Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Magnovox CD Model# FD2040SL12

Anybody remember this relic, ca. 1985? I found it on the curb the other
day and picked it up before it rained. 'Picked it up' was a lot more
difficult than I expected. This thing weighs more than some receivers....

Saying it's built like a tank is an understatement. The main chassis
is *cast* aluminum! The analog ps is pretty massive, with five to220
devices mounted to a 2 1/4" x 8" finned heatsink. Initial tests show
that it works fine (even plays burned CDs). Button legends show some
wear, and flourescent display is showing its age.

I have a DVD player in my home system and don't really need it. Has
anyone here had experience with this, and do you think it's worth
eBaying? I'd try Craigslist to avoid shipping, but wonder if the
benefit of a wider audience would outweigh (no pun intended) the expense
of shipping.

Any ideas? It was made in Belgium...Phillips?

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

It is indeed a Philips player (only one "L").

I still have my Magnavox CDB 650, which was their top of the line
player at the time.

I still have an old issue of Audio magazine that proclaimed the CDB
650 to be the best CD player they had ever tested, at any price range.

Mine still works great and sounds great. I also have a CDB 560, which
is also an excellent player. I picked it up a couple of months ago
for 10 bucks.

The Philips players made in Belgium are among some of the best
bargains in home audio. Many of the high-end European players of the
day used the same chipset as these old Magnavox players.

My honest opinion is that the Magnavox CD player you found can
probably stomp your DVD player into the ground, soundwise. Keep it.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chronic Philharmonic Chronic Philharmonic is offline

"EADGBE" wrote in message

It is indeed a Philips player (only one "L").

I still have my Magnavox CDB 650, which was their top of the line
player at the time.

I still have an old issue of Audio magazine that proclaimed the CDB
650 to be the best CD player they had ever tested, at any price range.

Mine still works great and sounds great. I also have a CDB 560, which
is also an excellent player. I picked it up a couple of months ago
for 10 bucks.

The Philips players made in Belgium are among some of the best
bargains in home audio. Many of the high-end European players of the
day used the same chipset as these old Magnavox players.

My honest opinion is that the Magnavox CD player you found can
probably stomp your DVD player into the ground, soundwise. Keep it.

I a Magnavox in my garage that I haven't used in about 10 years. It was
working when I put it up. I suppose it still does. The build quality was
quite good. Inside, the laser positioning uses a voice coil type actuator,
like a hard disk. It was one of the original 4X oversampling players (when
they could only reliably build 14 bit D/A converters; they used the
oversampling to get the two additional bits -- and they were real bits as
opposed to the "marketing bits" generated by most 16 bit parallel converters
of that vintage).

I think the thing weighs about 10 lbs. I finally replaced it with a 1-bit
64X Sony deck. I think the Sony does sound better than the 1984 technology
device, although the inside of the Sony is nearly empty, and the disk drive
looks like the same lead-screw design that they use in computer drives.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

I think it is a Phillips cd-204, which has a very good reputation.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 23, 2:49*am, "Chronic Philharmonic"
wrote:
"EADGBE" wrote in message

[...]

looks like the same lead-screw design that they use in computer drives.- Hide quoted text -

Cause it is the same drive they use in computers. Doesn't matter why
you are getting data off a disk, only how fast you can do it
accurately. And the newer drives can do it many times faster and more
accurately than a 20+ year old drive.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
WindsorFox[_3_] WindsorFox[_3_] is offline

jakdedert wrote:
[...]

It's the U.S. version of the Phillips CD-204 Whether any one would
buy it is the question. A collector might use it, I would out of posterity.

--

"I have no need to purchase any bulk e-mail software
and use it to **** off the Internet community and lose

Posted to rec.audio.tech

James wrote:
There's a reason you found it on the curb.

Because a n00b didn't want it and had no clue how to eBay it.

--

"I have no need to purchase any bulk e-mail software
and use it to **** off the Internet community and lose
my Internet account. If I want to **** off somebody,
I'll do it on a one-to-one basis." - Norman L. De Forest

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Apr 23, 12:34*pm, "WindsorFoxSS" wrote:
James wrote:
There's a reason you found it on the curb.

* * Because a n00b didn't want it and had no clue how to eBay it.

--

"I have no need to purchase any bulk e-mail software
and use it to **** off the Internet community and lose
my Internet account. If I want to **** off somebody,
I'll do it on a one-to-one basis." - Norman *L. *De Forest

No, cause it ain't worth the shipping to ebay it. I threw away
several cd players and I ebay lots of stuff.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On 23 Apr 2008 14:28:00 GMT,
wrote:

I think it is a Phillips cd-204, which has a very good reputation.

I think you should couch this in the past tense.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech

WindsorFoxSS wrote:
jakdedert wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it's a bit of history to be sure...the only reason I haven't
canned it. Me being in Nashville 'might' mean someone here would
appreciate the heritage. It's probably too heavy to ship for the money
it might bring, so ebay's not a good (but maybe still the best) option.

The other drawback; while it's in good working condition, the cosmetics
are not really pristine.

jak