drj

Default Where is the Toyota AMP? How do I test it?

I have a Toyota Sienna (98) and want to replace the not working
"Premium" radio/cassette with another toyota factory radio. I bought
a radio/cd from a 99 Camry and thought I could just plug it in.
However, the radio in the Sienna has a different plug (one plug versus
2 plugs for the camry) ... apparently it has a separate AMP. The
Sienna radio has an additional coax connection right beside the
Antenna connection. What is that for? I don't know if the radio is
bad or the AMP. I can't find the AMP and I can't find a fuse for it
either (maybe just a blown fuse).

My plan now is to locate the AMP and bypass it by wiring the new
radio/cd into the speaker wires coming out of the AMP. Does anyone
know where to find the AMP and can it be easliy bypassed? Is the new
camry radio/cd powerfull enough to run the factory speakers (6 of
them). Can I join the tweeter speakers to the front speakers?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
David

My info shows that the factory amp is located below/behind the factory
radio. Usually, the tweeters' crossovers are handled within the factory amp,
having six separate outputs, but I've seen several that have only four
outputs - having the crossovers located on the tweeter itself. In many
Toyotas, the amplifier accepts the same factory plugs as the non-premium
radios, allowing you to simply unplug the amp and plug the harnesses
directly into the new radio (or aftermarket wiring adapter). The second
(smaller) coaxial wire that you mention is a diversity antenna. If the
replacement radio doesn't have a jack for it, just secure it and forget
it...

David
UnderTheDash.com

"drj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

drj

Thanks for the Info David. You were right on. I did another search
for the AMP and sure enough it was located near the floor below and
behind the radio. Had to take a storage compartment out to get at it.
Like you said, just unplug the AMP and plug it into the new radio.
Works great.

Any ideas on how I determine if the old AMP or the old Radio is bad?
When connected the radio would come on but no sound was produced.

Thanks again for the help.

"David" wrote in message ...
My info shows that the factory amp is located below/behind the factory
radio. Usually, the tweeters' crossovers are handled within the factory amp,
having six separate outputs, but I've seen several that have only four
outputs - having the crossovers located on the tweeter itself. In many
Toyotas, the amplifier accepts the same factory plugs as the non-premium
radios, allowing you to simply unplug the amp and plug the harnesses
directly into the new radio (or aftermarket wiring adapter). The second
(smaller) coaxial wire that you mention is a diversity antenna. If the
replacement radio doesn't have a jack for it, just secure it and forget
it...

David
UnderTheDash.com

"drj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

David

Make sure that ALL the fuses are good. Toyota separates the audio fuses to
two different locations: Under the dash and under the hood...

David
UnderTheDash.com

om...

"David" wrote in message

My info shows that the factory amp is located below/behind the factory
radio. Usually, the tweeters' crossovers are handled within the factory

amp,
having six separate outputs, but I've seen several that have only four
outputs - having the crossovers located on the tweeter itself. In many
Toyotas, the amplifier accepts the same factory plugs as the non-premium
radios, allowing you to simply unplug the amp and plug the harnesses
directly into the new radio (or aftermarket wiring adapter). The second
(smaller) coaxial wire that you mention is a diversity antenna. If the
replacement radio doesn't have a jack for it, just secure it and forget
it...

David
UnderTheDash.com

"drj" wrote in message
om...
[...]

David

Also, you can bench check the combo by plugging a Metra 71-1761 into the amp
and connecting the amp to the radio (if the cable came out with the amp...)

David
UnderTheDash.com

om...

"David" wrote in message

My info shows that the factory amp is located below/behind the factory
radio. Usually, the tweeters' crossovers are handled within the factory

amp,
having six separate outputs, but I've seen several that have only four
outputs - having the crossovers located on the tweeter itself. In many
Toyotas, the amplifier accepts the same factory plugs as the non-premium
radios, allowing you to simply unplug the amp and plug the harnesses
directly into the new radio (or aftermarket wiring adapter). The second
(smaller) coaxial wire that you mention is a diversity antenna. If the
replacement radio doesn't have a jack for it, just secure it and forget
it...

David
UnderTheDash.com

om...