EggHd

Default Indie radio in L.A.

I lifted this from another forum. File sharing!

Los Angeles' 103.1, America's coolest commercial station

At a time when corporate-owned radio stations play the same proven hits in
the same niche formats over and over, a new Los Angeles station, Indie
103.1, is finding success the opposite way: by spinning an unpredictable mix
of new groups and old favorites in the spirit of free-form FM stations of
the Seventies. "It's a little band of renegades terrorizing the dial," says
Michael Steele, 103.1's program director. On one recent afternoon, listeners
heard the Chemical Brothers, the Descendents and underground goth-metallers
H.I.M., as well as Jet, Bright Eyes and Johnny Cash.

And while its listenership is small so far, Indie is on the cutting edge of
a larger trend at alternative-rock radio to replace hard-rock staples such
as Korn and Limp Bizkit with younger bands such as the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and
Franz Ferdinand.

Indie is owned by Entravision Communications, a Santa Monica, California,
media company with fifty-eight stations nationwide, most of them
broadcasting in Spanish. It was a dance station until Christmas 2003, when
executives decided to plunge into rock. The format is dominated in L.A. by
Infinity Broadcasting's KROQ 106.7 and Clear Channel Communications' KIIS
102.7. Indie 103's signal can't match the giants' range, but Entravision
says that Indie is profitable.

"The demographics were perfect for a modern rock station that concentrated
on things that KROQ isn't playing," says Jeffrey Liberman, president of
Entravision. "Giving our programmer more freedom to play what isn't on the
other stations is good for business. It fills a need in the community."

Clear Channel, the nation's biggest radio-station owner, actually buys
Indie's advertising inventory space and resells it -- a business
relationship that's not uncommon but has sometimes created confusion about
who owns the station. In fact, Steele is a former Clear Channel employee (he
once worked as a music director for KIIS). But the station operates far
outside the realm of corporate radio. At the moment, Indie 103 has only four
employees -- including music director Mark Sovel, who cut his teeth
volunteering at a local pirate radio station, KBLT. "Clear Channel is off in
their other building selling the commercials," Sovel says. "Nobody is really
telling us what to do, programmingwise."

A sampling of 103.1's playlist:

1. "Maps," Yeah Yeah Yeahs 2. "Ball and Biscuit," the White Stripes 3.
"They," Jem 4. "Inertiatic ESP," the Mars Volta 5. "Turncoat," Anti-Flag 6.
"Chain," the Fire Theft 7. "Big Brat," Phantom Planet 8. "Ride," the Vines
9. "1974," Ryan Adams 10. "Dynomite," Ima Robot

---------------------------------------
Benjamin Maas

I was just listening to this station recently and it really is a breath of
fresh air in commercial radio here in LA. Before, the only places you could
get indy radio were at KXLU out of Loyola Marymount Univ. and KCRW- both of
which are public radio stations.

I certainly hope they survive.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

"EggHd" wrote in message news...
[...]

Roger W. Norman

Too bad they aren't 'net broadcasting, but I guess that's still too
expensive.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"EggHd" wrote in message
[...]

initialsBB

"Benjamin Maas" wrote in message news:YQ7yc.14218$0y.4693@attbi_s03...
I was just listening to this station recently and it really is a breath of
fresh air in commercial radio here in LA. Before, the only places you could
get indy radio were at KXLU out of Loyola Marymount Univ. and KCRW- both of
which are public radio stations.

I certainly hope they survive.

--Ben

I wonder how long this will last. It looks like Clear Channel are
using this station as a tool to peel listeners away from KROQ.

http://articles.findarticles.com/p/a...6/ai_112360635

EggHd

My wife LOVES this station. I have trouble getting it in my Jeep. Bummer.

Yeah their signal stinks in my neck of the woods.

---------------------------------------
slidge

I lifted this from another forum. File sharing!

Los Angeles' 103.1, America's coolest commercial station

Does anyone know if 103.1 WRNR is still broadcasting in the
Annapolis/Baltimore region? Now *that* is an awesome indie station.

slidge

Too bad they aren't 'net broadcasting, but I guess that's still too
expensive.

http://indie1031.fm/listenlive.html
Hal Laurent

"slidge" wrote in message
s.com...

Does anyone know if 103.1 WRNR is still broadcasting in the
Annapolis/Baltimore region? Now *that* is an awesome indie station.

They're still around. I haven't heard them in a long time, as there
broadcast pattern is strange and hard to pick up in many areas.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

David Newton

"Indie" 103 is of course not even remotely indie - it is indeed a
Clearchannel station. And yes the station possibly did come about partly
to rub KROQ's nose in some dung (the 103.1 freq here in LA has seen many
formats over the years but very little success!)

Seems it was lying dormant & someone fancied ****ing with KROQ -
intially they just played music (the so called "modern rock") with no
dj's or anything. But, I have to admit they have a wonderfully
unpretentious anarchaic balance of great music, off the wall presenters
(Sex Pistols Steve Jones, Henry Rollins, a great Saturday morning no
bull**** import show) that it just beats the pants off of ANY station
here in LA!

Corporate owned or not, I would rather listen to Indie 103 than those
brown-ricer phonies at "eclectic" NPR's KCRW anyday. I don't know about
you, but it drives me mental at pledge drive time when they plead for my
hard earned dollars while they drive around the Westside in their
Mercedes SUV's using the $$ I pledged to re-locate another guy from the
other side of the country who basically plays records like the guy from
LA did perfectly well previously!!! Or something like that!

http://www.fondamusic.com/rollercoaster/

Benjamin Maas

"Jay-AtlDigi" wrote in message ...
In article ,
(David Newton) wrote:

"Indie" 103 is of course not even remotely indie - it is indeed a
Clearchannel station.

My understanding was that it was not owned by Clearchannel, but that
Clearchannel sold their advertising. Basically, Clearchannel buys the
whole block of ad time at a low rate and resells it at a higher rate,
but the station ownership is not Clearchannel and thus can determine
their own playlist and run it how they please. Entravision I think is
the company that owns the station. They have a handful of mainly Spanish
language station I believe.
--
Jay Frigoletto
Mastersuite

The interesting thing about Clearchannel in that respect (or scary depending
on how you look at it) is that they have been doing that with a lot of
different stations lately. There was a big controversy a number of months
back here when it was announced that Clearchannel was going to be handling a
certain amount of KUSC's (the public classical station) corporate
fundraising. In return for the supposedly higher amount of money they could
raise, they would pocket a share of it. Needless to say, the classical
establishment wasn't too happy about hopping in bed with Clearchannel.

I don't know if it actually went through or not, though...

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

Mike Rivers

In article Hz0zc.33650$0y.28035@attbi_s03 writes:

There was a big controversy a number of months
back here when it was announced that Clearchannel was going to be handling a
certain amount of KUSC's (the public classical station) corporate
fundraising. In return for the supposedly higher amount of money they could
raise, they would pocket a share of it. Needless to say, the classical
establishment wasn't too happy about hopping in bed with Clearchannel.

The corporate world has been raiding the arts world for years. Most of
our traditional folk music festivals have banners over the stages with
the name of a sponsor. The Washington Folk Festival, which was always
a joint venture with the National Park Service that owned and operated
Glen Echo Park, the festival venue.

A local commercial group raised a lot more money a few years ago, more
money than the park had ever seen in their NPS budget, for renovating
the facilities. Part of the deal was that they would provide financial
management of the part, with the NPS people working as service
providers. The Folklore Society of Greater Washington was somewhat
hesitant to get in bed with such a commercial venture, particularly
since it involved paying the organization for the use of the park and
providing our own insurance, but the organization promised (and
apparently came through with) to find sufficient sponsorship to pay
all the costs and make some money for both organizations. If it works,
fine.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

writes:

There was a big controversy a number of months
back here when it was announced that Clearchannel was going to be

handling a
certain amount of KUSC's (the public classical station) corporate
fundraising. In return for the supposedly higher amount of money they

could
raise, they would pocket a share of it. Needless to say, the classical
establishment wasn't too happy about hopping in bed with Clearchannel.

The corporate world has been raiding the arts world for years. Most of
our traditional folk music festivals have banners over the stages with
the name of a sponsor.

It's the other way arond... the non-profits are constantly asking the
corporate world for donations. I would bet (and win) that the sponsorhsip
you mentioned was not an idea floated by someone at a for-profit
corporation, but rather it was concocted as a way to give the donating
entity some value for their dollar besides that of a tax writeoff.
--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock

[...]

In article

OSPAM writes:

It's the other way arond... the non-profits are constantly asking the
corporate world for donations. I would bet (and win) that the

sponsorhsip
you mentioned was not an idea floated by someone at a for-profit
corporation, but rather it was concocted as a way to give the donating
entity some value for their dollar besides that of a tax writeoff.

In the case of the Glen Echo park, the for-profit corporation that
manages the park solicited sponsorship from for-profit corporations
that could use a tax deduction, some publicity, and image-building.
There are clearing houses for corporations looking for nice places to
put their money. Placing money is big business now.

Yes, I've heard of this - they use the placement firms so that they can
actually have time to conduct business & not have to deal with
solicitations for "gifts" all day every day.

The solicitaion by the non-profits mostly goes on at a lower level
today - asking the local ice cream shop or nail salon to sponsor the
school play by taking an ad in the program book.

Not in my experience - the company I'm with gets hit up so often & they ask
for so much money (they don't just ask for "Anything you can give will
help" anymore, now they're saying "We'd like to offer you this package for
$10,000") that if we gave to half of the organizations that solicated, we'd
end up being a non-profit, too.
--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock
http://www.saqqararecords.com

Roger W. Norman

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
If I gave money to all the organizations that call me or knock on my
door, and gave old clothes and furniture to all the "goodwill-like"
organizations, I'd not only be broke, I'd be homeless.

I just tell all callers that my charity contributions are already planned
out and they aren't on the list. And, it's true, so I don't feel bad about
it. They may be going "Sure, yeah right" at the end of the conversation,
but I know that I've got yearly contributions to the Police Benevolent
Societ and the Sheriff's Association, AMVets and a couple where I simply
stuff envelopes and supply stamps. After that, charity starts with my
children's and grandchildren's start in life when I can. That's about the
best I can do.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Roger W. Norman

Now that's a scam. I did it for the Lighthouse for the Blind, but once you
get an initial order, they constantly called back, and their 8,000 hour
lights lasted maybe a week, so it wasn't worth the effort to send them back
just to get more bad lightbulbs. So they are off my list.

But hey, I even went to my local firestation and cooked for the guys a
couple of times. Became problematic doing so because the cops started
dropping by on my scheduled nights and I never knew how much to buy. Plus,
it just plain got expensive feeding 15+ people.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

I just tell all callers that my charity contributions are already

planned
out and they aren't on the list. And, it's true, so I don't feel bad

about
it.

That's about what I say too, but when the local police and volunteer
fire department call asking me to buy light bulbs, it's a little
harder to say "no" (but I do anyway).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )