cwvalle

Default What Software for Editing Sound on PC

"SPS22" wrote in message
om...
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer
It is 2 track however, not multi track

I too like Sound Forge. Other's prefer Wavelab. He was specifically

talking
about "editing sound", as opposed to multitrack recording and mixing.

Opinions would help: Would folks here rather buy SoundForge or Goldwave?

(the
price of them are fairly similar, 70 & 40 respectively).

-surinder

last i looked sound forge was around 300 and another 200 if you want the
plugins
Carl

cwvalle

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"cwvalle" wrote in message
y.com

"SPS22" wrote in message
m...

After the take over of CoolEdit, what is a well-recommended software
tool for editing sound on a PC? I have been using Audacity, and
Goldwave. Goldwave has many more features than Audacity, although I
find it easier to use than Goldwave. What do people think of these
programs? Any other program that is recommended around here?

Thanks.
-Surinder

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum Analyzer

Here's a news flash Valle - CE/Audition also has wave form synthesis and a
spectrum analyzer. So they aren't valid reasons to prefer SF.

It is 2 track however, not multi track

CE/Audition is both 2 track and multi track.

Hey asshole
I didn't say i prefer it
read my ****ing post
you **** ant
All i said was i like SF
you mother ****ing
**** in the face
**** for brain
**** nosed
idiot

cwvalle

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

We don't all have to fawn over the same application.

Agreed.

However, it's not always all about fawning. It's also about having a
job to do and whether a product has the necessary features.

I sort of stumbled into CE some years ago, and just it kept meeting
my needs. CE was an early implementer of 24 & 32 bits, and still
offers unsurpassed support for far higher sample rates. I believe
that SF 5, which followed CEP by a year or more, was the first SF
to support 24/96.

I have briefly used a lite verison of SF, but really didn't see
enough of a difference to justify switching.

There appears to have been a period of a year or more when CE
supported far more data formats and higher sample rates than SF.
OTOH, SF has long appeared to have an integrated CD burning feature
that Adobe has not yet made available in Audition, after a promising
beta release from Syntrillium in CE2.

Sound Forge is more commonly used (preferred) in professional audio
circles, but don't let that bother you.

Opinion stated as fact.

False. It's an accurate observation.

Like I said though, don't let it bother you.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Sound Forge was recommended to me by several professionals whom i trust that
were volunteering at the same community radio station I was doing my jazz
show at. In fact, it was they who convinced me to record my little show on
the computer rather than open reel. That was a long time ago. I have
upgraded it ever since and own most of the plugins for it also. I like the
noise reduction thingy, I really think it's right up there with cedar and
used it to transcribe many old jazz records the sation gave me (that's how
they paid people for their 'volunteer' work.)
I am sure others have preferances, but I just thought I would mention mine.

Carl

cwvalle

"Powell" wrote in message

"SPS22" wrote

Any other program that is recommended around here?

Check out Sonic Foundry/Sony products:

Sound Forge Studio 6.0 - $70
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=718

CD Architech 5.0 - $240
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=780

Sound Forge 7.0 - $400 "The industry standard is still the industry
standard."
- Recording Magazine
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=668

You used to be able to upgrade from 6 to 7 for less than that but the last
time i bought any of their products, it wasn't yet owned by Sony. They still
have me on the mailing list though, and sometimes these softwares are
discounted, especially if you buy one a version behind.
Also - check ebay - sometimes people buy it and it's too much for what they
want

Carl

Arny Krueger

"cwvalle" wrote in message

Hey asshole
I didn't say i prefer it
read my ****ing post
you **** ant
All i said was i like SF
you mother ****ing
**** in the face
**** for brain
**** nosed
idiot

What a guy!

Arny Krueger

"cwvalle" wrote in message

Hey asshole
I didn't say i prefer it
read my ****ing post
you **** ant
All i said was i like SF
you mother ****ing
**** in the face
**** for brain
**** nosed
idiot

What a guy!

Arny Krueger

"cwvalle" wrote in message

Hey asshole
I didn't say i prefer it
read my ****ing post
you **** ant
All i said was i like SF
you mother ****ing
**** in the face
**** for brain
**** nosed
idiot

What a guy!

Arny Krueger

"cwvalle" wrote in message

Hey asshole
I didn't say i prefer it
read my ****ing post
you **** ant
All i said was i like SF
you mother ****ing
**** in the face
**** for brain
**** nosed
idiot

What a guy!

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"cwvalle" wrote in message
m...

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"cwvalle" wrote in message
y.com

"SPS22" wrote in message
[...]

We don't really know if he is **** nosed.
Otherwise, you are right on.

Geoff Wood

cwvalle wrote:

You used to be able to upgrade from 6 to 7 for less than that but the
last time i bought any of their products, it wasn't yet owned by
Sony. They still have me on the mailing list though, and sometimes
these softwares are discounted, especially if you buy one a version
behind.
Also - check ebay - sometimes people buy it and it's too much for
what they want

If you sign to to their mailing list, you usually get an offer for the next
major version for around US$99 - US$125.

geoff

Geoff Wood

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

Wavelab appears to have be RAM-based while SF & CE/Audition are
disk-based.

No, since "6" SF has been non-destructive (ie RAM-based).

geoff

Geoff Wood

SPS22 wrote:

Well, I am essentially trying to convert cassettes to CD's.

Presumably your own. Otherwise why bother...

So I think
I need the following:

- Record from source
- Small edits like
* removal of some portion of song
* removal of some portion of song but
not disturb the cycle of the rythm

Quality of the above totally up to your skills. any app...

- Good hiss removal (Audacity & Goldwave hiss removal
makes the music worse, not better, for me.)

All hiss removal is detrimental to the music to a degree. Some may be worse
than others.

- Normalize volume of many .wav files to one level

Not a big ask of any software.

geoff

Geoff Wood

SPS22 wrote:
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum
Analyzer It is 2 track however, not multi track

I too like Sound Forge. Other's prefer Wavelab. He was specifically
talking about "editing sound", as opposed to multitrack recording
and mixing.

Opinions would help: Would folks here rather buy SoundForge or
Goldwave? (the
price of them are fairly similar, 70 & 40 respectively).

No comparison. SF. Goldwave is a toy in comparison, but a worthy toy.

geoff

Geoff Wood

SPS22 wrote:
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

You didn't ask, but I like Sound Forge
I especially appreciate the wave form synthesis and Spectrum
Analyzer It is 2 track however, not multi track

I too like Sound Forge. Other's prefer Wavelab. He was specifically
talking about "editing sound", as opposed to multitrack recording
and mixing.

Opinions would help: Would folks here rather buy SoundForge or
Goldwave? (the
price of them are fairly similar, 70 & 40 respectively).

No comparison. SF. Goldwave is a toy in comparison, but a worthy toy.

geoff

Sound analyse software Bjarne J Aronsen Pro Audio 4 March 29th 04 09:41 AM
[OT] Sound measure software with equivalent sound level meter? jd Pro Audio 2 March 21st 04 07:34 PM
Sound vs. Audio Bob Smoot Pro Audio 3 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 General 122 January 27th 04 12:58 AM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM