David

Default INSTALLATION PROBLEM: Kenwood 515-S

Pull the radio from the dash and unplug the harness from the radio, but not
the car. Check the radio's yellow wire for 12v (regardless of key
posistion), and the red wire for 12v when the key is turned to ACC or RUN.
You should use a meter for the test, because a test light will light up with
LESS THAN 12v - which may be your problem...

Also, test the ground wire against a known ground, like the cigarette
lighter socket shell.

Then, just to be on the safe side, check all the speaker wires against
ground to make sure that none of them are pinched or grounded...

If all these wires test ok, then the radio has a problem, not the car or the
install!

David
UnderTheDash.com

"Joshua M. Dotson" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am in the middle of installing my Kenwood 515-S CD Receiver into
my 1997 Buick Riviera. After hunting down the parts today all day
(dash kit, harness, etc.) and hooking it all up, it doesn't quite
work. When I turn on the ignition or switch the car to ACC the deck
powers up (only the backlights, no text or display). Then, no more
than two seconds later, it goes black and powers off. All of the
wires are connecting to the appropriate pigtails of the harness. I
have checked the fuses for the car. Also I have checked, and replaced
the fuse that is on the "constant" or yellow power wire coming from
the deck. In an attempt to test for a short in the "constant" and
"switching" (red) wires; I transposed them. None of my efforts has
changed the outcome. The reset button of the deck only seems to begin
this process again (power on, and two seconds later, power off). This
seems quite odd to me. Someone with experience please assist me; My
car is staying in pieces until I figure this out.

Thanks!
Joshua

Hamilton Audio

gms are famous for ****ty/no grounds from the head unit. davids suggestions
are solid...esp the one about ground. is it doing this with the antenna
plugged in? generally decks find ground through the antenna too (not good,
but they do).

Hamilton Audio
Car Audio, Security & Performance