bantamdl

Default RME Trouble - PCI card or Mutiface dying ?

Hello,

Been using

Multiface / PCI card combination
Nuendo (currently at version 2.20)
Dual 1 GHZ Mac G4
OS X (currently on Panther 10.3.9)

for about 2 years.

Today, all of a sudden, after a mid day shut down and reboot, the
Multiface shows the "Host Error" light, which stays on permanently. The
system consequently can not communicate with the hardware in any app
(nuendo, itunes, quicktime, etc.)

Over the last two years, this would happen infrequently (once or twice
every other month, maybe). It would usually correct itself with a
reboot.

Today, it seems to have become a permanent condition : The 'host error'
light stays on, and the system does not even seem to be recognizing the
PCI card. (checked system profiler, and i don't see a listing under
"PCI" that explicity lists the RME card)

I've always kept up to date on the drivers, and was literally working
fine as recently as this morning. The problem happenned suddenly after
hours of functioning perfectly. It was literally working with no
hitches, then reboot, and boom - not working... and i can not recover.

question :
is there any way to know or test whether the PCI card is defective ?
I've reseated it in it's slot, and that did not correct the problem.

In any case, in the unfortunate situation that the PCI card just simply
up and died, can i replace just the PCI card and still interface with
the same Multiface ?? or are the card and the multiface box tied
together ?
(im assuming not, but want to be sure). If i replace the card, is there
anything i need to know so as not to damage the multiface ?

Is there any way to determine (to explore the worst possible case
scenario) if the multiface is still functional ??

anyone have any thoughts ?? or suggestions for how to diagnose ?

dan luperini
Burbank, CA

Animix

anyone have any thoughts ?? or suggestions for how to diagnose ?

First things first-try a different (new or one you know to be good) cable
between the Multiface and the PCI card.

DJ

"bantamdl" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

jtougas

On 8 May 2005 11:57:28 -0700, "bantamdl" wrote:

Hello,

Today, it seems to have become a permanent condition : The 'host error'
light stays on, and the system does not even seem to be recognizing the
PCI card. (checked system profiler, and i don't see a listing under
"PCI" that explicity lists the RME card)

dan luperini
Burbank, CA

Also, try slipping the PCI card over a slot, if you have space. If
you've been having the problem in slow perpetuity, the PCI slot may
have been going bad. Cleaning the contacts that go into the PCI slot
with a clean eraser can also help.

Good luck -

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
bantamdl

no dice.

tried :

cleaning contacts (clearing of dust, etc)
putting back in same pci slot
putting in different pci slot.
new firewire cable

none of this worked.

the mutliface is getting power - as soon as i turn the computer on, the
lights go on and the "host error" light goes on. so.. somehow the
electrical path is there...

but again, the system profiler only shows two of my three known pci
cards :
1) video card and 2) "other pci" device (this should be my uad card -
it is functioning properly and visible from within nuendo..) so i'm
assuming the one it's missing is the rme card. this happens when the
card is in any of the pci slots.

not good.

drat !!! looks like another couple hundred smackeroos will be
disappearing into the studio.. sure hope the mutliface is ok..

thanks for the thoughts and help, guys.
-d

playon

You should try getting some help on the RME forum if you think it's
the card.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/info/newsgrp.htm

Al

[...]

Roger W. Norman

Reinstall your card drivers. At the least, it's worth a try.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
"bantamdl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

bantamdl

tried reinstalling the drivers. am getting no help from the folks at
rme support and on the rme newsgroup.

there's been documented problems with earlier versions of the card and
mac power supplies, but i've been working for 2+ years with this setup,
with no hitches

in an act of desperation, i purchased a new pci card, installed in
severall different pci slots, and the problem still occurs. i'm
completely dead in the water.

anyone know anyone in the l.a. area that could look at my mac + the rme
box and card and try to diagnose this ??? i'm in the middle of a mix
that i really need to finish asap. grrrrrrrr.

help !!!
-d

jtougas

On 9 May 2005 22:26:04 -0700, "bantamdl" wrote:

in an act of desperation, i purchased a new pci card, installed in
severall different pci slots, and the problem still occurs. i'm
completely dead in the water.

You've eliminated the PCI slot, the card, & the firewire cable as the
problem, sooo... sounds like an error in the Multiface, unfortunately.

Have you tried... errr... *can* you get the Multiface to run audio
without being connected to the Mac? Have you tried the combo with a
PC (yeah, yeah, I know, but what's left)? And have you tried getting a
firewire hub? If it's a problem with running back to a Mac power
supply, eliminate the power supply from the chain. You should be able
to pick one up at Fry's...

Know anyone else who has a Multiface that'd be nice enough to let you
borrow theirs?

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings

Roger W. Norman

Well, if it's not your card, it's likely the multiface box itself. One
question is whether the "host error" light is on with the new card
installed? That should point to one of two possibilities. A) the firewire
connection to the multiface is bad, or B) the firewire interface inside of
the multiface is bad. Firewire uses a chip on each side of the wire, so
it's possible it simply can't talk both ways.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/