A negative result in a DBT is an indeterminate result.

I remember once my professor told me that: Engineer should be the most
open minded professional among all, without that open minded, the world
will not and cannot progress.

Being open mind also means being aware of the powers of perceptual bias.

These (if they exist) are not infinite. There is *some* point at which
these supposed factors no longer override the audible.

And being open mind does not mean that we will entertain any crazy
theory, like magic green pens improving sound, without asking for proofs.

Keep that in mind.

Panzzi

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
> [...]
Panzzi wrote:
Hi, all...

I've been following some of the threads about cables in RAHE.

Interesting
is I noticed that everytime somebody brought the cables issue up, there
are certain people/group will jump in and tried to tell these people

they
were wrong!

I just don't get it? Why are they do that?

You are right that you did not get it.

[...]

Being open minded should also mean a willingness to examine the test being
used and to concede that it has never really been given a proper control
test for evaluative listening and then going about setting up such a test,
obtaining the results, and subjecting them to peer-review. That is the
difference between being a scientist and being a "believer".

Michael Scarpitti

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:AWBdc.101228$gA5.1352998@attbi_s03...
On 9 Apr 2004 04:32:03 GMT, Panzzi wrote:

Hi, all...

I've been following some of the threads about cables in RAHE. Interesting
is I noticed that everytime somebody brought the cables issue up, there
are certain people/group will jump in and tried to tell these people they
were wrong!

I just don't get it? Why are they do that?

Because they *were* wrong? :-)

This is a free world, and thanks God we are in a free world.

Indeed - everyone is free to have the right to be wrong. Of course,
everyone else has the right to *tell* them that they are wrong. Ain't
freedom of speech a bitch? :-)

Not so fast. If you insist I *must* be wrong based merely on the fact
that I saw what I was listening to, your argument is without
foundation. I *may* be mistaken, but it is not true that I *must* be
mistaken. If you say I *must* be mistaken, you are going beyond what
you may conclude. Such a statement of yours *must* be false. It is
not true that I *must* be mistaken.

We have the
right to proclaim our own personal experience. By saying this cable is
better than the others, or this cable sounds better than that one would
not hurt and cannot not hurt anyone. I mean, if somebody did not agree
with that, just let it be. Why do you want to apply your proclaim to
someone else?

I canna' change the laws o' physics, cap'n....................

What makes you think you know what they are? Is that not the very
question at issue? You're begging the question, again.

Personally, I absolutely didnot agree that expensive speaker cables WILL
give you better sound than cheaper speaker cables. But depends on the
material it is using, there is/are difference,

Actually no, it doesn't make any difference at all.

Begging the question.

it is just a matter of you
want to spend an extra few hundred dollars in return to that kind of
difference(s), some said yes, some said no. Just like, can you tell the
difference between a 14AWG and 12AWG? If yes, is it worth to spend that
extra money to get that difference?

Speaking of interconnect, it is a difference story, I personally
experience significally difference among coaxial cable, pure copper
cable, silver cable, and silver/copper hybrid cable. And once again, if
anyone doesn't agree with that, I'm sorry, but you can't say I'm wrong
because that is my experience.

We can however say that there is no difference in the physical world,
and that you would understand this if you tried a DBT.

Not true. You have no basis for that claim. Prove it!

We can say
this, because we have been there, done that, and have a wardrobe full
of T-shirts.

It is very subjective I know, but when the
world of audiophile still cannot agree on when subjective listening rule
or objective testing rule, I think I'm happy with that.

I remember once my professor told me that: Engineer should be the most
open minded professional among all, without that open minded, the world
will not and cannot progress.

Keep that in mind.

We do. Intriguingly, it is *always* the 'subjectivists' who wish to
ignore physical evidence, and to shut up those who disagree with them.
I believe that tells its own story......................

The only 'physical eveidence' is what I can hear and see. You offer
nothing but empty proclamations.

Michael Scarpitti

"Norman Schwartz" wrote in message ...
"josko" wrote in message
"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message

less jumbled-together. All frequencies seem more distinct.

Even if so, although I doubt it, jumbled together is the way they occur
naturally, frequencies seeming distinct is a fault.

You cannot be serious.

If I hear differences on several
separate occasions, at different times of the day, this would tend to
average out the factors, including the 'bias' you speak of.

Not at all beacuse of something called confirmatory bias, which is an
extremely strong tendency of human decison makers.

Ignoring mind-play factors, I think one's hearing differs on "separate
occasions" more so than any cable difference could ever produce.

I am talking about amplifiers and interconnect.

So, if the components sound the same (not the same as each other, but
the same way each did the first time) that strongly supports that
there is a real difference. You actually support my assertion.

The amplifiers have such strong characters that they overcome my mood,
mental state, bias, expectations, philosophical beliefs, and
attitudes.

chung

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
[...]

Actually, you are not reading correctly what the others are saying.

They are saying that if you saw what you are listening to, then your
ability to differentiate subtle differences will be affected. You may
not be mistaken, but you cannot say that you are for sure *not* mistaken
(and that seems to be what you were saying). There is a fine, but
important difference there.

That is surely,
absolutely unsupportable, and THEY *must* be wrong if they say I
*must* be mistaken.

It's actually like this: you must be wrong if you say that you cannot be
mistaken.

Although in the case of magic green pens, I would say that you *must* be
mistaken if you can hear differences .

I *may* be mistaken (though the likelihood is
remote) but not because I saw what I was listening to.

That's one of the key points of the debate. We believe a very good
reason for you to be mistaken is if you know what you are listening to.
And you seem to think that you are above that.

snip

Speaking of interconnect, it is a difference story, I personally
experience significally difference among coaxial cable, pure copper
cable, silver cable, and silver/copper hybrid cable. And once again, if
anyone doesn't agree with that, I'm sorry, but you can't say I'm wrong
because that is my experience.

I wouldn't say you are wrong, since you really believe that you heard
those differences. I would say that if you do a careful bias controlled
test, you may not hear those differences.

You need a different kind of test. You need a large sample of
*qualified* people to listen to two products and offer their opinions.
By 'qualified', I mean people who are experienced in listening to
high-quality audio equipment. If 75% of those queried hear a
difference, then that is significant.

Well, how exactly would you conduct this kind of test? What is the
sample size? Who declares the tester "qualified"? How do you do level
matching and other things to make sure that you are really comparing
only two things?

And why would you need a different kind of test? Isn't it the most
important to you whether *you* can tell the difference? And why are you
so concerned about making the test blind?

It is very subjective I know, but when the
world of audiophile still cannot agree on when subjective listening rule
or objective testing rule, I think I'm happy with that.

Who cares if subjective listening rules or objectively listening rules?
And what does "rules" mean? By definition,listening is subjective. In a
case like cables, or green pens, sounding different, fortunately the DBT
can answer the question of whether those differences are real audible
differences.

No, DBT cannot. All it can tell is whether the issue is indeterminate.
A negative result in a DBT is an indeterminate result.

A negative result means you cannot tell the two things apart. Why is
that indeterminate, especially given how easy you can tell them apart in
sighted testing?

And a positive result would mean that there are indeed sonic
differences. Hey, you can tell those skeptics that they are wrong after
all, that the green pen really works! Isn't that priceless?

I remember once my professor told me that: Engineer should be the most
open minded professional among all, without that open minded, the world
will not and cannot progress.

Being open mind also means being aware of the powers of perceptual bias.

These (if they exist) are not infinite. There is *some* point at which
these supposed factors no longer override the audible.

Sure, that's why DBT's of speakers are rather moot. But cables? You can
be sure that the powers of perception will overcome the subtle
differences, if any exist.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 10 Apr 2004 05:12:50 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

chung wrote in message news:WOBdc.106144$w54.751724@attbi_s01...
(snip)

I, for one, don't really care if Mr. Scarpitti believes one cable is
better than another. That's his preference, and he can spend his money
any way he wants to. But when he claims that since he heard those
differences, then those differences *must* be real in an audible sense,
that's when others come in and challenge that claim.

You have it backwards. The others claim that I *must* be mistaken,
simply because I saw what I was listening to. That is surely,
absolutely unsupportable, and THEY *must* be wrong if they say I
*must* be mistaken. I *may* be mistaken (though the likelihood is
remote) but not because I saw what I was listening to.

The likelihood is far from remote, indeed it is almost certain
regarding cables, and is *precisely* because you knew what you were
listening to. You have been told this many times by many people, but
you absolutely refuse to take any notice of anything outside your own
beliefs. This is not a good way to progress through life, IME. Perhaps
your compatriot is right, and that it's 'hardwired' into the Italian
psyche. Personally, I prefer to think that this is not so, and that
there is still hope!

The reason
wine-tastings are blind is not because anyone believes that seeing the
label will affect his ability to taste. Seeing the label may affect
the score he gives to what he tastes. The wines of a winery with a
high reputation may be scored higher even though those wines may not
be any better, because the judges' evaluation may be affected, not
their taste.

You are quite wrong in your above statement regarding wine tasting.
The proof lies in a classic 'Candid Camera' episode in which several
wine glasses were set in front of open bottles of wines of wildly
varying price and reputation. The glasses were then filled *from one
bottle*, and the unwitting 'tasters' duly commented on many well-known
aspects of the wines contained in the bottles behind the glasses. Note
that it was *impossible* for taste to have varied here, and yet the
tasters reported many conflicting things about the same wine in the
different glasses. This is yet another prime demonstration that
sighted testing is useless for the determining of subtle differences.

S888Wheel

From: Bruce Abrams
Date: 4/9/2004 10:00 PM Pacific Standard Time
"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message

No, you haven't - and I can *prove* that, if you care to *try* it,
instead of simply repeating "I heard it, so it *must* be true".

I heard it, several times. You have NO grounds for contradicting me,
because you were not there. You have NO empirical data to support your
position. I do. I have a witness.

I have the grounds that *no* human can do this, because any
*measurable* differences lie far below the threshold of human hearing.
You have a witness only to the fact that sighted testing is useless in
this context.

Question-begging. Your argument consists of this circularity: 'You
can't have heard any differences that are real because sighted testing
is worthless. Sighted testing is worthless because any differences you
hear aren't real.'

Nobody has ever said that "Sighted testing is worthless because any
differences you hear aren't real." Sighted testing is worthless because it
is inherently flawed. The biases that it introduces are recognized by
virtually every field of science and any research or consumer testing that
would be done absent controls for such biases would be ignored as being
fatally flawed and consequently meaningless. There is no circular argument.
The complete argument is that "Sighted testing is worthless because of the
biases it introduces. Any audible differences that you hear during sighted
conditions, therefore, must be verified as being duplicatible with bias
controls in place (ie blind)." You have yet to answer why you are so
resistant to engaging in a blind test.

So I guess that makes nearly every speaker audition worthless.
Gosh I guess that makes normal home listening in general worthless.

If you genuinely think that you're immune to sighted bias, congratulations.
Virtually no elements within the scientific or product testing world would
agree, however.

While no one is immune, I think the effects are being overstated here.Sure
biases *can* affect human perception. Human perception is not entirely reliable
even with biases removed. One does not need 100% reliability for a listening
experience to have some worth. One does not have to become a research scientist
to be an audiophile and form opinions based on experience that, while not
totally reliable, (not possible in the real world anyways) are not neccessarily
entirely worthless either.

Panzzi

chung wrote in

The issue is not whether there are real differences in cables. The
issue is someone believes strongly that since he heard those
differences in a sighted test, then those differences *must* be real,
in a sonic sense. The disagreement then, of course, is on whether
perceptual bias can affect what one believes one hears. On one side,
the poster believes that perceptual bias could never explain those
differences that he knows he hears for sure. On the other side, we
have those who believe in the effect of bias overwhelming sublte
differences, and that belief is based on personal experience as well
as published research decades old.

Thank you Chung for your reply.

You brought out a very interesting point (at least to me though): If
someone can make a cable that visually lead to another beleive that it is
better than the others, don't you think they are quite successful? And as
a matter of fact, when I picked up a speaker cable, I would not know what
is inside, what material or technology they claimed they used. If that is
the case, how can that affect my judgement? Would it be the packaging of
cables? Or the appearance of the cables?

I wouldn't say you are wrong, since you really believe that you heard
those differences. I would say that if you do a careful bias
controlled test, you may not hear those differences.

But in a "normal" world, do we have to do a DBT like 20 times before we
can open our eyes to see what cables we just plug into our system? I
mean, in a testing environment, it might work; but for everyday life, how
can you do that.

I mean, even you go to Home Depot to pick up the ugly looking 12AWG zip-
cord, you will need to see them, right? But would that affect your
ability to "distinguish" it from the "other" cables since you have seen
it already, one way or the other, how can ensure yourself would not bias
on that zip-cord against another speaker cables?

Who cares if subjective listening rules or objectively listening
rules? And what does "rules" mean? By definition,listening is
subjective. In a case like cables, or green pens, sounding different,
fortunately the DBT can answer the question of whether those
differences are real audible differences.

By saying "rule", I mean whether subjective or objective will become the
mainstream of cable testing? Should we rely on the characteristic
(number) of the wire like the L, C, R, say if A wire has lower L than B
wire, then A is better than B. Or if I plug in A wire for you to listen,
and then plug in B wire afterward (signted most likely), you like B, then
B is better than A for you; I like A, then A is better than B for me.
Nobody should or can say, "hey, you are wrong! Because both A and B are
the same." I mean, I like A, it doesn't matter that you like A or B or
even C, that doesn't really concern you, right?

Being open mind also means being aware of the powers of perceptual
bias. And being open mind does not mean that we will entertain any
crazy theory, like magic green pens improving sound, without asking
for proofs.

I tell you what, name any present technology was not started from "crazy
theory".

Fifty years ago, if I told you you can carry a 3" x 2" little box and
talk to your grandma in England, would you think it is a crazy theory?

Forty years ago, when you walk into a 200 sq.ft. room full of flashing
light equipment that you can only communicate with it through a 1" width
paper tape, if I told you you can "shrink" all these and place on your
lap and communicate with it through your own voice, would you think it is
a crazy theory?

And the example can go on and on and on...

Think about it.

Panzzi

Michael Scarpitti

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:0GZdc.4895$_K3.29330@attbi_s53...
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 04:49:00 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

I don't trusut wine reviews. Period. I trust my tongue. I don't trust
audio product reviews, either. I trust my ears.

Well now, that's the problem, isn't it? You do *not* genuinely *trust*
your ears, since you insist on *knowing* which cable is connected. Why
are you so outwardly confident in your beliefs, yet so afraid to
really *trust* your ears in a blind test?

Unfortunately, I have no easy way to do that. I always test products
by bringing them home to test, and there is no-one who can make the
swaps for me. I simply put one component in, and listen for a while,
then put the other one back in. If I hear a difference that's
favorable, I keep the product. If not, I take it back. Have I ever
rejected anything? Of course! I listened to a JVC CD player that was
'supposed' to be better than my Sony. It actually was inferior in most
regards.

I insist that it is very difficult to evaluate a new component except
in very familiar surroundings, in a system that you know quite well.
Only then can any change stand out. In your own home, you know the
'sound' of the room and you can factor that out in the case where
speakers are employed for testing. Trying to listen at a salon is
hopeless.

You're not dealing with 'armchair quarterbacks' here, at least three
of your opponents used to believe just as you did, but then we *tried*
blind testing, and discovered our errors. Why are you so convinced
that *you*, alone of all humanity, are incapable of error?

I am capable of error, but to say I could listen to 7 amps, ALL of
which sounded different from each other and that this occurred
*through my error*, strains even the most generous standards of
credibility.

And your constant repetition of this claim, which by no means adds any
strength to your position, is another fallacy:

ARGUMENTUM AD NAUSEUM

be true the more often it is heard. An "argumentum ad nauseum" is one
that employs constant repetition in asserting a truth.

You are also guilty of:

BIFURCATION

bifurcation is the presentation of a situation or condition with only
two alternatives, whereas in fact other alternatives exist or can
exist.

Do you see how this applies?

You are also guilty of:

SPECIAL PLEADING

standard is employed by the person making the assertion. Special
pleading typically happens when one insists upon less strict treatment
for the argument he/she is making than he or she would make when
evaluating someone else's arguments.

Why? You are unwilling to consider even the *possibility* that I can
hear the differences between cables in my own home, saying I *must* be
mistaken, when you apply a much looser standard of proof to the
contrary position.

Ban

S888Wheel wrote:

While no one is immune, I think the effects are being overstated
here.Sure biases *can* affect human perception. Human perception is
not entirely reliable even with biases removed. One does not need
100% reliability for a listening experience to have some worth. One
does not have to become a research scientist to be an audiophile and
form opinions based on experience that, while not totally reliable,
(not possible in the real world anyways) are not neccessarily
entirely worthless either.

That is why there are quite a few companies still in business selling
"snake-oil" for exorbitant prices. Japonese wooden blocks used as feet,
German varnish, green pens, equipment racks, you name it.
It is similar to the esoteric market, which sells christals and magnets for
healing purposes, and exactly works the same. I mean it *really* works,
because our mind creates quite a lot of sensations out of warm air. In
medicine this is known as "placebo" effect. It is not a bad thing either(at
least nobody is harmed), exept for the poor believer who not only gets
stripped of his cash, but makes a laughing stock out of himself for those
who know.

And this is what has happened with the high-enders, when you ask in the
engineering society. Constructing audio equipment is seen as kind of
unscientific hobbyist approach, not like Radar or automation. So
unfortunately a few charlatans have discredited a whole market segment and
have driven quite a few capable engineers away from it.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Michael Scarpitti

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:kGZdc.7610$rg5.31195@attbi_s52...

Isn't it possible that some audiophile wire acts as tone controls? IIRC
some was shown to have inductive and capacitive amounts that could
reasonable be audible between some components.

The extreme ends of this in commercial cable are Alpha-Core 'Goertz'
MI cable (highly capacitive, very low inductance), and Naim NACA5
(fairly high inductance, low capacitance). I have compared these
cables directly, using low-impedance (3 ohms) speakers, and I heard no
differences whatever, although there was a measured 1.5dB droop at
20kHz with the Naim cable.

What was the equipment used in the test?

Such a result should not come as a surprise
to anyone with a basic knowledge of electronics, and some experience
of listening tests.

Ad hominem argument. Irrelevant.

Michael Scarpitti

chung wrote in message ...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:
[...]

No, sir I am not.

They are saying that if you saw what you are listening to, then your
ability to differentiate subtle differences will be affected.

Prove that!

You may
not be mistaken, but you cannot say that you are for sure *not* mistaken
(and that seems to be what you were saying). There is a fine, but
important difference there.

No, they are saying I am and *must* be mistaken, because all cables
sound alike, (they say), and that claim is supoorted by the claim that
if I do hear differences I must be mistaken!

That is surely,
absolutely unsupportable, and THEY *must* be wrong if they say I
*must* be mistaken.

It's actually like this: you must be wrong if you say that you cannot be
mistaken.

I *could* be mistaken (in principle) but it is NOT true that I *must*
be mistaken.

Although in the case of magic green pens, I would say that you *must* be
mistaken if you can hear differences .

On what grounds? That is an empirical claim, is it not? It cannot be
true that I *must* be mistaken unless there is a flaw of logic. There
is no contradiction in saying I heard differences with a green edge
pen, now is there?

I *may* be mistaken (though the likelihood is
remote) but not because I saw what I was listening to.

That's one of the key points of the debate. We believe a very good
reason for you to be mistaken is if you know what you are listening to.
And you seem to think that you are above that.

The existence, degree, and effectiveness of this 'bias' is not
established to my satisfaction. You cannot exclude, a priori, the
possibility that I can hear differences between $100 Monster cable and
$50 Monster cable interconnect. You cannot merely claim that because I
can see which one is which that makes any perception of sonic
differences completely false. That strong a claim is not supportable.

I find it surprising that when listening to 7 different power amps, I
heard 7 distincly different sonic signatures. Of these, i was
'expecting' the best performance from the Harman Kardon. It was, in
fact, one of the worst. Any 'bias' hypothesis has a severe problem
with such an outcome. It is in fact a counter-example, and that alone
is enough to discredit the hypothesis altogether.

snip

[...]

These are not difficult questions. If anyone is interested, he can
arrange for such an experiment. I have no interest in doing so.

And why would you need a different kind of test? Isn't it the most
important to you whether *you* can tell the difference?

Absolutely. I could not care less what anyone else thinks.

And why are you
so concerned about making the test blind?

Who said anything about blind? I would simply say to repeat the kind
of listening test I conducted with a greater number of people.

It is very subjective I know, but when the
world of audiophile still cannot agree on when subjective listening rule
or objective testing rule, I think I'm happy with that.

Who cares if subjective listening rules or objectively listening rules?
And what does "rules" mean? By definition,listening is subjective. In a
case like cables, or green pens, sounding different, fortunately the DBT
can answer the question of whether those differences are real audible
differences.

No, DBT cannot. All it can tell is whether the issue is indeterminate.
A negative result in a DBT is an indeterminate result.

A negative result means you cannot tell the two things apart.

Under what conditions? With what kind of equipment? With my Stax
electrostatic headphones (driven by the power amp) I can hear all
kinds of things that might not be audible listeing to speakers. Most
speakers offer far less resolution that Stax Earspeakers. It is easy
to imagine that the negative result simply reflects the fact that the
system being used to test the component is insuficiently transparent.

Why is
that indeterminate, especially given how easy you can tell them apart in
sighted testing?

It was not 'negative'. I heard the differences.

And a positive result would mean that there are indeed sonic
differences. Hey, you can tell those skeptics that they are wrong after
all, that the green pen really works! Isn't that priceless?

I am certain that I heard the improvement on *some* discs. I do not
know why. The effect was subtle (basically, less noise) and did not
occur with all discs. This means that there are some aspects of the
way some discs are recorded or manufactured that are susceptible to
excess noise that the green edging in some way minimizes. It seemed to
have more effect on poorly-recorded discs.

I remember once my professor told me that: Engineer should be the most
open minded professional among all, without that open minded, the world
will not and cannot progress.

Being open mind also means being aware of the powers of perceptual bias.

These (if they exist) are not infinite. There is *some* point at which
these supposed factors no longer override the audible.

Sure, that's why DBT's of speakers are rather moot. But cables? You can
be sure that the powers of perception will overcome the subtle
differences, if any exist.

Begging the question. That is the question at issue, and no evidence
supports your claim. I have, as noted above, a counter-example that
explodes this hypothesis.

Panzzi

"josko" wrote in
:

Isn't this a case of circular reasoning? Cheap cable -- poor quality.
Expensive cable -- high quality. Sighted test reveals, to you, that
expensive cable sounds better than the cheap cable, on some ad-hoc
measure(s) that is/are relevant to you. Not surprising really. You
start with a hypothesis that there should be a difference in sound
between the two and then you find the evidence that this indeed is the
case. Ah... Human nature. Isn't confirmatory hypothesis testing
wonderful? And quite a problem to overcome if one's goal is to judge
equipment based on the sound alone.

I totally agree with you that cheap cable doesn't necessary mean poor
quality; expensive cable doesn't necessary mean high quality.

But what you tried to say (if I understand it right) is because somebody
start up "wanting" to distinguish sonic difference between two cables,
then he/she already bias?

What about somebody start up "wanting" to prove that there is no sonic
difference between two cables, then he/she is not bias?

And could somebody correct me if I am wrong...

Proved something not true doesn't always directly means that it is true?

I don't get it...

Panzzi

Michael Scarpitti

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, you cannot prove this.

You have been told this many times by many people, but
you absolutely refuse to take any notice of anything outside your own
beliefs.

I have no 'beliefs'. I have reported merely my 'experiences'.

This is not a good way to progress through life, IME. Perhaps
your compatriot is right, and that it's 'hardwired' into the Italian
psyche. Personally, I prefer to think that this is not so, and that
there is still hope!

ARGUMENTUM AD IGNORANTIAM

been shown to be false, or vice versa. Ad ignorantium arguments are
also known as "appeals to ignorance." This fallacy has two forms:

1. P is true, because it has not been proven false.
2. P is false, because it has not been proven true.

Do you see how this applies?

The reason
wine-tastings are blind is not because anyone believes that seeing the
label will affect his ability to taste. Seeing the label may affect
the score he gives to what he tastes. The wines of a winery with a
high reputation may be scored higher even though those wines may not
be any better, because the judges' evaluation may be affected, not
their taste.

You are quite wrong in your above statement regarding wine tasting.

No, I certainly am not. In professional wine tasting, the *opinion* of
the wine's quality may be influenced by the label, but no-one has ever
claimed that the label affects one's taste buds. This is not even
*plausible*.

The proof lies in a classic 'Candid Camera' episode in which several
wine glasses were set in front of open bottles of wines of wildly
varying price and reputation. The glasses were then filled *from one
bottle*, and the unwitting 'tasters' duly commented on many well-known
aspects of the wines contained in the bottles behind the glasses. Note
that it was *impossible* for taste to have varied here, and yet the
tasters reported many conflicting things about the same wine in the
different glasses. This is yet another prime demonstration that
sighted testing is useless for the determining of subtle differences.

This was not 'one' taster, now was it?

Joseph Oberlander

Walter Bushell wrote:

Comparisons between 50 cents a foot 'zipcord' and $1,000 a foot Kimber
Black Pearl show no differences. This should not be a surprise to any
reasonable person.

Were those DBT tests?

Yes they were.

You see - all you have to do is backtrack the wire itself to the
source(insulation types are moot at audio frequencies).

All wire comes from the same few smelting plants. They ship
out slabs of 99.99% pure copper to the entire industry - from
wire to copper for pots to jewelery to... it ALL comes from
the same source.

The metal is identical. No company re-smelts the copper, as
that would require bigger and more complex equipment than the
original smelting plant. They use the 99.99% pure copper and
extrude it into miles of wire(giant spools)

From there, it's made into hundreds of types of wires(this
is how Belkin and everyone else I know of does it).

Configuration is moot at audio frequencies(stranded vs solid),
and insulation is the same. Now, at T.V. or Radio or for a
Mic cord, yes, differences are apparent. But that's Mhz
or high-gain as opposed to a few Khz for audio.

Yes, it really IS just marketing and looks. Does that surprize
you that the bums are knowingly selling snake oil? The recent
piece on car financing on 60 Minutes shows just the tip of the
marketing sleaze out there.

MIKE

Back in the 90s, there was a publication - CD Review, which was owned by
Wayne Green. He actually advertised a green marking pen for CDs. It
was called "Balonium". I believe it sold for $3.50. The name of the
product as well as the name of the seller (Green) should tell you
something about the validity of the product. Face it - It was a spoof.
Anyone claiming to hear a difference was deluded by the power of
suggestion.

-MIKE

Ban

Panzzi wrote:
"josko" wrote in
:

[...]

Panzzi, you are right. Every evaluation should be done totally neutral, that
is why DBT is used. Of course the testing has to be done honestly, i.e. when
you hear a difference it should be also noted down. It is one preposition of
scientific approach to only valuate objective criteria, which is why DBT has
been developed.
Even if the sensation is a subjective quality, applying a technique like DBT
objectizes the results. Furthermore only a significant number of testers
will validate the results.

Proved something not true doesn't always directly means that it is
true?

I don't get it...

I do not get your logic either, you meant: it isn't

Panzzi

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Bruce Abrams

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
*snip*

They are saying that if you saw what you are listening to, then your
ability to differentiate subtle differences will be affected.

Prove that!

This has been proven over and over to you through the experience of many
listening tests. If you can hear a difference while sighted, and fail to
discern under blind conditions, the sighted test must be flawed. In order
for this to be proven to your satisfaction, apparently you will have to
engage in a blind listening test yourself, and you have thus far refused to
entertain the possibility. This is what we call self-defeating.

*snip*

It's actually like this: you must be wrong if you say that you cannot be
mistaken.

I *could* be mistaken (in principle) but it is NOT true that I *must*
be mistaken.

You have yet to admit that you could have been mistaken. The reason you
were likely to have been mistaken was the well know psycological effets of
bias.

Although in the case of magic green pens, I would say that you *must* be
mistaken if you can hear differences .

On what grounds? That is an empirical claim, is it not? It cannot be
true that I *must* be mistaken unless there is a flaw of logic. There
is no contradiction in saying I heard differences with a green edge
pen, now is there?

If you listened to 2 CDs that were physically identical and claimed to hear
a difference between them, would you agree that you were mistaken in what
you thought you heard, or would you insist that something must have been
changed between the disks? (Perhaps one was subjected to lower temperatures
during shipping, etc.) As regards as a green pen treated CD, there is no
physical property that can account for a change in sound any more that in
the example of the 2 identical CDs.

I *may* be mistaken (though the likelihood is
remote) but not because I saw what I was listening to.

That's one of the key points of the debate. We believe a very good
reason for you to be mistaken is if you know what you are listening to.
And you seem to think that you are above that.

The existence, degree, and effectiveness of this 'bias' is not
established to my satisfaction. You cannot exclude, a priori, the
possibility that I can hear differences between $100 Monster cable and
$50 Monster cable interconnect. You cannot merely claim that because I
can see which one is which that makes any perception of sonic
differences completely false. That strong a claim is not supportable.

As has been said many times, it may not invalidate a priori what you thought
you heard, but that fact that you used an inherently unreliable testing
protocol means that the test results require validation via a reliable (ie
blind) testing protocol in order to be validated. Why do you continue to
deny this requirement?

I find it surprising that when listening to 7 different power amps, I
heard 7 distincly different sonic signatures. Of these, i was
'expecting' the best performance from the Harman Kardon. It was, in
fact, one of the worst. Any 'bias' hypothesis has a severe problem
with such an outcome. It is in fact a counter-example, and that alone
is enough to discredit the hypothesis altogether.

This has again been explained to you ad-nauseum. Go back and re-read either
this or any other related thread to find out how this works. Bias is not
limited to meaning "you heard what you expected to hear", and since you
claim you had no expectations, you were therefore immune to bias. It
doesn't work that way.

*snip*
You need a different kind of test. You need a large sample of
*qualified* people to listen to two products and offer their opinions.
By 'qualified', I mean people who are experienced in listening to
high-quality audio equipment. If 75% of those queried hear a
difference, then that is significant.

Well, how exactly would you conduct this kind of test? What is the
sample size? Who declares the tester "qualified"? How do you do level
matching and other things to make sure that you are really comparing
only two things?

These are not difficult questions. If anyone is interested, he can
arrange for such an experiment. I have no interest in doing so.

And why would you need a different kind of test? Isn't it the most
important to you whether *you* can tell the difference?

Absolutely. I could not care less what anyone else thinks.

So why don't you construct a blind test with someone doing the product
switching for you? Put the question of what you can and can't hear to bed
once and for all?

*snip*
No, DBT cannot. All it can tell is whether the issue is indeterminate.
A negative result in a DBT is an indeterminate result.

A negative result means you cannot tell the two things apart.

Under what conditions? With what kind of equipment? With my Stax
electrostatic headphones (driven by the power amp) I can hear all
kinds of things that might not be audible listeing to speakers. Most
speakers offer far less resolution that Stax Earspeakers. It is easy
to imagine that the negative result simply reflects the fact that the
system being used to test the component is insuficiently transparent.

Why is
that indeterminate, especially given how easy you can tell them apart in
sighted testing?

It was not 'negative'. I heard the differences.

A statistically meaningful negative result in a dbt would, in fact, prove
that you couldn't hear any differences. Explain how again that would be
indeterminate?

And a positive result would mean that there are indeed sonic
differences. Hey, you can tell those skeptics that they are wrong after
all, that the green pen really works! Isn't that priceless?

I am certain that I heard the improvement on *some* discs. I do not
know why. The effect was subtle (basically, less noise) and did not
occur with all discs. This means that there are some aspects of the
way some discs are recorded or manufactured that are susceptible to
excess noise that the green edging in some way minimizes. It seemed to
have more effect on poorly-recorded discs.

See previous discussion of green pens above. Please answer the following
question to be sure we all understand your position. You are given two
identical in appearence CDs. Upon listening to them, you decide that they
sound different. Perhaps one seems to have more air around the instruments.
Please explain this phenomenon.

*snip*
TonyP

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 10 Apr 2004 05:05:03 GMT, Walter Bushell wrote:

In article , wrote:

snip

You are asking us to accept you are an exception to what has been so far
totaly repeatable in listening alone tests,ie. identify wire different
then the level of guessing. Confirmation oppertunities have been offered
with cash motivation to demonstrate you are an exception. Stax has no
majic so brandishing a brand name about is not confirmation to your
claimed exception that your repeorted experiences aren't due to the
perception process and not inherent in some factor of the wire. Why
should we accept that you are an exception?

Snip

Isn't it possible that some audiophile wire acts as tone controls? IIRC
some was shown to have inductive and capacitive amounts that could
reasonable be audible between some components.

The extreme ends of this in commercial cable are Alpha-Core 'Goertz'
MI cable (highly capacitive, very low inductance), and Naim NACA5
(fairly high inductance, low capacitance). I have compared these
cables directly, using low-impedance (3 ohms) speakers, and I heard no
differences whatever, although there was a measured 1.5dB droop at
20kHz with the Naim cable. Such a result should not come as a surprise
to anyone with a basic knowledge of electronics, and some experience
of listening tests.

Key word there is that *you* "heard" no difference, even though you
measured one.

TonyP

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

snip

I find it surprising that when listening to 7 different power amps, I
heard 7 distincly different sonic signatures. Of these, i was
'expecting' the best performance from the Harman Kardon. It was, in
fact, one of the worst. Any 'bias' hypothesis has a severe problem
with such an outcome. It is in fact a counter-example, and that alone
is enough to discredit the hypothesis altogether.

I have heard differences in some amps that I own. My Carver 1.5t does
not sound the same as my Onkyo M510 or the Counterpoint SA220. I was
giving a friend the Onkyo (didn't need 3 amps and just had the Carver
serviced and spec'ed), so we hooked it up to my Acoustat 1+1's medallion
mod speakers. We listened between the Onkyo and Counterpoint. They both
sounded very good. I would have thought that the SA220 would have
'destroyed' the Onkyo considering the price difference. The Onkyo cost
me $160, the Counterpoint, $2500. I would probably be hard pressed to
say which was better if my eyes were closed,or even if I could say which
was which. We only listened briefly. Possibly, with a more detailed
listening session, differences might have been heard. But, for that
brief session, the Onkyo and Counterpoint sounded the same. I gave him
the Onkyo. The Carver sounded 'different'. It was readily apparent.
Nothing subtle. I even hooked my Pioneer Elite receiver, then my JVC
receiver to the speakers, and *anyone* could hear the difference. These
are all products with vanishing low distortion and wide frequency
I have no ax to grind with those that can't hear a difference. Good for
you. You can save a lot of money and buy a competent receiver, Home
Depot speaker wire and Radio Shack gold interconnects, decent efficient
speakers and live in audio bliss. I wish that were the case for me.
Having the opportunity to audition different components in my home has
showed me that some cables do sound different. Some amps do sound
different. Some pre amps do sound different. The choice is which sound
the 'best' to me and what I can afford.
And, it won't be a competent receiver with RS gold interconnects, HD
speaker wire and my Von Schweikert VR4's or Acoustat 1+1's. Been there,
done that. Got many tee shirts.

Bob Marcus

Panzzi wrote:

chung wrote in

[...]

Financially for him, yeah. But is it successful because he made a cable that
really sounded better, or because he managed to fool a customer into
thinking it sounded better? That makes a difference to some of us.

And as
a matter of fact, when I picked up a speaker cable, I would not know what
is inside, what material or technology they claimed they used. If that is
the case, how can that affect my judgement? Would it be the packaging of
cables? Or the appearance of the cables?

Could be anything. Could be something you read about them, or something the
salesman told you about them, or something you ate for breakfast. Simply
knowing that two cables are different is enough to prompt you to expect them
to sound different. Your mind can play all kinds of tricks on you, as
psychologists learned a long time ago.

I wouldn't say you are wrong, since you really believe that you heard
those differences. I would say that if you do a careful bias
controlled test, you may not hear those differences.

But in a "normal" world, do we have to do a DBT like 20 times before we
can open our eyes to see what cables we just plug into our system? I
mean, in a testing environment, it might work; but for everyday life, how
can you do that.

You could if it mattered enough to you. Alternatively, you could learn a
little about the technology involved. You'd find out just what
characteristics of cables affect signals at audio frequencies--and how much
they do. Then you'd learn a little about the known thresholds of human
hearing, and you'd discover that--for most cables in most systems--the
differences aren't large enough to be audible.

I mean, even you go to Home Depot to pick up the ugly looking 12AWG zip-
cord, you will need to see them, right? But would that affect your
ability to "distinguish" it from the "other" cables since you have seen
it already, one way or the other, how can ensure yourself would not bias
on that zip-cord against another speaker cables?

"Sighted" is a term of art here. It does not mean that you have never seen
the cables you are comparing. In fact, you can see the cables you are
comparing while you are conducting a blind test. You just can't see the back
of the speakers or amplifiers, to know which ones are connected at any given
time.

Who cares if subjective listening rules or objectively listening
rules? And what does "rules" mean? By definition,listening is
subjective. In a case like cables, or green pens, sounding different,
fortunately the DBT can answer the question of whether those
differences are real audible differences.

By saying "rule", I mean whether subjective or objective will become the
mainstream of cable testing? Should we rely on the characteristic
(number) of the wire like the L, C, R, say if A wire has lower L than B
wire, then A is better than B.

Well, given that L, C and R are in fact the only characteristics of cables
that can affect the sound, yes you should rely on them. Shouldn't you?

Or if I plug in A wire for you to listen,
and then plug in B wire afterward (signted most likely), you like B, then
B is better than A for you; I like A, then A is better than B for me.
Nobody should or can say, "hey, you are wrong! Because both A and B are
the same." I mean, I like A, it doesn't matter that you like A or B or
even C, that doesn't really concern you, right?

Nope, doesn't concern me. And if you want to say that A sounds better to
you, go right ahead. But don't tell me that your saying so proves they sound
different. Because they probably don't.

Being open mind also means being aware of the powers of perceptual
bias. And being open mind does not mean that we will entertain any
crazy theory, like magic green pens improving sound, without asking
for proofs.

I tell you what, name any present technology was not started from "crazy
theory".

No present technologies were started from crazy theories. They were started
from plausible theories. There's a difference. Given everything we know
about cables, and everything we know about human hearing, "cable sound" is
not plausible. It's the other thing.

Fifty years ago, if I told you you can carry a 3" x 2" little box and
talk to your grandma in England, would you think it is a crazy theory?

Forty years ago, when you walk into a 200 sq.ft. room full of flashing
light equipment that you can only communicate with it through a 1" width
paper tape, if I told you you can "shrink" all these and place on your
lap and communicate with it through your own voice, would you think it is
a crazy theory?

And the example can go on and on and on...

But there are even more examples of crazy theories that *didn't* pan out.
Alchemy. Laetrile. On and on and on...

bob

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:28:41 GMT, Panzzi wrote:

(S888Wheel) wrote in

So I guess that makes nearly every speaker audition worthless.
Gosh I guess that makes normal home listening in general worthless.

Goosh! I wonder who will do a DBT on speakers, power amplifier, pre-amp,
cd-player before purchase any of the above?

I certainly do on amps and CD players, but not on speakers.

You can't just walk into a store blind-folded and start doing switching
speakers 20 times before buying a pair of speakers, right? I wouldn't...

Then, does that qualified as "sighted test".

Well, I don't get it is why you can do sighted test on other components but
you can't do it on cables?

I just don't get it...

It's very simple. Differences among speakers are very large, so a
blind test would give 100% results in each case, and is therefore a
waste of time.

OTOH, differences among competent (i.e. not SET) amplifiers and CD
polayers are very small, and audible differences among cables are
noon-existent.

Walter Bushell

In article , chung
wrote:
Snip

Sure, that's why DBT's of speakers are rather moot. But cables? You can
be sure that the powers of perception will overcome the subtle
differences, if any exist.

Snip

So if your funds are limited put your money into things that survive DBT.
Better speakers rather than expensive cable, for example.

BTW Radio Shack solid core cable 18 guage gets an OK rating from
"Sterophile". 3.99 60ft spool. Next cheapest cable is like $10 ft.
Highly recommended cables go for $12K for a 12 foot pair. [April 2004
pp. 153] I'd love to have 6K to spend on speakers.

Knowing Radio Shack it's no better than it should be so more or less any
cable should work.

chung

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

chung wrote in message ...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:
[...]

So you have not read any of the references provided on this subject?

You may
not be mistaken, but you cannot say that you are for sure *not* mistaken
(and that seems to be what you were saying). There is a fine, but
important difference there.

No, they are saying I am and *must* be mistaken, because all cables
sound alike, (they say), and that claim is supoorted by the claim that
if I do hear differences I must be mistaken!

That is surely,
absolutely unsupportable, and THEY *must* be wrong if they say I
*must* be mistaken.

It's actually like this: you must be wrong if you say that you cannot be
mistaken.

I *could* be mistaken (in principle) but it is NOT true that I *must*
be mistaken.

So, to cut to the meat of the debate, do you now believe that you could
be mistaken when you said those cables sound different? Or that the
green pens make a difference in sound?

You didn't before.

(snip the rest, since it bascially repeats what others and you have been
arguing.)

josko

Panzzi wrote:

"josko" wrote in
:

[...]

1. Physical reality (based on research in psychoacoustics and electrical
engineering) is such that there could not be an audible difference
between a $50 and a $100 Monster interconnect, unless one of them is
broken.

2. Also, we know (from psychology and from behavioral decision theory)
that confirmatory reasoning is one, only one mind you, bias exhibited by
decision makers. Basically it "biases" processing and evaluation of
informational inputs in such a way that "supports" some preconceived
notion, which could be either strongly or weakly held. "Quasi-experts"
are especially prone to this. This tendency manifests itself in
different ways. For example, once you think you've heard the
difference, you attend to the difference by paying special attention to
say "ability of the cable to resolve inner detail" and you "hear" that
effect over and over again. Also, biased decision maker typically
treats non-diagnostic information (not relevant for judgment) as being
diagnostic (relevant for judgment) for the judgment at hand. For
example, brand name, price, type of conductor (silver vs. copper)....
become important when judging cable sound even though they are not.
Decision makers need not to be always fully conscious of these
influences. Note: conductor and dielectric (say silver and teflon) may
be important in theory, but in practice they are not since they do not
change the signal sufficiently so that the change is detectable by ear,
unless the cable is deliberately designed to act as a tone control.

3. Put 1 and 2 together -- people hear difference between a $50 and a
$100 Monster interconnect in a sighted test. Conclusion: their
evaluation was biased.

What about somebody start up "wanting" to prove that there is no sonic
difference between two cables, then he/she is not bias?

Easy -- use a test with implemented bias controls (e.g., level matched
DBT).

Panzzi

"Bob Marcus" wrote in

No present technologies were started from crazy theories. They were
started from plausible theories. There's a difference. Given
everything we know about cables, and everything we know about human
hearing, "cable sound" is not plausible. It's the other thing.

Not really! Some years ago, there was a guy said or try to prove that the
earth is round, the impact was so big that people regarded him as crazy,
of course, crazy person had crazy theory not "plausible theory", and they
barbeque him later on, remember who?

What I'm trying to say is, engineers should have an open minded to hear
everything without saying, "it is impossible!" Because the only thing
that is impossible in this world is, "it is impossible". Everything is
possible, might be not now you can prove it. So you'll say, "I won't buy
it because I can't convince myself base on my knowledge".

But there are even more examples of crazy theories that *didn't* pan
out. Alchemy. Laetrile. On and on and on...

Alchemy is interesting, could somebody ever think of we can turn a piece
of charcoal into diamond? Isn't it some fancy Alchemy we are talking
about... if we were born 200 years ago? And believe it or not, modern so
called "material science" is inspired by so called "crazy" Alchemy.

I had an interesting experience in regarding to cable.

I once picked up two different kind of copper cables and made two power
cords all using the same AC plug and IEC connector.

I don't know what should I expect, and I performed a listening test on
both of them, remember I don't know what should I expect, I don't even
know or expect they are difference.

I used the power cord on my power-amp., and guess what? One of them gave
me significant different on bass and the other just don't.

I then asked my wife to perform the same test without knowing what to
expect, she pointed out the same result.

I then asked one of my so called audiophile friends, who has been with
Hi-end stuffs for the past 30 years, same test without expectation, he
pointed out the same result.

The funny thing is after that, I used another two different wires to make
another two power cords... well, this time, even I believe that I was
wasting my time.

I can't explain it if I accept the "wire is wire" theory. Oh... of course
you can say I am a big fat lier!

Panzzi

Panzzi

"Bob Marcus" wrote in

The argument is not about their experience. The argument is about the
significance of their experience. There are sound scientific reasons
for believing that most cables (and interconnects) on the market are
sonically indistinguishable. There are also sound scientific reasons
for believing that people often imagine differences between things
that are not actually different.

Well, I tell you what. If there exist something that can change your
sense, that can make you imagine "thing" that doesn't exist, then we
should be really scare of it. I wonder how they can do that? As a matter
of fact, there is no prove by now that this item exist. Thanks God!

So when someone says he hears differences between two cables that are
not actually different enough to matter sonically, it is
scientifically reasonable to conclude that he imagined those
differences. It is a free world, as you say, and you are free to
disagree with that conclusion.

bob

So, you will only believe what nowaday science proved? I think you're
not. Take "do you love your parents/girlfriend/wife/kids/Ferrari?" as an
example, no scientific theory whatsoever can prove it. You just do!

Take "your next step", if you need scientific confirm before your next
step, you will never walk again, might be never sit as well.

The other night I was watching TV, they were saying scientists found
evidence that there was water on Mars, so a step closer to prove that
there are/were living creature on Mars. I can't help but laugh at so
called scientists! What make them think creature on Mars need water?
oxygen? Or even living in a form that we can detect?

We have so many things that science cannot explain just on this earth,
but they are here, thousands of years, million of years, and they are
still here. What make you say that, "if that against the law of science,
that must be wrong!"

No science can fully explain how our brain work, and you conclude that if
I can hear something that "scientifically proved" not exist, and I must
be wrong?

Panzzi

Michael Scarpitti

Bruce Abrams wrote in message news:oPfec.116870$w54.831648@attbi_s01...
"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
*snip*
No, I certainly am not. In professional wine tasting, the *opinion* of
the wine's quality may be influenced by the label, but no-one has ever
claimed that the label affects one's taste buds. This is not even
*plausible*.

No one ever suggested the taste buds were affected. It is the brain's
interpretation of the taste bud's neural impulses that is affected.

No, it is the 'opinion' rendered on the rating sheet that is affected.
Here, of course, it is expected that differences exist. No-one expects
every wine of a certain type to tatse identical. The tasting is to
evaluate the differences, not to deny that they exist!

Suppose the tasting includes a number of wines from a particular grape
that is groen internationally, such as Chardonnay. No-one expects a
Chardonnay from Puglia in Italy to taste identical to one from Tuscany
or Piedmont, or from Australia, California, or France. In fact, no-one
expects any two wines from successive vintages of the same vinyard to
taste identical.

The purpose of the DBT is to keep the prestige of the label from
affecting the results of the tastings.

And in
listening, no one has questioned what the sound actually does to the ear
drum. The only issue that has ever been contemplated is the brain's
interpretation of the sound. You have claimed that your brain is impervious
to the biases that are *universally* accepted as fact in the greater
scientific world.

There is in fact no such '*universally* accepted' scientific evidence.

I'm reminded of an old Yiddish proverb, "If 3 people tell
you you're drunk, lie down and take a nap."

The proof lies in a classic 'Candid Camera' episode in which several
wine glasses were set in front of open bottles of wines of wildly
varying price and reputation. The glasses were then filled *from one
bottle*, and the unwitting 'tasters' duly commented on many well-known
aspects of the wines contained in the bottles behind the glasses. Note
that it was *impossible* for taste to have varied here, and yet the
tasters reported many conflicting things about the same wine in the
different glasses. This is yet another prime demonstration that
sighted testing is useless for the determining of subtle differences.

This was not 'one' taster, now was it?

Irrelevant.

Michael Scarpitti

"Ban" wrote in message ...
Panzzi wrote:

What about somebody start up "wanting" to prove that there is no sonic
difference between two cables, then he/she is not bias?

And could somebody correct me if I am wrong...

Panzzi, you are right. Every evaluation should be done totally neutral, that
is why DBT is used.

DBT *may* be neutral, but it may also be insensitive. The method in
itself may be neutral, but if the equipment used in the test is not
capable of offering sufficient resolution, the test is meaningless. It
would be like testing speakers with old scratchy 78's played with a
ceramic cartidge and steel needles.

Michael Scarpitti

"W. Oland" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:27:43 +0000, Panzzi wrote:

But what you tried to say (if I understand it right) is because somebody
start up "wanting" to distinguish sonic difference between two cables,
then he/she already bias?

What about somebody start up "wanting" to prove that there is no sonic
difference between two cables, then he/she is not bias?

And could somebody correct me if I am wrong...

The point is that you don't even need to consciously "want" a certain
result for sighted factors to influence a person's perception of an item's
quality or performance. That's one reason that product designers spend so
much time on the visual appearance of a product (along with its packaging,
marketing and so on.) They are trying to introduce, at the very least, a
subconscious bias in favor of their product.

This is impossible to substantiate. Why would I not like the Harman
Kardon amp's sound when I 'expected' to? I ended up by the denon amp,
of which I had no particular opinion beforehand.

You must understand I had formed no specific opinions or impressions
of any of the 7 amps before I listened to them. The differences were
substantial, differences that are impossible to attribute to any
psychological source. I am not referring to 'subtle' differences, but
gross ones.

Continued repetition of the argument that I must have been mistaken is
without merit. I could not in any way have been mistaken that all 7
amps sounded different.

S888Wheel

Date: 4/11/2004 11:12 AM Pacific Standard Time

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:28:41 GMT, Panzzi wrote:

(S888Wheel) wrote in

So I guess that makes nearly every speaker audition worthless.
Gosh I guess that makes normal home listening in general worthless.

Goosh! I wonder who will do a DBT on speakers, power amplifier, pre-amp,
cd-player before purchase any of the above?

I certainly do on amps and CD players, but not on speakers.

So as per your assertions on sighted tests, does this make all your speaker
evaluations worthless?

You can't just walk into a store blind-folded and start doing switching
speakers 20 times before buying a pair of speakers, right? I wouldn't...

Then, does that qualified as "sighted test".

Well, I don't get it is why you can do sighted test on other components but
you can't do it on cables?

I just don't get it...

It's very simple. Differences among speakers are very large, so a
blind test would give 100% results in each case, and is therefore a
waste of time.

For differences yes. For preferences no. Sighted bias affects preferences in
speaker auditions. It often surprises me that some people devote so much time
and effort to an argument about amps and cables while neglecting an issue that
, by their own beliefs, plagues their selection of what they believe is the
only really important decision in audio.

Joseph Oberlander

Bruce Abrams wrote:

If you listened to 2 CDs that were physically identical and claimed to hear
a difference between them, would you agree that you were mistaken in what
you thought you heard, or would you insist that something must have been
changed between the disks? (Perhaps one was subjected to lower temperatures
during shipping, etc.) As regards as a green pen treated CD, there is no
physical property that can account for a change in sound any more that in
the example of the 2 identical CDs.

Well, other than defects

People have this odd idea that CDs are like fancy LPs. A closer
comparison would be a hard drive. Either it reads the data correctly
or it fails completely due to errors. Only two choices, so condition
is by design, moot until it can no longer be properly read.

I am certain that I heard the improvement on *some* discs. I do not
know why. The effect was subtle (basically, less noise) and did not
occur with all discs. This means that there are some aspects of the
way some discs are recorded or manufactured that are susceptible to
excess noise that the green edging in some way minimizes. It seemed to
have more effect on poorly-recorded discs.

I don't have the post in front of me, but if you do a search in
Google News, you should find the original. It started as a joke
in rec.audio.opinion years ago and took on a life of its own. The
"green pen" is a verifiable hoax.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:27:35 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

I could not care less what anyone else thinks.

Says it all, really.....................

With my Stax
electrostatic headphones (driven by the power amp) I can hear all
kinds of things that might not be audible listeing to speakers.

You do not know this to be true, since you have never verified your
opinions in a blind test.

Most
speakers offer far less resolution that Stax Earspeakers. It is easy
to imagine that the negative result simply reflects the fact that the
system being used to test the component is insuficiently transparent.

However, many speakers *do* offer similar resolutuion to Stax 'phones,
and not one single person has *ever* proven an ability to hear
differences among cables. Why are you so afraid to try?

Why is
that indeterminate, especially given how easy you can tell them apart in
sighted testing?

It was not 'negative'. I heard the differences.

So you *claim*, but there is no proof that what you 'heard' has any
existence in the physical world.

And a positive result would mean that there are indeed sonic
differences. Hey, you can tell those skeptics that they are wrong after
all, that the green pen really works! Isn't that priceless?

I am certain that I heard the improvement on *some* discs. I do not
know why. The effect was subtle (basically, less noise) and did not
occur with all discs. This means that there are some aspects of the
way some discs are recorded or manufactured that are susceptible to
excess noise that the green edging in some way minimizes. It seemed to
have more effect on poorly-recorded discs.

Utter rubbish! Green pens simply have *no effect* whatever, either
measurable or audible.