SplaTTercell

Default Music in movies, commercials, TV shows...how much do bands make?

Hello All,

I'm hoping to get some music of mine into movies/TV whatever. I'm
just curious, how much do bands typically get paid for this sort of
thing? I realize that is completely subjective to how big the band
is, how big the budget of the movie or show is etc...

Just a ball park figure is what I'm looking for. I just want to have
some sort of idea so when and if I get my first offer I'm not either
settling for too little or holding out for way too much.

Say just for example they wanted to use a piece of my music in the
show CSI for a 30 second clip. What would that be worth? Or on a
bigger scale, say a piece of music was used for a big action sequence
in a big budget movie, roughly what would that be worth?

Again I realize this isn't just an X amount for this, X amount for
that, I know it all depends on a lot of variables, just a rough
estimate is what I'm curious about.

Thanks!
Richard Crowley

"SplaTTercell" wrote ...
I'm hoping to get some music of mine into movies/TV
whatever. I'm just curious, how much do bands typically
get paid for this sort of thing?

You might want to ask in a more appropriate newsgroup
like news:rec.arts.movies.production or the sound specific
newsgroup news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound There
are also groups like news:rec.music.movies but dunno what
kind of topics they discuss there?

There is no fixed rate (like there is for mechanical license,
etc.) It literally ranges from zero to hundreds of thousands
depending on many factors.
BJ

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"SplaTTercell" wrote ...
I'm hoping to get some music of mine into movies/TV
whatever. I'm just curious, how much do bands typically
get paid for this sort of thing?

You might want to ask in a more appropriate newsgroup
like news:rec.arts.movies.production or the sound specific
newsgroup news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound There
are also groups like news:rec.music.movies but dunno what
kind of topics they discuss there?

There is no fixed rate (like there is for mechanical license,
etc.) It literally ranges from zero to hundreds of thousands
depending on many factors.

Exactly what Richard said. I've been offered $200 to license four songs for
a well-known car manufacturer's advertisement product and $7,000 for a 30
second jingle for local radio. My best advice is to try to define what kind
of work you want or expect to be doing, then get in touch with freelancers
or companies who do this sort of thing to ask them roughly what they charge.
If you're afraid to be nailed down as a competitor fishing for info you
could always pretend to be a potential customer. Keep in mind that sound
bureaus like 615, Jam, GA and so forth can charge an awful LOT more than an
individual freelancer. Quality doesn't necessarily have anything to do with
it. Actually, believe it or not, the quality of work doesn't necessarily
have any significant relevance as to whether or not you will succeed in this
business. As Trump would put it, you need to learn the art of the deal.
Networking is everything. A good first step is to learn who to talk to. In
many cases, talking to the wrong people will slaughter your chances of
getting anywhere before your stuff even gets heard.