Posted to rec.audio.pro,
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default Mac PC Digi 002...a cautionary tale

So a friend comes over yesterday with a mix on CD. There are some problems.
We decide to remix. He's on an 002 with a PC laptop. I have a Mac tower and
an 002.

I tell him to go home, burn the session folder to a CD and bring it back. He
calls. The session folder is 2.1 GB! Won't fit on a CD and his laptop can't
burn DVDs.

He brings the laptop and Firewire cable. We plug into my 002. PTLE on his
laptop will not recognize my 002 hardware?! We try different cables, nada.
I'm at 7.1 and he's at 6.7, but I don't think that should make a difference.

Bizarre.

I suggest offloading the files from his laptop to my firewire drives. The PC
laptop will not see either of my drives or a USB stick!!!!

Double Bizarre!!

We fall back to burning several CDs on his laptop and importing them to my
Mac. Mission accomplished.

WTF is up with PCs that don't recognize firewire drives and USB memory
sticks?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro,
philicorda[_3_] philicorda[_3_] is offline

On Sun, 27 May 2007 12:35:43 -0400, Ty Ford wrote:

So a friend comes over yesterday with a mix on CD. There are some problems.
We decide to remix. He's on an 002 with a PC laptop. I have a Mac tower and
an 002.

I tell him to go home, burn the session folder to a CD and bring it back. He
calls. The session folder is 2.1 GB! Won't fit on a CD and his laptop can't
burn DVDs.

He brings the laptop and Firewire cable. We plug into my 002. PTLE on his
laptop will not recognize my 002 hardware?! We try different cables, nada.
I'm at 7.1 and he's at 6.7, but I don't think that should make a difference.

Bizarre.

The technical explanation for this phenomenon is that computers suck.

I suggest offloading the files from his laptop to my firewire drives. The PC
laptop will not see either of my drives or a USB stick!!!!

Double Bizarre!!

We fall back to burning several CDs on his laptop and importing them to my
Mac. Mission accomplished.

WTF is up with PCs that don't recognize firewire drives and USB memory
sticks?

How were the drives and memory stick formatted? Was it HFS+?
I think Windows can only read FAT32, FAT12 and NTFS by default.

By the way, if you've got the computers in the same room, you might as
well transfer the data over ethernet. Use a crossover cable between the
two and make an SMB share. Or an anonymous FTP server on the Mac, as it's
much simpler than SMB shares and every OS comes with an ftp client of some
description.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
kooz kooz is offline

On May 27, 12:35 pm, Ty Ford wrote:
So a friend comes over yesterday with a mix on CD. There are some problems.
We decide to remix. He's on an 002 with a PC laptop. I have a Mac tower and
an 002.

I tell him to go home, burn the session folder to a CD and bring it back. He
calls. The session folder is 2.1 GB! Won't fit on a CD and his laptop can't
burn DVDs.

He brings the laptop and Firewire cable. We plug into my 002. PTLE on his
laptop will not recognize my 002 hardware?! We try different cables, nada.
I'm at 7.1 and he's at 6.7, but I don't think that should make a difference.

Bizarre.

Um, possibly not. I seem to recall there was an update included in
one of the versions of 'Tools between 6 and 7. The oo2 you have might
use a more advanced firmware version than his because you're using a
newer version of the software. Get on the phone with him, juice up
your interfaces, hit the F1 buttons in Standby mode, select Info, then
compare System, Boot and Fader Versions. I'll wager some or all of
yours are higher/newer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

philicorda wrote:

The technical explanation for this phenomenon is that computers suck.

Hey, that's FAQtual material! g

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam