Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

Default Vinyl to CD on a PC

In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech
wrote:

Mr.T wrote:
"Keith G" wrote in message
Whatever - if you did start such a thread in a car group you'd also get
shot down unless you heavily qualified your opinion. Which is what
happens
here to all those who constantly harp on about how marvellous vinyl is
while knocking digital.

You have it back to front. I can't remember the last time anyone STARTED a
thread bashing vinyl, rather than simply responding to the ill informed.

Who was it that said I don't get irony? Don Plowman? Dick Pearce? You
can't remember this thread while you were posting to it?

Scott, Dick Pierce and Don Pearce are two different people.

Funny thing about the meter reders, they actualy do all sound th same.

Yet I can easily tell the difference between them...I guess my ears are better than
yours.

Both are capable of laying your arguments to waste,

So they choose to make asses of themselves instead? Odd choice.

Neither have done that...you, on the other hand, are making *quite* the
spectacle of yourself.

so perhaps
that's what's confused you.

I wasn't confused. Thank you for finally taking the bait. I had all but
given up on my punchline about all meter readers sounding the same.

Ah, you weren't confused...you *meant it all along*. You were just trolling,
then.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech Rob wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Mr.T
MrT@home wrote:
snip

If the vinyl lovers wish to enjoy their personal choice without
disparaging remarks, all they need do is stop claiming to the world that
it is better than CD. Seems simple enough to me.

Indeed.

I haven't noticed many remarks that state in absolute terms that 'vinyl
is better than CD'. I read most of the remarks as 'I prefer the sound
produced from vinyl'. So perhaps it isn't quite as simple as you pair
believe ... :-)

It rarely stops there...

But it has on this thread. Disappointed I bet. So gosh, if you can't
get someone to say what you want so you can attack it best thing to do
is just say it yourself and then attack it.

it's usually followed by some rather technically
dubious claims about analog and digital....often phrased as a report of
hearing things that digital 'can't do'. Originally it was digital, period,
but in the past half decade or so the scripture has been amended to allow
that 'hi rez' digital might, on a good day, sound as good as vinyl, but
16/44.1, heavens no, it can't sound as good as 'the best' vinyl played on
'SOTA' gear to 'golden ears', even if it's a CD transfer of an LP. Which
brings us back to this thread.

aw, c'mon you could do better than that can't you?

For myself, I'm more interested in audio than vinyl. I think it's nice
if people can make up their own mind about vinyl by listening, using and
taking on board the technical arguments. The UK audio group tends to
provide a good blend of things I'm interested in.

I think it's nice if people understand the well-documented limitations of
'listening' as it is generally done..

"The limitations of listening." Good one. Thanks for a nother laugh.

A psychoacoustics or sensory psychology textbook shoudl have you in *stitches*,
then.

Yeah if the meter readers can't corilate the numbers to the aesthetic
experience there must be something wrong with the aesthetic expeience.

Hmm...did anyone *here* say that? Don't think so.

That's about as backassward as it gets. in the world of meter readers
the perception must bend to meet the expectations given to them by the
measurements.

Well, correlation of objective reality to subjective reality has its merits.
It allowed the creation of things like audio gear and recordings.

yet many vinylphiles seem less
interested in that than in promoting what they believe (often without basis)
are audible limitations of digital.

Maybe they are just looking for an explination for what they hear?

Oh, you mean, an objective correlate of their subjective experience? I thought that
was a nonstarter for you?

if that is so terrible but attacking the perceptions as wrong because
they don't fit the meter reader's formulas is completely reasonable.

What's usually wrong is not the effort, but the execution. Vinylphile 'explanations' of
digital tend to be laughable nonsense.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Keith G" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
ups.com

Scott makes up a straw man argument:

One would think from your post that one's ability to
solder has something to do with one's ability to make
aesthetic judgements. Do I hve to tell you just how
stupid that idea is?

No Scott, you told us how stupid that idea is when you
made it up.
Engineers do the work the hobbyists
consume it.

Scott might have us believe that all engineers:

(1) never make aesthetic judgements.

(2) have no interest in aesthetics

One does not need to know anything about
engineering to evaluate the results.

Simply not true. It takes technical knowlege to properly
evaluate a technological product.

Utter ********, consumers are the best evaluators of
*any* product -

Speaks to your ignorance of modern product evaluation, Keith.

Product evaluation takes place on many levels and involves many different
people with various skills.

Consumers are the *final* evaluators of any product.

However, products get evaluated many times during their development.

Particularly in the earlier stages, skilled evaluators are invaluable.

Don't be pedantic - you know what I meant. The final product is all we're
interested in here - if a crappy product got through all the process and
development evaluation you have listed above and *then* gets ****ed off by
the (consumer) public, it's so much the *worse*...

every crock produced since the Beginning
Of Time has been graded/passed as 'OK' by someone, for
some reason or other...

In many cases, the people who graded the subsequently failing product as
being OK were themselves consumers.

Sure, your own Abe Lincoln had that more or less pretty well covered.....

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Keith G wrote:
We have *hundreds* of bloody CDs here and maybe more than a dozen
different gadgets that can play them. Once in a while I'll put one of a
very small, select few on (no LP equivalents) and, sure as eggs, I'll
wander off after a while and quite simply *not hear* the rest of it. I
can't recall the last time I was ever able to sit through an entire CD
- it must be *years* ago now!!

LPs? One after the other, usually - sometimes 'til the wee small hours,
unable to stop slapping them on to the turntable!!

Get the idea? No-one to impress, no-one taking note.....

Thought you only listened to music, not equipment.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech Keith G wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
ups.com

Well, we disagree about the transarency of 16/44.1

That's due to your religious belief that there's something that still
needs to be fixed with the CD format to make it as accurate as LPs.

Accurate? Do you mean as in *lifelike*....???

Try all it likes, CD will never beat a good LP for a sense of *realism*.....

Achieved via introduction of distortions that some find pleasing.

I think thre is something to this claim. I remember a mastering
engineer, I think it was Stan Ricker, saying that he often found the
LPs he mastered often sounded more lifelike than the original master
tapes even when he did a flat transfer with no processing. It stands to
reason that it would be the introduction of colorations that lead to
that effect. Now while the idea of distortion may bother the meter
readers because it makes for uglier numbers, for those who ar
interested in sound quality this shouldn't create a philisophical
dilema. Sounds better is better. It's a simple and pure philosophy.

Now, there's that nasty objective correlate to subjective impression
thing again -- finding *reasons* for what is heard. Those colorations, btw
are not a mystery....I'm sure you've seen them listed on rahe at least once
or twice.

But let's never speak of it again. It ruins the listening experience.
It's like a sausage. Best not to know what goes into it.

Others might prefer to add such distortions or not, as an
*option*, not an inherent quality of the system.

I think that is great idea. Do you know of a program that does this
digitally?

No, but transferring an LP to digital is easy enough. Remember, one impetus
of digital was to get *around* the inherent artifacts of analog.

I would suggest you lobby one of the 'high end' boutique businesses to
design a box that recreates LP distortion.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech Keith G wrote:

You seem angry. Also, you're missing the point of this thread..which is that
a CD transfer of an LP could well capture all that 'realism' you like.
If you claim it *can't ever* do that, then it's time to explain why that
could be so.

No, no one is required to have an explination for their perceptions.
You see that is part of the bull**** game. You demand an explination
for peoples' perceptions and when they offer a wild guess that has
obvious technical flaws you attack the whole claim via the explination.
It's ****ing shell game with you dorks. You don't like the aesthetic
perceptions when they don't line up with the technogeek meter readers
true love, the numbers.

Heavens, you do seem upset.

If you don't like having your statements subjected to scrutiny, best not to post
to a public forum.

I wonder how the *science* part of audio and electronics (it's all that nasty stuff in the
background that you really don't want to know about) would have progressed if
we never questioned what lies behind 'aesthetic perceptions'.

And you are in the best position to comment. But might your technical
certainties twist your listening experience? Because you know that CD must
be better, do your prophecies self-fulfill?

I used to think the CD bigots bashed vinyl out of jealousy, having got rid
of their vinyl (like so many did), but so many of them claim to still own
many LPs - presumably for the opposite purpose of digging out the occasional
LP just to prove they still don't like 'em...???

Cover art, mainly. And a few that have never come out on CD, I've transferred
from LP. But all of them reside in the attic.

There you go. And you have no excuse Sully. You know that mastering is
an overriding factor.

Yes, I do. And that relates to all of this, how, exactly? What am I supposed to have
an 'excuse' for?

I'm sure lots of vinylphiles own a CD or two, too.

Or several hundred.

Shameful.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In rec.audio.tech "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
I think thre is something to this claim. I remember a mastering
engineer, I think it was Stan Ricker, saying that he often found the
LPs he mastered often sounded more lifelike than the original master
tapes even when he did a flat transfer with no processing.

Says it all about some mastering people. "My job is to improve the master"

Well, sometimes the master comes with instructions for 'improving' it -- or
at least making it sound presentable on vinyl. (That's what mastering
was originally for -- to smooth the passage from tape to vinyl)

One could argue that CD listeners of a certain age expect to hear
the music sound like it did on their moldy old LPs...'only better'.
That could involve jiggering the master to get it to sound like it
had passed through a cutting lathe etc. I've read several old-time CD
mastering engineers who in the 80's were trying to 'match' the sound of
the LP. Pristine LPs are still used today as 'references' for digital
remastering projects (e.g., the Rolling Stones' SACD reissues)

And sometimes masters were recorded in , er, interesting circumstances
(like, maybe the monitor speakers weren't so hot at bass, so the engineer
jacked that up on the master...).

And lastly, badly stored old tapes may need some TLC to bring them back to
what they were.

THose are 'improvements' that even a purist could love...as opposed to
the arbitrary 'improvements' that much mastering involves.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

In rec.audio.tech wrote:
"The limitations of listening." Good one. Thanks for a
nother laugh.

A psychoacoustics or sensory psychology textbook shoudl
have you in *stitches*, then.

Trouble is, Scotts alama mater, a school of cosmetology I presume, didn't
have much of an engineering department. Ironically given all the things they
are doing with cosmetics, a school of cosmetology of the future might have
an engineering department. However, I don't think Scott is much for that
lifelong learning thing.

Yeah if the meter readers can't corilate the numbers to
the aesthetic experience there must be something wrong
with the aesthetic experience.

That's stupid enough for Scott to have made it up on his own.

Hmm...did anyone *here* say that? Don't think so.

AFAIK, Scott is the only one who said it.

That's about as backassward as it gets. in the world of
meter readers the perception must bend to meet the
expectations given to them by the measurements.

That's stupid enough for Scott to have made it up on his own.

Hmm...did anyone *here* say that? Don't think so.

AFAIK, Scott is the only one who said it.

Well, correlation of objective reality to subjective
reality has its merits.

Does Scott even believe in objective reality?

It allowed the creation of things like audio gear and
recordings.

Scott seems like he's a poster boy for igorance of the well-known
correlations between sound quality and specs.

yet many vinylphiles seem less
interested in that than in promoting what they believe
(often without basis) are audible limitations of
digital.

Think of turntables as altars on which rational thought is sacrificed.

Maybe they are just looking for an explination for what
they hear?

Oh, you mean, an objective correlate of their subjective
experience? I thought that was a nonstarter for you?

if that is so terrible but attacking the perceptions as
wrong because they don't fit the meter reader's formulas
is completely reasonable.

What's usually wrong is not the effort, but the
execution. Vinylphile 'explanations' of digital tend to
be laughable nonsense.

The audio salesmen(amn) who brainwashed Scott into believing that tubes and
vinyl are superior must have been a heck of a guy. He no doubt spent his
rookie years selling air conditioners to the Aleut and Inuit.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I've learned that it is unwise to give you more credit for deep
thought than you deserve.

The final product is all we're interested in here - if a crappy
product got through all the process and development
evaluation you have listed above and *then* gets ****ed
off by the (consumer) public, it's so much the *worse*...

By all reasonable standards of product evaluation by end-users, the CD was a
rousing sucess and the LP has been forgotten.

every crock produced since the Beginning
Of Time has been graded/passed as 'OK' by someone, for
some reason or other...

In many cases, the people who graded the subsequently
failing product as being OK were themselves consumers.

Sure, your own Abe Lincoln had that more or less pretty
well covered.....

??????????

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

Just thought I'd remind Scott that the name of this forum *I'm*
posting from is 'rec.audio.tech'.

Perhaps if one wants to guard against dreaded questioning of the
logic behind a subjective impression, one should refrain from
posting to a '.tech' forum.

In other words , if you just want to hear anecdotes about what
sounds good, or bad, accompanied by the occasional wild guess with
obvious technical flaws (that goes unchallenged), stick to
nontechnical forums.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

I would suggest you lobby one of the 'high end' boutique
businesses to design a box that recreates LP distortion.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

Note that it will work with Scott's fetish about 24/96.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article . com,
wrote:
But are so keen to name drop all the engineers you 'know'. You sound
like you don't know one end of a soldering iron from the other and
think that all the equipment you use was hatched from an egg rather
than designed by an engineer...

One would think from your post that one's ability to solder has
something to do with one's ability to make aesthetic judgements. Do I
hve to tell you just how stupid that idea is? Engineers do the work the
hobbyists consume it.

So they're mutually exclusive? Isn't that a tad pompous?

One does not need to know anything about engineering to evaluate the
results.

And in your case to totally misunderstand them?

Seems I've heard this before many many times. Usually from a bean counter.
Who doesn't understand how to evaluate technical matters either.

But you find it important to know the name of who engineered a recording,
but not to know how it's made, etc? Weird or what.

It seems that in the case of the meter readers a little bit of knowledge
is a destructive force. Sad. To see you posture one would think you have
this wacky idea that you were actually a somebody in the world of audio.

I'm somebody in my world of audio. That's all that matters to me. You
seems terribly star struck. Are you some kind of groupie?

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article .com,
wrote:
IME the percieved dynamic range of Redbook and Vinyl at their best
are neck and neck.

Perceived? You can't hear the difference of more than 20 dB? Explains a
lot.

What the **** would you know about it? you've never made a reasonable
comparison. You cant get past the numbers.

Perhaps that's because I have an idea what they mean - in practice.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:
Here's some helpful advice Scott - find a good newsgroup about some area
where you have some expertise in, like makeup.

He is an expert on makeup?

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Keith G Keith G is offline

wrote in message
[...]

You're the one unable to join up the dots, Arneee...

The final product is all we're interested in here - if a crappy
product got through all the process and development
evaluation you have listed above and *then* gets ****ed
off by the (consumer) public, it's so much the *worse*...

By all reasonable standards of product evaluation by end-users, the CD was
a rousing sucess and the LP has been forgotten.

WTF was that all about...??

every crock produced since the Beginning
Of Time has been graded/passed as 'OK' by someone, for
some reason or other...

In many cases, the people who graded the subsequently
failing product as being OK were themselves consumers.

Sure, your own Abe Lincoln had that more or less pretty
well covered.....

??????????

Sorry, I've learned that it is unwise to give you more credit for deep
thought than you deserve...

Try: 'You can fool all of the people some of the time.....'

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
message
In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:

Here's some helpful advice Scott - find a good newsgroup
about some area where you have some expertise in, like
makeup.

He is an expert on makeup?

That what we're told about him. He's a makeup artist of some renown in LA.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech
wrote:

Mr.T wrote:
"Keith G" wrote in message
Whatever - if you did start such a thread in a car group you'd also get
shot down unless you heavily qualified your opinion. Which is what
happens
here to all those who constantly harp on about how marvellous vinyl is
while knocking digital.

You have it back to front. I can't remember the last time anyone STARTED a
thread bashing vinyl, rather than simply responding to the ill informed.

Who was it that said I don't get irony? Don Plowman? Dick Pearce? You
can't remember this thread while you were posting to it?

Scott, Dick Pierce and Don Pearce are two different people.

Funny thing about the meter reders, they actualy do all sound th same.

Yet I can easily tell the difference between them...I guess my ears are better than
yours.

Um yeah that must be it. Couldn't have been well set up joke or
anything like that.

Both are capable of laying your arguments to waste,

So they choose to make asses of themselves instead? Odd choice.

Neither have done that...you, on the other hand, are making *quite* the
spectacle of yourself.

Sure. yeah. uh huh.

so perhaps
that's what's confused you.

I wasn't confused. Thank you for finally taking the bait. I had all but
given up on my punchline about all meter readers sounding the same.

Ah, you weren't confused...you *meant it all along*. You were just trolling,
then.

Are you feeling used? So sorry. But yes I was poking fun by mixing up
their names. I guess you missed me calling Dave Plowman Don Plowman. Oh
well.

Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Keith G wrote:
Sure, your own Abe Lincoln had that more or less pretty
well covered.....

??????????

Sorry, I've learned that it is unwise to give you more credit for deep
thought than you deserve...

Try: 'You can fool all of the people some of the time.....'

Ah. You mean George Bush.

http://en.thinkexist.com/quotation/y...nd/365431.html

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech Rob wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Mr.T
MrT@home wrote:
[...]

Not at all. But then maybe iIm actually understanding what I read.

Yeah if the meter readers can't corilate the numbers to the aesthetic
experience there must be something wrong with the aesthetic expeience.

Hmm...did anyone *here* say that?

Pretty much.

Don't think so.

Even you are subject to Bias stevie. You se what you want to see.

That's about as backassward as it gets. in the world of meter readers
the perception must bend to meet the expectations given to them by the
measurements.

Well, correlation of objective reality to subjective reality has its merits.
It allowed the creation of things like audio gear and recordings.

It did? I had no idea Edison was relying on that.

yet many vinylphiles seem less
interested in that than in promoting what they believe (often without basis)
are audible limitations of digital.

Maybe they are just looking for an explination for what they hear?

Oh, you mean, an objective correlate of their subjective experience? I thought that
was a nonstarter for you?

Maybe you are struggling with pronouns. When I say "they" i don't mean
"me." Pretty basic English don't you think? "I" don't worry so much
about explinations unless I think they can narrow the scope of things I
look out for when making purchases. "My" focus is on thr results not
the explanations for those results.

if that is so terrible but attacking the perceptions as wrong because
they don't fit the meter reader's formulas is completely reasonable.

What's usually wrong is not the effort, but the execution. Vinylphile 'explanations' of
digital tend to be laughable nonsense.

But you love that don't you? makes you feel better about your faith in
the almighty meter.

Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
message
In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:

Here's some helpful advice Scott - find a good newsgroup
about some area where you have some expertise in, like
makeup.

He is an expert on makeup?

That what we're told about him. He's a makeup artist of some renown in
LA.

Crikey. Doubt he talks much to the sound recordists. ;-)

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech Keith G wrote:

You seem angry. Also, you're missing the point of this thread..which is that
a CD transfer of an LP could well capture all that 'realism' you like.
If you claim it *can't ever* do that, then it's time to explain why that
could be so.

No, no one is required to have an explination for their perceptions.
You see that is part of the bull**** game. You demand an explination
for peoples' perceptions and when they offer a wild guess that has
obvious technical flaws you attack the whole claim via the explination.
It's ****ing shell game with you dorks. You don't like the aesthetic
perceptions when they don't line up with the technogeek meter readers
true love, the numbers.

Heavens, you do seem upset.

Anoyed.

If you don't like having your statements subjected to scrutiny, best not to post
to a public forum.

You call this scrutiny? You don't see the bull****? You really are lost
then.

I wonder how the *science* part of audio and electronics (it's all that nasty stuff in the
background that you really don't want to know about) would have progressed if
we never questioned what lies behind 'aesthetic perceptions'.

"We?" Dude give me a break. The meter reader geeks on Usenet have
contributed nothing to the advancement of audio. OTOH the heretical
designers of high end equipment have been on the cutting edge pushing
the envelope. Where would we be if the meter readers had their way?
Maybe listening to undithered CDs mastered on first generation A/D
converters on 14 bit players. Hey, the meter readers said right out of
the gate none of that stuff mattered. I shudder to think where audio
would be today if the Usenet dorks had their way. I am thankful that
you guys are on the sideline whining and bitching about high end rather
than actually influencing it.

And you are in the best position to comment. But might your technical
certainties twist your listening experience? Because you know that CD must
be better, do your prophecies self-fulfill?

I used to think the CD bigots bashed vinyl out of jealousy, having got rid
of their vinyl (like so many did), but so many of them claim to still own
many LPs - presumably for the opposite purpose of digging out the occasional
LP just to prove they still don't like 'em...???

Cover art, mainly. And a few that have never come out on CD, I've transferred
from LP. But all of them reside in the attic.

There you go. And you have no excuse Sully. You know that mastering is
an overriding factor.

Yes, I do. And that relates to all of this, how, exactly?

Um gosh maybe if yo wee paying attention. Just reread the thread from
the begining. If you still don't get it I'll hold your hand and point
you to the specifics.

What am I supposed to have
an 'excuse' for?

I suppose defending the dorks that claim there is no reason to transfer
LPs to digital because the CDs all sound better. did you miss that?

I'm sure lots of vinylphiles own a CD or two, too.

Or several hundred.

Shameful.

So are you going to get the MoFi Fragile?

Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com
Mr.T wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Which is all I'm complaining about, the unprovable
claim that vinyl is better than CD (rather than simply
saying - some CD's are dreadful despite the mediums
huge technical superiority.)

Hey mr science dude. How on earth is the claim
unbprovable? It's a simple claim to test and it has
been tested with vinyl coming out on top. You can wave
your arms all you want but that reality will not change.

So where is this "proof"?

Talk to the guy who made the world's only recording that
was made specifically to test this.

I can easily believe that Boyk, a well-known analog bigot, made a recording
designed to conceal the well-known audible deficiencies of the LP format.

Yes *you* could easily believe that.

Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jjnunes@sonic.net is offline

In rec.audio.tech Arny Krueger wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
message
In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:

Here's some helpful advice Scott - find a good newsgroup
about some area where you have some expertise in, like
makeup.

He is an expert on makeup?

That what we're told about him. He's a makeup artist of some renown in LA.

He's a make-up artist around here too.

And adjective challenged.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
But are so keen to name drop all the engineers you 'know'. You sound
like you don't know one end of a soldering iron from the other and
think that all the equipment you use was hatched from an egg rather
than designed by an engineer...

One would think from your post that one's ability to solder has
something to do with one's ability to make aesthetic judgements. Do I
hve to tell you just how stupid that idea is? Engineers do the work the
hobbyists consume it.

So they're mutually exclusive?

The ability to solder and the ability to make aestheic judgemens? Yes
they are.

Isn't that a tad pompous?

No, it is a very stupid to thnk they are in any way related.

One does not need to know anything about engineering to evaluate the
results.

And in your case to totally misunderstand them?

**** you never cease to amaze me with your stupidity. How does one
misunderstand their perceptions in and of themselves? Sure one can come
up with eroneous explanantions for the causes of heir peceptions but
misunderstand them? Again you are trying to call aesthetic peceptions
wrong because they don't meet the expectations of your worshipped
meansurements. no thank you.

Seems I've heard this before many many times. Usually from a bean counter.
Who doesn't understand how to evaluate technical matters either.

That doesn't even make sense.

But you find it important to know the name of who engineered a recording,

Yes. for reasons already explained to you.

but not to know how it's made, etc? Weird or what.

no just you making **** up again when your arguments fail. Where did I
ever say I don't care how it's made? I care in so far as I can relate
it to the end result.

It seems that in the case of the meter readers a little bit of knowledge
is a destructive force. Sad. To see you posture one would think you have
this wacky idea that you were actually a somebody in the world of audio.

I'm somebody in my world of audio.

Yeah right.

That's all that matters to me. You
seems terribly star struck.

You seem totally delluded.

Are you some kind of groupie?

You think you have groupies? Sure their not just cheap hookers?

Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
ps.com

"We?" Dude give me a break. The meter reader geeks on
Usenet have contributed nothing to the advancement of
audio.

That would include John Atkinson, of course, well-known for his use of test
equipment to characterize the performance of audio equipment, and long-time
poster on various Usenet audio groups.

Wow Scott, I didn't know that you had it in for John!

OTOH the heretical designers of high end equipment
have been on the cutting edge pushing the envelope.

As in receiving lots of paper cuts from pushing envelopes? ;-)

Where would we be if the meter readers had their way?

Pretty much wherever mainstream technology is today. Correct me if I'm wrong
but audio's subjectivism uber alles high priests have contributed *nothing*
to mainstream audio technology.

Maybe listening to undithered CDs mastered on first generation
A/D converters on 14 bit players.

Every card-carrying meter reader I know of believes in using dither. A CD or
two might have fallen through the cracks, but the meter-reader's rule books
say use dither or don't do digital.

AFAIK the few known examples of quantization failure on CD did not happen by
design, but by accident. They were the result of equipment that was prone to
being sensitive to adjustement and a tad drifty. Absense of dither was not
the problem.

the meter readers said right out of the gate none of that stuff mattered.

Speaks to Scott's lack of proper information about the state of digital
audio technology at the time. Does Scott know how to spell Nyquist and
Shannon? There's no evidence he has ever read their work, or has a clue
what they wrote, or when.

I shudder to think where audio would be today if the Usenet
dorks had their way.

Pretty much where it is. We abandoned vinyl as a mainstream format some
decades ago. Tubes were abandoned a decade or more before that. So much for
the parts of your listening room that you brag most about, Scott.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech
wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech
wrote:

Mr.T wrote:
"Keith G" wrote in message
[...]

You do much better at generating laughs, when you don't try.

Both are capable of laying your arguments to waste,

So they choose to make asses of themselves instead? Odd choice.

Neither have done that...you, on the other hand, are making *quite* the
spectacle of yourself.

Sure. yeah. uh huh.

Another well set up joke, no doubt.

so perhaps
that's what's confused you.

I wasn't confused. Thank you for finally taking the bait. I had all but
given up on my punchline about all meter readers sounding the same.

Ah, you weren't confused...you *meant it all along*. You were just trolling,
then.

Are you feeling used? So sorry. But yes I was poking fun by mixing up
their names. I guess you missed me calling Dave Plowman Don Plowman. Oh
well.

That name stuff is gold, *gold*.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech
wrote:

Not at all. But then maybe iIm actually understanding what I read.

But not the parts about the limits of human hearing, or the sources of errors
in interpreting what is heard. These are what I was referring to as 'the
well-documented limitations of listening'.

You should read up on them, they're *gold*.

Yeah if the meter readers can't corilate the numbers to the aesthetic
experience there must be something wrong with the aesthetic expeience.

Hmm...did anyone *here* say that?

Pretty much.

Don't think so.

Even you are subject to Bias stevie. You se what you want to see.

I see what you want to see, too. It's quite obvious.

That's about as backassward as it gets. in the world of meter readers
the perception must bend to meet the expectations given to them by the
measurements.

Well, correlation of objective reality to subjective reality has its merits.
It allowed the creation of things like audio gear and recordings.

It did? I had no idea Edison was relying on that.

Well, maybe you should do some reading on his work, too, then.

yet many vinylphiles seem less
interested in that than in promoting what they believe (often without basis)
are audible limitations of digital.

Maybe they are just looking for an explination for what they hear?

Oh, you mean, an objective correlate of their subjective experience? I thought that
was a nonstarter for you?

Maybe you are struggling with pronouns. When I say "they" i don't mean
"me."

Ah, you mean people like Keith, my reply to whom set you off on this latest tirade.

Pretty basic English don't you think? "I" don't worry so much
about explinations unless I think they can narrow the scope of things I
look out for when making purchases. "My" focus is on thr results not
the explanations for those results.

Scott, you'd do best not to chastise others for their command of English.
You've embarrassed yourself enough as is.

But you have hit on a wonderful example of the usefulness of explanations:
they help you evaluate the claims of advertisers and manufacturers. If the explanation is
technically or logically dubious, there's a good chance the claim is too.

It's funny that having hit upon this, you backtracked immediately from it.

if that is so terrible but attacking the perceptions as wrong because
they don't fit the meter reader's formulas is completely reasonable.

What's usually wrong is not the effort, but the execution. Vinylphile 'explanations' of
digital tend to be laughable nonsense.

But you love that don't you? makes you feel better about your faith in
the almighty meter.

Vinylphile stereotypes of the reality-based population tend to be laughable
nonsense too.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech

In article . com,
wrote:
One would think from your post that one's ability to solder has
something to do with one's ability to make aesthetic judgements. Do
I hve to tell you just how stupid that idea is? Engineers do the
work the hobbyists consume it.

So they're mutually exclusive?

The ability to solder and the ability to make aestheic judgemens? Yes
they are.

Wonder what your only 'supporter' Mr G will make of that? He loves to
build kit and is the vinyl disciple to end all disciples.

Isn't that a tad pompous?

No, it is a very stupid to thnk they are in any way related.

I'd guess you haven't understood plain English - again. Perhaps because
there aren't any curses in it.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote:
In rec.audio.tech
wrote:

Not at all. But then maybe iIm actually understanding what I read.

But not the parts about the limits of human hearing, or the sources of errors
in interpreting what is heard. These are what I was referring to as 'the
well-documented limitations of listening'.

Suffering from an identity crisis?

You should read up on them, they're *gold*.

I have actually. that is one of the many reasons I get such a laugh at
the idiots on Usenet and their complete misapplication and
misinerpretation of psychoacoustics. The idea that human hearing is
wrong while technical measurements are right when it comes to this
hobby is a prime example of that misapplication.

Yeah if the meter readers can't corilate the numbers to the aesthetic
experience there must be something wrong with the aesthetic expeience.

Hmm...did anyone *here* say that?

Pretty much.

Don't think so.

Even you are subject to Bias stevie. You se what you want to see.

I see what you want to see, too. It's quite obvious.

Do tell. What is it I want to to see? Share with us your insight.

That's about as backassward as it gets. in the world of meter readers
the perception must bend to meet the expectations given to them by the
measurements.

Well, correlation of objective reality to subjective reality has its merits.
It allowed the creation of things like audio gear and recordings.

It did? I had no idea Edison was relying on that.

Well, maybe you should do some reading on his work, too, then.

How about filling us in?

yet many vinylphiles seem less
interested in that than in promoting what they believe (often without basis)
are audible limitations of digital.

Maybe they are just looking for an explination for what they hear?

Oh, you mean, an objective correlate of their subjective experience? I thought that
was a nonstarter for you?

Maybe you are struggling with pronouns. When I say "they" i don't mean
"me."

Ah, you mean people like Keith,

No i don't.

my reply to whom set you off on this latest tirade.

tirade? Suffering from hypersensitivity? Did it really bother you that
much to be the sucker who set up my joke about meter readers all
sounding the same? It was just a poke.

Pretty basic English don't you think? "I" don't worry so much
about explinations unless I think they can narrow the scope of things I
look out for when making purchases. "My" focus is on thr results not
the explanations for those results.

Scott, you'd do best not to chastise others for their command of English.
You've embarrassed yourself enough as is.

Big difference between speeling errors and mistakes like confusing
"they" with" I." But really I don't think it was as much a language
problem with you as it was the trappings of your prejudices. Like I
said, you see what you want to see, not what I actually write. You talk
about me embarrassing myself. OK put up or shut up. Without taking
something out of context cite one thing that I have said about the
subject of LPs v. Cds on this thread that you think was embarrassingly
wrong. only rules are it has to be about the subject, I had to actually
say it and you have to leave it in the context inwhich it was said.

But you have hit on a wonderful example of the usefulness of explanations:
they help you evaluate the claims of advertisers and manufacturers. If the explanation is
technically or logically dubious, there's a good chance the claim is too.

That may or may not be. never really spent any time trying to study the
connection. But we aren't talking about that. Would you say the same is
true of audiophiles? Would you say the claims of cause offered by
audiophiles in any way reflects the claims of theaesthetic experiences
that spawn those explanations?

It's funny that having hit upon this, you backtracked immediately from it.

How did I back track?

if that is so terrible but attacking the perceptions as wrong because
they don't fit the meter reader's formulas is completely reasonable.

What's usually wrong is not the effort, but the execution. Vinylphile 'explanations' of
digital tend to be laughable nonsense.

But you love that don't you? makes you feel better about your faith in
the almighty meter.

Vinylphile stereotypes of the reality-based population tend to be laughable
nonsense too.

IOW yes.

Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
One would think from your post that one's ability to solder has
something to do with one's ability to make aesthetic judgements. Do
I hve to tell you just how stupid that idea is? Engineers do the
work the hobbyists consume it.

So they're mutually exclusive?

The ability to solder and the ability to make aestheic judgemens? Yes
they are.

Wonder what your only 'supporter' Mr G will make of that?

I'll bet he agrees. I think he is smart enough to know his soldering
skills are independent of his listening skills.

He loves to
build kit

Yes I have noticed that. I have yet to see him claim that his skills at
building has any impact on his listening skills.

and is the vinyl disciple to end all disciples.

Disciple? I know he generally prefers LPs over CDs. I guess you can't
wrap your punny brain around that so you have to attack it. sad

Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
I seem to recall that Scott claims to have heard
differences due to cables, in a single-blind test.

More likely in a sighted test, like all the rest of
his listening "tests".

We call "single blind" tests "Egregiously flawed double
blind tests". ;-)

Yes, but what do you call sighted "tests" then :-)

They aren't tests at all.

That's why I put the word in inverted commas.

It wasn't reproduced that way in OE.

Funny, it's still showing them in my copy of OE6.
Not that it's important.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Mr.T used quotation marks which aren't top set characters so may or may
not come out correctly on your reader depending on a number of things.
Same as the pound sign "£" (that could be fun) so should called gbp on
newsnet. For this reason most use inverted commas rather than quotation
marks as these are top set characters.

I see the confusion now, thanks for the tip.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
Now where's the specs on the cutting lathe though :-(

The cutting lathe probably performs better than the
user's cartridge, etc.

I'm not so sure about that myself. I'm sure there were
worse cutting heads than my Shure V15VMR, and there are
FAR more expensive cartridges available.

Or there were and probably still are some bad cutting heads, but most that
were used to produce most records were pretty good.

Yes, and $1,000 cartridges are pretty good. The question is HOW good at the
time they are used.
It was my experience that they were not always replaced as often as they
should be. Trying to reduce costs is not a new concept.
A more common problem was trying to make each stamper last far longer than
optimum though. And using crappy vinyl compounds, and a hundred other
problems some seem capable of forgetting.

In fact half
speed mastering was to reduce the deficiencies of the
cutting lathes,

Sort of. Half speed mastering mostly addressed HF losses and excess

heating
in the cutting heads.

Sort of? Aren't those deficiencies?
BTW there are some other benefits though, such as less groove
flow/deformation around the cutter.

t a cartridge doesn't need to cut a
groove as it goes. (although some do :-)

That may seem to be intuitively clear, but there are some hidden details.
One hidden detail is that it is quite easy for a cutter to create a groove
that can't be properly tracked by *any* cartridge.

Sure, including those used to test the master. One would hope it is
rejected, but amazingly some pretty bad examples were produced in days gone
by.
Yet the vinyl brigade insists that only CD mastering is crook :-)

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
Cassettes only held a certain popularity due
the player being installed in 'upmarket' car audio systems for a long time

**** EVERY car sold had a cassette player at one time.

Much of CD's success was due to the plentiful supply of reasonably-priced
hardware,

What crap, the hardware was prohibitively expensive for most at the outset.
The prices fell BECAUSE of mass production that comes AFTER public
acceptance.
The disks here in Australia were *twice* the price of the equivalent vinyl
for MANY years, and still outsold vinyl before too long.

SACD and DVD-A could have had the same success if the MI hadn't been so
greedy with the price of new releases

Actually the prices were CHEAPER (in real terms) in comparison to the
original CD players and disks. However the market was extremely limited
since not many could see the need for a format primarily designed for bats.
(actually it was *totally* designed to make more money by selling new
hardware and the same software yet again. Fortunately they failed miserably)

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
SACD and DVD-A discs are and were sold for about the same price as CDs.

Less than the original price of CD if adjusted for inflation.

When the sales failed to take off, nobody with a brain invested in more

new
titles.

Nobody *with a brain* invested in a SACD/DVDA player to begin with.

and
at least one hardware manufacturer had had the foresight
to make a DVD video player with additional 5.1 *audio
only* capability available at a reasonable price.

As a rule DVD players do just fine with 5.1 discs that are essentially
music-only.

But why would you want *music only* when you can get 5.1 DVD music video's
for less than the CD price in many cases?
You can still listen to the sound with the TV off, if you prefer.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
LOL and that is where the world of audio begins and ends for dorks like
you.

Your failure to supply YOUR obviously non dictionary definition is noted.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
What kills me is these clowns don't seem to realise there is no small

degree
of *engineering* in vinyl and vinyl playback systems...

Some of us were those Engineers! We are the ones with enough experience to
know when technology has moved on. You obviously don't.

MrT.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...

Now where is your proof to the contrary?

I see no proof in the link you have quoted?

MrT.

Why would someone like LP? Helen Schmidt High End Audio 376 July 22nd 05 01:07 AM
Swap Vinyl Save Cash! swapthing Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 07:11 PM
Timing Michael Mossey High End Audio 58 January 7th 05 08:19 PM
CD verses vinyl - help clear dispute WideGlide Pro Audio 188 March 13th 04 09:23 PM
SOTA vinyl mastering Thom Halvorsen High End Audio 26 October 24th 03 12:41 AM