Richard Whisnant

Default the ultimate portable bass drum

I caught a live local show this weekend, a house concert on a tiny
stage, that featured a drummer playing a suitcase for his bass drum.
The group, the Two Dollar Pistols (http://www.twodollarpistols.net/)
does "trademark Bakersfield honky tonk" in addition to the occasional
countrified cover of the likes of The Clash and The Replacements. The
drummer stood the suitcase on end, dropped a D-112 through a hole in
the other end, and just fed the PA that way. The kik sounded awesome,
in that setting. He also had a mount attached for a single tom.
Minimal stage space, maximal punch. He claimed to use only genuine
Samsonite. Has anyone else heard such a kit?
philicorda

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:58:31 -0700, Richard Whisnant wrote:

I caught a live local show this weekend, a house concert on a tiny
stage, that featured a drummer playing a suitcase for his bass drum.
The group, the Two Dollar Pistols (http://www.twodollarpistols.net/)
does "trademark Bakersfield honky tonk" in addition to the occasional
countrified cover of the likes of The Clash and The Replacements. The
drummer stood the suitcase on end, dropped a D-112 through a hole in
the other end, and just fed the PA that way. The kik sounded awesome,
in that setting. He also had a mount attached for a single tom.
Minimal stage space, maximal punch. He claimed to use only genuine
Samsonite. Has anyone else heard such a kit?

I saw a busker using a wooden box like that as part of a traps kit.
The snare was a small 8 inch long metal frame, skin attached at both ends,
and the snares directly on the batter head! The cymbals had loads of holes
drilled in them to make them quiet and save weight. It sounded pretty good
too.

I must admit I've made real bass drums sound like suitcases sometimes.