Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

Default Proximity effect: Is the inverse true?

I understand that the more directional a mic is, the
more the bass will be exagerated as you get
quite close to the sound source.

But is the inverse true? Say I'm 30 feet from a loud sound
source. I point a mic directly at the source from
30 feet away. Is it correct to say that an omni will
get me the most bass pickup, a cardioid a bit
less bass, a hyper yielding even less bass than
the cardioid, and a figure-8 getting the least
bass of them all?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

**Groper alert.

Say I'm 30 feet from a loud sound
source. I point a mic directly at the source from
30 feet away. Is it correct to say that an omni will
get me the most bass pickup, a cardioid a bit
less bass, a hyper yielding even less bass than
the cardioid, and a figure-8 getting the least
bass of them all?

** At 30 feet there is no " proximity effect " - at all.

The mic's response will simply follow the published curve.

If you want more bass - just turn of that knob on the desk.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pandorapayne@charter.net is offline

So why then do they say that an omni will be better at
retaining the bass when distance mic'ing, for example,
an orchestra?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

wrote:
So why then do they say that an omni will be better at
retaining the bass when distance mic'ing, for example,
an orchestra?

They do?

An omni generally has flatter frequency response than a cardioid mic so
it more realistically captures the environment. Bass goes everywhere.
If you suppress it from one direction (like behind a cardioid mic) it
might sound like you haven't "preserved" it all.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham Adrian Tuddenham is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

...bear in mind that the frequency response off axis
is generally nicer with an omni.

Which direction is off-axis with an omni?

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Adrian Tuddenham"

Which direction is off-axis with an omni?

** Any direction that in NOT on the central axis - ****WIT .

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I understand that the more directional a mic is, the
more the bass will be exagerated as you get
quite close to the sound source.

Right. Therefore many cardioids have a built-in bass cut, to compensate
for this.

But is the inverse true? Say I'm 30 feet from a loud sound
source. I point a mic directly at the source from
30 feet away. Is it correct to say that an omni will
get me the most bass pickup, a cardioid a bit
less bass, a hyper yielding even less bass than
the cardioid, and a figure-8 getting the least
bass of them all?

For the most part, this is true, but for different reasons than the
proximity issues. It's much easier to build an omni capsule with
good low end than a cardioid.

The data sheet on a good microphone should have a chart on it which
lists the free-field response of the microphone (that is, the response
to a distant sound source). Some manufacturers will also include
response to a nearby source so you can see how the proximity effect
works with that mike. For the most part, data sheet plots are very
smoothed so you can't see details, and SOME manufacturers will fudge
the low end measurements completely because they don't have a chamber
capable of making the proper measurements. But guys like DPA and
Neumann can be more or less trusted for this sort of thing if you
understand the charts are usually third-octave measurements.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
So why then do they say that an omni will be better at
retaining the bass when distance mic'ing, for example,
an orchestra?

It may not be. But it's easier to build an omni with a good low end
than a cardioid with a good low end. You can get a B&K 4145 that is
+/-1dB down to 2 Hz... you can't build a cardioid like that.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:

...bear in mind that the frequency response off axis
is generally nicer with an omni.

Which direction is off-axis with an omni?

That depends how omni the omni is. Lots of omnis aren't very omni.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jens Rodrigo Jens Rodrigo is offline

Don Pearce wrote
Pressure is inverse square all the way to the source.

At the doupled distance from the sound source the
sound pressure is halved in the direct field.
I call that pressure law 1/r.
I think there is nothing inverse squared.
Look he p ~ 1/r
http://www.mathdaily.com/lessons/Inverse-square_law

Cheers Jens

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:33:44 +0200, "Jens Rodrigo"
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote
Pressure is inverse square all the way to the source.

At the doupled distance from the sound source the
sound pressure is halved in the direct field.
I call that pressure law 1/r.
I think there is nothing inverse squared.
Look he p ~ 1/r
http://www.mathdaily.com/lessons/Inverse-square_law

Cheers Jens

Quite right - it is the sound power that obeys the inverse square -
the pressure is 1/r.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

Jens Rodrigo wrote:
Don Pearce wrote

Pressure is inverse square all the way to the source.

Look he p ~ 1/r
http://www.mathdaily.com/lessons/Inverse-square_law

Interesting. If you read on beyond that reference, it says that sound
*intensity* ~ 1 / (r squared)

Of course that's power, which is different from pressure in the same way
that electrical power has a square law relationship with voltage.

If only they expressed it in decibels, there wouldn't be any ambiguity...

Anahata
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Anahata wrote:
Jens Rodrigo wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
Pressure is inverse square all the way to the source.

Look he p ~ 1/r
http://www.mathdaily.com/lessons/Inverse-square_law

Interesting. If you read on beyond that reference, it says
that sound *intensity* ~ 1 / (r squared)
Of course that's power, which is different from pressure
in the same way that electrical power has a square law
relationship with voltage.

But my ears and the microphone of my sound level meter
are sensitive to the sound pressure and not sensitive to
sound intensity. They feel the inverse 1/r law and no square.

Cheers Jens

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain Bob Cain is offline

wrote:
I understand that the more directional a mic is, the
more the bass will be exagerated as you get
quite close to the sound source.

But is the inverse true? Say I'm 30 feet from a loud sound
source. I point a mic directly at the source from
30 feet away. Is it correct to say that an omni will
get me the most bass pickup, a cardioid a bit
less bass, a hyper yielding even less bass than
the cardioid, and a figure-8 getting the least
bass of them all?

Yes, but this is not about proximity effect. Any gradient mic will
have a LF rolloff. For equal intensity soundfields, the difference in
sound pressure between two points (the approximate pressure gradient)
gets less and less as you go down in frequency. It is avoidable above
a given knee by tuning of other mic parameters but it will eventually
set in as you go down. An omni is a pressure sensor rather than a
pressure gradient sensor so does not suffer from this LF rolloff.

The various patterns are made by the mix of an omni component and a
gradient component within the capsule. The fig 8 has no omni
component and is pure gradient. The hypercardiod has less omni in the
mix than a cardiod and the cardiod has an equal mix of the two. It is
this relative mixing that accounts for the ordering you describe.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:15:12 +0100, lid
(Adrian Tuddenham) wrote:

...bear in mind that the frequency response off axis
is generally nicer with an omni.

Which direction is off-axis with an omni?

Precisely ! :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

(Adrian Tuddenham) wrote:

...bear in mind that the frequency response off axis
is generally nicer with an omni.

Which direction is off-axis with an omni?

Precisely ! :-)

Yes, and that depends on what portion of the spectrum is being
considered.

--
ha