Shriram

Default Dual 8" vs single 10 or dual 10"

Question from a newbie

Assuming equivalent drivers, sufficient power etc are dual 8"s more
accurate, tight than a single or dual 10's? Beleive 12" might be too boomy.

I know in home audio, 3 8"'s like Vandersteen is well regarded. And good
10's or 12's are also not boomy.

I have an 97 Integra GSR hatchback, and want accurate bass. Have a Pioneer
Premier DEH-640P with I believe stock speakers.

Shriram

I think proper crossover points and not sub size determines whether your
bass sounds boomy or not. I wanted to get really techincal with my subs and
build my own box, etc, but finally I realized I wasn't going to find the
time to do it.

So... I decided to get the factory boxed Polk MM10 from sounddomain.com
which is on sale at $139, total after shipping was $162. I didn't want to
spend time buying a separate sub, having to build a box, etc. I'm running it
on 100W RMS Alpine mono amp.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I've been very happy with it.

-T

"Shriram" wrote in message
Question from a newbie

Assuming equivalent drivers, sufficient power etc are dual 8"s more
accurate, tight than a single or dual 10's? Beleive 12" might be too

boomy.

I know in home audio, 3 8"'s like Vandersteen is well regarded. And good
10's or 12's are also not boomy.

I have an 97 Integra GSR hatchback, and want accurate bass. Have a

Pioneer
Premier DEH-640P with I believe stock speakers.

Shriram

---

sanitarium

IMHO an often overlooked aspect of the subwoofer install is the crossover
point. I prefer them crossed over no higher than 50-65 Hz that way the
front image has more lower bass. Also by doing this the "kick" and
perceived initial impact comes more from the midbass speakers. Youre not
going to win any SPL contestes with this set up, but IMHO its better for
imaging and SUB-bass performance (Telarc 1812 for example). IMHO 350-50 Hz
acoustic bass and bass guitar notes sound better coming from kickpanel and
rear quarter panel midbass speakers than subwoofers.

A lot of newer guitar players are tuning down to low-D, using 7- string
guitars, bigger cabinets and palm muting their power chords for more thump.
Theres a lot of lower bass tones going on there that sound like crap when
reproduced through a subwoofer... IMHO

Key to this is tuning your subs low, High Xmax / Low Fs midbass speakers,
and lots of headroom from your midbass amplifier.

I bottomed out my Legacy 6.5s the other day on Some Mike Portnoy kick
drum... "SMACK!! Geez WTF was that!!!" So I'm looking for some new midbass
speakers.

Garrett