Alan Rosenthal

Default Ipod: Lossless compression isn't everything

I have a new 40-gig Ipod to which I have downloaded music from some of
my CDs using Apple Lossless compression. Compared to the sound of CDs
from my component stereo (good but not "golden ears") or even my $150
Sony discman using the same Sony MDV600 phones in all three settings,
the Ipod sounds kind of lousy -- grainy, IM-distorted, constricted.
It's not, you know, so blatant that any 9th-grade
hiphop fan would notice, but to me it seems quite pronounced. Anyone
else had a similar experience? It sounds like at the tail-end of all
that technology they put
the analog audio of a $20 walkman!

Codifus

Alan Rosenthal wrote:
I have a new 40-gig Ipod to which I have downloaded music from some of
my CDs using Apple Lossless compression. Compared to the sound of CDs
from my component stereo (good but not "golden ears") or even my $150
Sony discman using the same Sony MDV600 phones in all three settings,
the Ipod sounds kind of lousy -- grainy, IM-distorted, constricted.
It's not, you know, so blatant that any 9th-grade
hiphop fan would notice, but to me it seems quite pronounced. Anyone
else had a similar experience? It sounds like at the tail-end of all
that technology they put
the analog audio of a $20 walkman!

Since you are using the lossless format, it should sound exactly like
the original. Is there a way you can listen to the original CD audio
data through your IPod? That would be the fairest comparison. I would
tend to think that the problems you're experiencing lie elsewhere,
like perhaps the amplifier within the ipod, the DAC etc.

CD