Default Computer to Whole Home Audio

Pardon my Ignorance:
I just bought a house with whole home audio. When I connect my
computer to the RCA input jacks (via a cable from the 3.5mm headphone
jack) I only get audio in 1 room. My guess is that I'm missing
hardware; an amplifier or receiver or something, but I don't know what
I need. Right now it's just going straight from my computer into the
wall which connects it to the whole house speakers. What do I need to
buy, and can you suggest what features in that product will aid the
sound quality?
thanks!

Check to see if there is some control of distribution,ie. what signal
source goes to what room or other destination. This is likely a panel
with switches and/or knobs which control the signal paths. It might be a
box or even placed in some wall in some out of the way location like a
closet nearest where the original signal sources might have been for the
person who used it previously. You might have multiple amps tucked away
somewhere, or the previous owner took them. Asking him would be the
shorest answer to your question.

I just bought a house with whole home audio. When I connect my
computer to the RCA input jacks (via a cable from the 3.5mm headphone
jack) I only get audio in 1 room. My guess is that I'm missing
hardware; an amplifier or receiver or something, but I don't know what
I need. Right now it's just going straight from my computer into the
wall which connects it to the whole house speakers. What do I need to
buy, and can you suggest what features in that product will aid the
sound quality?
thanks!

Unfortuantely, both the previous owner and the system installer are
providing unhelpful so I am stuck. There is a Xantech smart switch
which controls the audio distribution to the rooms but it doesn't
differentiate between L and R spekaers within the same room and right
now I can only get audio out of the R speaker in 1 room.
thanks!
Bojack Bojack is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

This is a thorny problem, as you undoutedly paid for a home advertised as having "whole house audio." If that's what you paid for, I would consult your realtor and attorney first! If you run into a wall, stay on top of the installer. I'm in the custom home installation business and know that this is not the type of call we like to get because it means pulling up CAD schematics and getting technicians to go troubleshoot. If they installed it, they are obligated to service it. And you should not be obligated to pay a dime. Good luck.