mayhemkrew

Default Good Deal?

Just picked up a Directed 600/5 from eBay which the seller says it's brand
new for $275+$20 for shipping. It was the amp I am looking for, good deal?

Mister_B

Decent price for sure !! The other DEI and Viper 5 channels arent so ho
.. Those models 600/5 and 1200/5 are nice though ! You're gonna pus
the sub channel at 2 ohms I assume
--
Mister_
Mister_B's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=2813

mayhemkrew

Yea most likely...gonna be using one 12" Alpine Type-R for that. . .
Interiors not sure yet. Source unit will be a Pioneer AVH-6500DVD. Funny
thing is that I will not be using the amp for like a year when I get the new
car. Just getting all the stuff ready and buying it at a leisurely pace.

"Mister_B" wrote in message
s.com...
Decent price for sure !! The other DEI and Viper 5 channels arent so hot
. Those models 600/5 and 1200/5 are nice though ! You're gonna push
the sub channel at 2 ohms I assume ?
--
Mister_B
Mister_B's Profile:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=28133
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=190332

John Durbin

Um, excuse me but what do you base that on? The Viper 450.5, Directed
450d5, and this year's 600/5 are in fact pretty much the same unit,
other than the Viper having more variable filters than the two Directed
variants. Same for the 1100d5 and 1100.5 vs. the 1200/5... if you can
tell any difference between these units other than the obvious: plugs
vs. terminals, variable filters vs. switches, and heat sink appearance,
I'm a monkey's uncle.

Going back farther (2001 and earlier), the Directed class AB models 350
and 650 were no slouches either, with dual power supplies and more than
adequate bass power and very reasonably priced. Granted, the newer
hybrid models probably give you a little more bang for the buck on the
sub channel - as they should given the slight price premium - but all of
our 5 channel models have performed extremely well, not a gutless one in
the bunch.

The 600/5 sub channel should be run @ 2 ohm for optimum performance...
it's noticeably stronger that way vs. at 4 ohm.

JD

Mister_B wrote:

Decent price for sure !! The other DEI and Viper 5 channels arent so hot
.. Those models 600/5 and 1200/5 are nice though ! You're gonna push
the sub channel at 2 ohms I assume ?

Mister_B

I have seen quite a few "other" Dei/Viper 5 channel models dies prett
easily .. Case closed .
--
Mister_
Mister_B's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=2813
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...ad.php?t=19033

mayhemkrew

Thanks for the tip John, I was debating on what Alpine Type-R to get, now I
think I will just get the dual 4ohm sub and wire each coil in parallel to
get my 2 ohm load.

news

Mister_B wrote:

Decent price for sure !! The other DEI and Viper 5 channels arent so hot
.. Those models 600/5 and 1200/5 are nice though ! You're gonna push
the sub channel at 2 ohms I assume ?

mayhemkrew

Oh and another question John, since I am assuming you work for DEI. The
auction I won was closed (after I won the item) by eBay due the vero program
(Verified Rights Owner). Does DEI forbid their products to be sold on eBay?

Mister_B wrote:

Decent price for sure !! The other DEI and Viper 5 channels arent so hot
.. Those models 600/5 and 1200/5 are nice though ! You're gonna push
the sub channel at 2 ohms I assume ?

Mister_B

Was it closed after John came here mayhem ? I bet he had um close it an
bought their stock up .. He seems like he has something stuck up hi
you know what .. All kind of DEI products are sold on ebay - Viper to
..
--
Mister_
Mister_B's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...hp?userid=2813
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...ad.php?t=19033

mayhemkrew

no before. . .so doubt it was him.

"Mister_B" wrote in message
s.com...
Was it closed after John came here mayhem ? I bet he had um close it and
bought their stock up .. He seems like he has something stuck up his
you know what .. All kind of DEI products are sold on ebay - Viper too
..
--
Mister_B
Mister_B's Profile:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=28133
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=190332

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

The
auction I won was closed (after I won the item) by eBay due the vero program
(Verified Rights Owner). Does DEI forbid their products to be sold on eBay?

It was probably MY auction you were looking at. I'm on Ebay as
Full-Line-Audio.
Do you still want the amp?

I'm a long time Directed dealer, and in fact the first authorized online dealer
for a couple of their audio brands. As such,
I have always done what I can to enhance the perceived value of Directed
products in the marketplace.

I was offered closeout deals on the Viper amplifiers, and was told by my
salesman,
as is usual with closeouts, that I could do what I want with them to blow them
out.
So I put them on Ebay. As you know, Directed then went ahead and had Ebay pull
my listings for the closeout products.

A letter to their legal department, reminding them that I am an authorized
dealer, and of the circumstances under which this product was offered to me was
met with "whatever our salespeople told you verbally is unenforceable. You are
not allowed to discount these products"

How's that for nice business practice?

Actually, JD is trying to obtain a more palatable solution in my behalf.
Meanwhile, I'm a step away from losing my Ebay account, and have a pile of
Viper amps that I can't move.

..
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php

mayhemkrew

I am not sure if it was your auction or not, cause I did pay for the amp,
cause I won the auction with a buy it now price. So everything "should"
have went through already. According to the person who I was emailing with
said the amp was shipped yesterday.

"Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology" wrote in
message ...

.
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php

John Durbin

Good for you... I have access to the failure rate data for every amp
we've ever shipped, and these units are rock solid both for performance
and reliability.

But thanks for your help in not answering this guy's question.

JD
= product manager for the amps you are badmouthing

Mister_B wrote:

I have seen quite a few "other" Dei/Viper 5 channel models dies pretty
easily .. Case closed ..

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

But thanks for your help in not answering this guy's question.

He reminds me of an idiot I had in my store once.
He brought back a brand new head unit that he had obvisouly burnt via incorrect
installation.

I gave him an over-the-counter exchange, but cautioned him I would only do this
once, and that he needed to be more careful.

His answer? "don't give me that crap. I'm a PROFESSIONAL installer, and I
KNOW for a fact at leat 40% of Pioneer radios are bad out the box."

So, JD, the jig is up.
Everything Directed makes probably has a 40% defect rate too. Just ask a
PROFESSIONAL.

..
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php
Tha Ghee

[...]

that is funny! if any company shipped 40% of their products in a defective
state they couldn't stay in business. some of the snake oil some people say
is mind boggling. don't they think for a second and use common sense.