Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jrv331@gmail.com is offline

Default Circuit Protection

I purchased a monster cable SS-6 speaker selector and according to the
manual it has " High Current Amplifier Protection circuitry: When
engaged, this impedance matched circuitry maximizes high power
amplifier performance and allows you to safely use multiple speaker
pairs simultaneously without overloading or damaging your amplifier."

My question is why would you ever turn this off? Is there any harm
leaving it always enabled?
Thanks
john

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

I purchased a monster cable SS-6 speaker selector and according to the
manual it has " High Current Amplifier Protection circuitry: When
engaged, this impedance matched circuitry maximizes high power
amplifier performance and allows you to safely use multiple speaker
pairs simultaneously without overloading or damaging your amplifier."

My question is why would you ever turn this off? Is there any harm
leaving it always enabled?

Well, from the sound of it, it's the usual marketing ******** to be
expected from monster.
http://www.monstercable.com/lit/Spea...d_6_Manual.pdf

For starters, you actually don't want your speakers to be 'impedance
matched' ! How would you switch it off anyway ?

Graham

Looks like the "High Current Amplifier Protection Circuitry" consists of a
couple of resistors. I'm surprised Monster didn't think up a clever acronym
and trademark it. Current Rich Amplifier Protection?

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
"Eeyore" wrote in message

[...]

I wonder if they include any TCPSPD's in their products?

(Timer Controlled Power Supply Protection Devices. A slow blow fuse).

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

Anything from monster is going to be mostly marketing and way short on
actual proven technology. It's probably a resistor network of some sort and
you'd want to turn it off if you were running any serious power through it.
More than likely the resistors are rated all that high for wattage
disipation.

wrote in message
I purchased a monster cable SS-6 speaker selector and according to the
manual it has " High Current Amplifier Protection circuitry: When
engaged, this impedance matched circuitry maximizes high power
amplifier performance and allows you to safely use multiple speaker
pairs simultaneously without overloading or damaging your amplifier."

My question is why would you ever turn this off? Is there any harm
leaving it always enabled?
Thanks
john

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jrv331@gmail.com is offline

There is a button to turn it on/off. So are you guys saying thats its
basically a useless feature Monster adds to make it look better? Then
is it better to leave it always enables or always disabled when using
multiple speakers?
Thanks for the help
John

On May 1, 2:15 am, Eeyore
I purchased a monster cable SS-6 speaker selector and according to the
manual it has " High Current Amplifier Protection circuitry: When
engaged, this impedance matched circuitry maximizes high power
amplifier performance and allows you to safely use multiple speaker
pairs simultaneously without overloading or damaging your amplifier."

My question is why would you ever turn this off? Is there any harm
leaving it always enabled?

Well, from the sound of it, it's the usual marketing ******** to be
expected from monster.http://www.monstercable.com/lit/Spea...d_6_Manual.pdf

For starters, you actually don't want your speakers to be 'impedance
matched' ! How would you switch it off anyway ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On May 1, 11:40*am, wrote:
[...]

Graham- Hide quoted text -

In most cases you would want to leave it off. If you are using
multiple 8 ohm speakers then when two are connected they are probably
parallel. That would be 4 ohms. Practically any decent amp is going
to handle a 4 ohm load. Yes, you could drive it into clipping easier
with a 4 ohm load than an 8 ohm load. What's the amp and are you
expecting periods where you push some of the limitations? Above 2
speakers then the unit is probably combining them both parallel and
serial to achieve some load between 4 and 8. Often damage comes from
driving amps into clipping where you end up with larger periods of
straight dc voltage in the output. Bad for stuff. Solid state amps
are directly connected to the load so it is easier to overload an amp
with 4 ohms than it is 8. If your amp has some sort of protection
circuitry then that would be all the more reason not to use the
switch. The switch is probably adding resistance. That's pretty much
a waste as any energy used up by the resistors is not being turned
into sound.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

wrote in message
[...]

If it's not too late, you should return it. Monster products are overpriced, and make
pretty ridiculous claims.
--
Earl

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jrv331@gmail.com is offline

Its not to late to return it, but I did not buy it for the circuit
protection. The salesman at the electronics store said it was one of
the few that use parallel vs serial wiring. In fact he had a Niles
selector which was more expensive and he steered me towards the
Monster.
Thanks
John

On May 1, 2:34 pm, "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

wrote in message
Its not to late to return it, but I did not buy it for the circuit
protection. The salesman at the electronics store said it was one of
the few that use parallel vs serial wiring. In fact he had a Niles
selector which was more expensive and he steered me towards the
Monster.
Thanks
John

Not meaning to beat a dead horse but...

Presenting the same impedance to the amplifier as a single (pair of)
speaker(s) is desirable. If it is not achievable (you'd need an autoformer
or more complex circuit than a resistor network) then series would be
preferable to parallel. Two parallel loads have less impedance than either
one alone. Amps can drive higher (series) impedance loads without problem,
you'll just get reduced power output. Driving a LOWER impedance can place
too much load on the output devices causing them to fail. The lower
impedance just pulls too much current. Most solid state amps can easily
handle 4-ohm loads, and many of the better ones can do 2 ohms. Cheaper amps
most definitely can't. The low-end electronics market dictates that power
ratings are exaggerated, and many circuits are designed with very little
safety margin. Whereas you might get away with driving 8 ohms at full
power, if you try 4 ohms you might get to see a bit of the magic smoke
escape.

If your receiver has terminals for two sets of speakers, then it SHOULD be
designed to drive 4 ohms or even a bit lower without trouble.

The Niles is more expensive in this case because it a better unit.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

If it does what you need and it was the best price then it is fine. They
are all similar inside and use switches to combine the speakers in various
parallel and serial arrangements to achieve something between 4 and 8 ohms.
They do expect that you are using 8 ohm speakers so if you use 4 ohm ones
then you may sometimes end up with a 2 ohm load and than's a bit low. My
amp protection circuits kick in sometimes when I run 2 ohms.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:02:26 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I purchased a monster cable SS-6 speaker selector and according to the
manual it has " High Current Amplifier Protection circuitry: When
engaged, this impedance matched circuitry maximizes high power
amplifier performance and allows you to safely use multiple speaker
pairs simultaneously without overloading or damaging your amplifier."

My question is why would you ever turn this off? Is there any harm
leaving it always enabled?

Several opinions have been offered here already, but my recommendation
is to check before committing. The better speaker switching widgits
use a series resistor of about two or two and a half Ohms in series
with each amplifier hot lead, and all speaker pairs switched in
parallel.

"Protection Engaged" in this case means shorting across (or not)
the resistors.

None of the "better" (there really isn't any such critter as an
"ideal" here) four or six pair switchers do any series connections.
For larger installations an autoformer pair like the Niles SMS-10
is commonly used, along with local autoformer level controls.

And to answer your "why" question, the series resistor causes a
small drop in level, some change in frequency response, and a
(very) small interaction in (local/downstream) volume control levels.
This is all balanced against the danger to the amplifier...

All the best fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's for compatibility with 8-Track."
-scott
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 02 May 2008 01:20:52 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

This is all balanced against the danger to the amplifier...

I didn't properly emphasize here that the very most important
part of a multi-zone installation is to set the gains properly
and then to armor the settings against user attack.

If you can guarantee that nobody else will ever, ever, cross
your heart and hope to die never, have access to the gain
adjustments, then you have nothing to worry about.

Otherwise...

All good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"It's for compatibility with 8-Track."
-scott

Tweeter protection. WindsorFox Car Audio 11 April 24th 07 05:04 AM
Amp Protection Problem. Trey Car Audio 2 March 7th 07 04:12 PM
protection Joseph Stavitsky Pro Audio 2 June 3rd 06 02:29 PM
protection Joseph Stavitsky Pro Audio 0 June 3rd 06 12:04 AM
Hearing Protection G. Verheij Audio Opinions 24 January 12th 04 12:40 AM