TheBIessedDead

Default Question on my Directed Audio components...

Hey all, I just received my Pioneer 750MP and Directed Audio S650 components in
the mail today, and I had a question regarding the components.

Nowhere in the packaging or on the speaker do I see what ohm the speakers are.
I'm curious what kind of load my amp will be seeing when I hook them up. Are
the tweeter and woofer just one final load.. of say 4 ohm? If I hook one side
to the left channel of my amp, and one side to the right channel of my amp, I'm
assuming I'll just see a 4 ohm stereo load. Is there a better way to wire
these? I mean, like with subs, is there different way to wire components to
see different loads?

Thanks, Nick
TheBIessedDead

Generally, car component sets are designed such that if you connect
the amp output to the components' crossover, and then wire the
crossover to the speakers, the amp will see a nominal 4-ohm load.

Here's a link to the specifications for the S650. Looks like they are
4-ohm nominal:

Hey thaks alot Scott.

So I'm guessing there is no way to wire them so the amp will see a lower load?
(Aside from just bridging the amp, but then I'd lose balance controls right?).
So, it seems to me that I'm simply going to have to upgrade my amp to
something that puts out more power at 4 ohm later down the road.

Nick
TheBIessedDead

Nick,
You're right - you don't have any options for varying the
impedance of the component speakers, but you might not have to get rid
of your current amp. If it can be bridged mono, you could bridge your
amp and use it to drive one side, then buy another identical amp and
do the same thing to it for the other side.
Let me know what you currently have for an amp, and I'll make
some suggestions.

Scott

Hey Scott, I don't have the model number of my amp off hand, as I picked it up
from my brother about a year ago, and its been sitting in a closet at my old
house since then. Its an MTX, and I believe it is like 60x2 or 75x2..
Something like that. I'll get the model number when I go pick it up today.

I'm not TOO worried about getting a new amp all of a sudden, just thinking
ahead in case I decide I want more power. I'm actually in the process of
trying to buy my brothers Hifonics 5 channel amp from him, so I could run my
entire system off one amp for now.

Though, buying a second MTX amp wouldn't be a half bad idea either...

Anyhow, gonna tackle the speakers today... So we'll see how it goes. This is
my first attempt with components.

Thanks, Nick