Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Intermittent EV P3000's

Hi,

A friend of mine has a few EV P3000 amps. Occasionally, they will not come
out of protect at switch on, but if you keep trying they will, and will run
just fine after that. He brought me one a while ago to look at, but of
course it behaved itself perfectly for me, couldn't get it to go into
protect at all.. I did the usual cleaning everything and resetting the
bias. He has 3 or four of these amps now doing the same thing randomly, not
all the time. Anyone any experience with this fault and what causes it?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Hi,

A friend of mine has a few EV P3000 amps. Occasionally, they will not come
out of protect at switch on, but if you keep trying they will, and will run
just fine after that. He brought me one a while ago to look at, but of
course it behaved itself perfectly for me, couldn't get it to go into
protect at all.. I did the usual cleaning everything and resetting the
bias. He has 3 or four of these amps now doing the same thing randomly, not
all the time. Anyone any experience with this fault and what causes it?

Have you spoken to the tech guys at Shuttlesound ? They're pretty helpful.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Hi,

A friend of mine has a few EV P3000 amps. Occasionally, they will not
come
out of protect at switch on, but if you keep trying they will, and will
run
just fine after that. He brought me one a while ago to look at, but of
course it behaved itself perfectly for me, couldn't get it to go into
protect at all.. I did the usual cleaning everything and resetting the
bias. He has 3 or four of these amps now doing the same thing randomly,
not
all the time. Anyone any experience with this fault and what causes it?

Have you spoken to the tech guys at Shuttlesound ? They're pretty helpful.

Graham

Yes I will do, they have been very helpful in the past. Its often good to
get input from the other side of the pond as well, and Usenet almost always
gets you more information than you were looking for or thought you needed.

This guy has actually brought one of the amps in now, its permanently in
protect, probably an output stage. Delving further it seems that he has a
variety of protect problems, not just the startup one I originally cited,
some will protect once a signal is outputted. He's been swapping his amps
around with his touring rig and an install, sometimes the amps go into
protect during a gig then mysteriously get working again.

Could be speaker cables / crossovers etc, but I wanted to find out if these
amps have any history of going into protect for no apparent reason.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Gareth Magennis wrote:

[...]

We have a P3000 at the local vanue I do tech support for. No problems with that
one.

Graham