che1

Default A beginner with questions about digitally recording a seminar speaker

Any pro's out there with information to share on any
of these following questions?

Question 1-
What microphone should I get?
My goal is to produce as-professional sounding
recordings as possible of a seminar speaker using
an Olympus DM-1 digital voice recorder.
My set-up is pretty low budget:
She needs the mobility and
unobtrusiveness that a lavalier
or a clip-on mike provides.
What is the best mike of that type in my budget range
(Hopefully not much more than $125).
What I use now is an old Aiwa clip-on,
so cheap it doesn't even have a model # on it!
My recordings when burned onto CD sound really cheesey.
I'm assuming it's due to this mike .
But then...
-----------------------------------
Question 2-
Does Olympus' DSS audio format compress
files so much that this diminishes their quality
below professional-sounding calibre?
Is that part of my problem too?
----------------------------------
Question 3:
At home, I do my sound editting on a Mac after
I convert Olympus' DSS files to aiff format using
Macromedia's relic, SoundEdit 16-
Could THIS contribute to the over-all low
quality sound of my recordings?
Do I need a more robust program?
-------------------------------------
Any help and advice would be very appreciated!
(Even if you say what I hope not to hear: that one cannot get
good sound out of the Olympus DM-1, or at least not
marketable sound suitable for CD's that we
wish to sell at the speaker's seminars.)

Thanks for any help!
Cheela

Anon-E-Moose

"che1" wrote in news:1102718224.868768.72120
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Any pro's out there with information to share on any
of these following questions?

Question 1-
What microphone should I get?
My goal is to produce as-professional sounding
recordings as possible of a seminar speaker using
an Olympus DM-1 digital voice recorder.

The fact you're using an Olympus DM-1 digital voice recorder will
probably limit your output quality. I seriously doubt the voice recorder
will be anywhere near "professional quality".

Question 2-
Does Olympus' DSS audio format compress
files so much that this diminishes their quality
below professional-sounding calibre?
Is that part of my problem too?

Probably yes - How about a Minidisc recorder? Minidisc recorders are
tiny and provide high quality recording. You should be able to pick up a
minidisc recorder for ~250.00 or less.

Even a standard tape recorder can probably do a better job than using a
digital voice recorder.

Question 3:
At home, I do my sound editting on a Mac after
I convert Olympus' DSS files to aiff format using
Macromedia's relic, SoundEdit 16-
Could THIS contribute to the over-all low
quality sound of my recordings?

Your poor quality sound is probably due to the recording format (DSS) as
well as using a poor quality microphone.

Do I need a more robust program?
-------------------------------------
Any help and advice would be very appreciated!
(Even if you say what I hope not to hear: that one cannot get
good sound out of the Olympus DM-1, or at least not
marketable sound suitable for CD's that we
wish to sell at the speaker's seminars.)

I seriously doubt DSS is ANYWHERE near CD quality... you'll have much
better luck using a higher quality recording device such as a minidisc.
Or does your voice recorder support a non-compressed format? Wav
perhaps?

che1

Thankyou.
I will look into minidisc's.
The recorder unfortunately supports nothing but Olympus' own
propritary DSS format.

Because i will edit the sound on my Mac, I'm wondering is my best
option
just to ditch the Olympus recorder and record straight onto my laptop?
In that case, would my set-up look anything like this:

laptop, hooked up to an Input/Output analog-to-digital-converter port
and/or an
iMic hooked up to that, with a microphone plugged into that?
What kind of microphone-would a Shure SM-57 be good?
And would SoundEdit 16 be suitable for recording into?

Lucas Tam

"che1" wrote in news:1102724286.416622.136060
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Because i will edit the sound on my Mac, I'm wondering is my best
option
just to ditch the Olympus recorder and record straight onto my laptop?
In that case, would my set-up look anything like this:

laptop, hooked up to an Input/Output analog-to-digital-converter port
and/or an
iMic hooked up to that, with a microphone plugged into that?

Directly recording into your laptop is probably a better idea.

If you find that your onboard sound card is too noisy... and you need a
better soundcard, there are several external soundcards you can buy such
as the SoundBlaster Extigy.

What kind of microphone-would a Shure SM-57 be good?
And would SoundEdit 16 be suitable for recording into?

I'm not familiar with SoundEdit 16, but it should be good enough.

--
Lucas Tam )