Pete

Default Klipsch SB-3, Paradigm Monitor 3 ?

Hi all,

I haven't found much in the archives so I thought I'd ask if any of you had
anything to say about comparison of these two speakers. The Klipsch is the
new version:
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=833 . The Monitor 3 - well,
everyone knows that one I'm sure.

SB-3 costs about $300/pair. M3 - my local dealer wants $480/pair (is that
really the going price??)

They would be powered by an older Denon AVR-2801, and mostly used for
listening to music (trance, electronic, pop). I'm in a rather small
apartment, so I'm just going to stick with bookshelves and not irritate my
neighbours with too much bass. I'm just looking for clear, detailed sound
with clean highs and not muddy low-end (if that's even possible with such
small speakers).

Is the Klipsch even worth considering? I haven't been able to find any
professional reviews on it.

What else should I consider in about $350 price range?

Thanks for the help.

Pete

Pete wrote:
Hi all,

I haven't found much in the archives so I thought I'd ask if any of you had
anything to say about comparison of these two speakers. The Klipsch is the
new version:
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=833 . The Monitor 3 - well,
everyone knows that one I'm sure.

SB-3 costs about $300/pair. M3 - my local dealer wants $480/pair (is that
really the going price??)

That's list price.

They would be powered by an older Denon AVR-2801, and mostly used for
listening to music (trance, electronic, pop). I'm in a rather small
apartment, so I'm just going to stick with bookshelves and not irritate my
neighbours with too much bass. I'm just looking for clear, detailed sound
with clean highs and not muddy low-end (if that's even possible with such
small speakers).

Is the Klipsch even worth considering? I haven't been able to find any
professional reviews on it.

What else should I consider in about $350 price range?

Can't help you on the Klipsch. In the $350 range, I'd also look at PSB
(Image B15 or maybe the Alpha). It's not a price point that attracts a
lot of attention, for some reason. You'll see raves for the $250 gems
(Paradigm Atom/Titan, PSB Alpha), and then a jump to $450 or so.

If you can stretch to cover the Monitor 3, some of its obvious
competitors a
B&W 601
Infinity Primus 250
PSB Image B25

But ideas won't help you if you can't find them locally, take them
home, and try them out. You're better off really trying out what you
have available, and judging for yourself.

bob
Pete

That's list price.

Meaning I should be able to get them for less?

Thanks for your other suggestions. I'll check them out.

Pete

Russ Button

Pete wrote:

What else should I consider in about $350 price range?

Madisound has a number of fine kits in this price range.

The Sledgling kit from Madisound at $208/pair.

http://www.madisound.com/sled.html

The Vifa studio monitor kit for $485/pair.

http://www.madisound.com/vifastudio.html

The AUDIO-REVIEW.COM KIT at $340/pair

http://www.madisound.com/ar_com.html

All of these kits come with pre-built cabinets and could
be assembled in about an hour's time. If you can read
directions, you can assemble these kits.

Frankly I'm not partial to horn speakers such as those
from Klipsch and I think you'd get more sound for your
money in assembling a Madisound kit.

Russ