Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

Default Here we go again!

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"Keith G" wrote in message
What do you call an 'average CD player' anyway?

Average price, highest selling volumes, pick whatever you like that
roughly
fits.

As I expected - no real answer...

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default Note to Jenn

Keith G said:

**** is enraged.

Why don't you admit the truth, ****?

No wonder you're the ****.

Very quick response time, ****.

Wow George, what an amazingly limited "intelligence" you have.

Are you referring to my diagnosis of your true identity? I'll be the
first to admit that your ****tiness is as obvious as the turds on Krooger's
dinner plate.

It seems you can learn from crosspostings after all - I thought the 'T'
in 'Mr T' stood for * Tit *....

My first thought was to find a language in which the T stands for "garbage"
because **** is obviously packed to the gills with it. But then I realized
that a smug, ignorant, snotty Kroopologist is clearly a ****.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Keith G" wrote in message
So you disagree with that stupid statement then,

Yep.

where's YOUR proof,

See the works of Shannon, and the last 25 years of actual test
measurements.

No, I said *where's* you proof, not *what* is your proof....

or even a definition of what the hell he's on about?

Now that I can't give since I already said I have NO idea what the
**** he's
on about.

Still waiting for YOUR definition?

No onus of proof on me - I didn't say I agreed with the statements. You
did....

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
As expected - no real answer...

So I see.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"George M. Middius" cmndr _ george @ comcast . net wrote in message

Keith G said:

**** is enraged.

Why don't you admit the truth, ****?

No wonder you're the ****.

Very quick response time, ****.

Wow George, what an amazingly limited "intelligence" you have.

Are you referring to my diagnosis of your true identity? I'll be
the
first to admit that your ****tiness is as obvious as the turds on
Krooger's
dinner plate.

It seems you can learn from crosspostings after all - I thought the
'T'
in 'Mr T' stood for * Tit *....

My first thought was to find a language in which the T stands for
"garbage"
because **** is obviously packed to the gills with it. But then I
realized
that a smug, ignorant, snotty Kroopologist is clearly a ****.

T is a handy abbreviation - Tit, ****, Tosser, Twerp, Twonk, Thicko all
spring immediately to mind, but mostly when I see 'Mr T' I think of the
old joke:

Q: What's got 8 legs and a big, black hairy ****?

A: The A Team....

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"Keith G" wrote in message
As expected - no real answer...

So I see.

MrT.

No, I seriously doubt you do....

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"Keith G" wrote in message
What that tells me is that vinyl is likely to be around for quite a
while yet, irrespective of what *percentage* it may or may not represent
of anything - what does it tell you....??

It tells me that people are now paying prices high enough that a few
manufacturers can satisfy a small volume market.
How long that will last is anybody's guess.

I suspect that a goodly portion of that market are buying their "last"
turntable.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
The greeks were a diverse lot. Just because some greek someplace thought
that the earth circulated around the sun didn't keep others from
believing
that Icaraus flew so close to the sun that the feathers on his arms
melted
off.

True, but most knew the difference between science and mythology.
I'm sure you do too.

Science and religion started out being almost completely blended
together.
Early technology was practiced by many as a kind of religious rite. Most
universities were run by the Church. Government, Science and Religon were
blended together.

Yes, and not necessarily for the better. Anything that contradicted the
current wisdom was considered heresy.

Agreed - why the founders of the US settled on religious freedom and
separation of church and state.

And for much of that, priests promoted themselves as the
"scientific establishment", and holders of all wisdom.

That was simply how things were. During the dark ages the churches were
the
places where ancient scientific wisdom was preserved and practiced.

In fact the dark ages was all about them NOT wanting any alternate wisdom
be preserved.

The dark ages were about european culture being forced into dire subsistance
mode by a number of natural and man-made disasters. There was the mini ice
age, and there were plagues due to poorly-designed water supplies,
transportation and housing. There was pressure from the Moslems. Politics
was dominated by people who didn't really know what they were doing
organizationally, and wrapped themselves up in religious rhetoric to cover
the slack.

TV faith healers are an aberration, not the mainstream of people of
faith.

Agreed, just like vinylista's are not the mainstream of music listeners
:-)

We're clearly on the same page here! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news

It would be a different world if journalists who pretend to be technical
experts by dispensing technical advice had useful amounts of basic audio
engineering training.

They'd just go over the heads of their target audience then, and be
replaced
with someone who didn't.

It is true that cross-cultural writing is not easy.

Most people do not wish to learn unfortunately, they only want their
biases
reinforced.

Well, they want to be uplifted by being told that everything is OK.

Haven't you noticed the same thing happens on Usenet?

Yup. Ditto for the web.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Keith G" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote

I have no interest in ruling any newsgroup. I just like to tell the
truth in the face of lies and distortions like the OP in this thread:

http://krakow.msnbc.msn.com:80/archi...29/338888.aspx

"There's a good reason for this. In addition to what people remember
as the
bad things that LPs provide (scratches, clicks and pops) vinyl discs
have
lots of good things going for them. LPs contain close to 100-percent
of the
uncompressed music information as originally recorded. CDs contain
only
about half of that recorded information. And compressed music files
are
left with only a small percentage of the information that's on a CD."

Lies and distortions? Where's your proof?

So you agree with that stupid statement then, where's YOUR proof, or even
definition of what the hell he's on about?

So you disagree with that stupid statement then,

Yup.

where's YOUR proof, or even a definition of what the hell he's on about?

Been there done that, very many times.

Too bad Keith that its against your religion to open a text book about audio
and actually try to understand it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message
So you disagree with that stupid statement then,

Yep.

where's YOUR proof,

See the works of Shannon, and the last 25 years of actual test
measurements.

No, I said *where's* you proof, not *what* is your proof....

"The works of Shannon" is a "where".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Adam Stouffer" wrote in message

I'll listen to Edison wax cylinders if I feel like it and theres not a
damn thing you can do about it.

You're badly deluded if you think that I want you to not listen to Edison
wax cylinders.

In fact, I've done so myself - I had an uncle that collected them, and other
forms of legacy music players and media. It is one of those things that
people should do at least once.

Obviously not the most enjoyable way to listen to music!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

[...]

wisdom to
be preserved.

The dark ages were about european culture being forced into dire
subsistance mode by a number of natural and man-made disasters. There
was the mini ice age, and there were plagues due to poorly-designed
water supplies, transportation and housing. There was pressure from
the Moslems. Politics was dominated by people who didn't really know
what they were doing organizationally, and wrapped themselves up in
religious rhetoric to cover the slack.

TV faith healers are an aberration, not the mainstream of people of
faith.

Agreed, just like vinylista's are not the mainstream of music
listeners :-)

We're clearly on the same page here! ;-)

You *sure* are...

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
So you disagree with that stupid statement then,

Yep.

where's YOUR proof,

See the works of Shannon, and the last 25 years of actual test
measurements.

No, I said *where's* you proof, not *what* is your proof....

"The works of Shannon" is a "where".

No, a 'where' is a link in my book - check my posts, I do the groundwork
for you...

Want to see the new valve mic I bought today?

It's on eBay....

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
[...]

**** that. It's against my religion to open *any* book....

:-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message

[...]

It is called being mainstream and thinking rationality. You ought to try
them some time, Keith!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
[...]

Never mind all that - let me cheer you up:

I needed to buy a leaf blower/vac and went down to the local B&Q (big UK
DIY chain) just now. (Wednesdays is 10% Off Day for over 60s.) I asked
the little pixie on the service desk 'Can I get an Old Fart's Discount
Card right now and use it straight away?' 'Oh yes!' she replied, without
batting an eyelid!!

??

(No mention of 'But you look *too young*?' or anything...!!)

Bitch....

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message

[...]

I think I'm more *downstream* than 'mainstream'....

:-P

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message
[...]

In the US the comparable document might be an AARP card. I think they give
them out to people as young as 55.

BTW, some of us old farts still try to keep up. Of course that's contingent
on ever having been caught up!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
ti.fi...

"Keith G" wrote in message

"Iain Churches" wrote

Now this has really got the little grey cells working. I shall make a
phone call or two tomorrow to see if I can get some Chinkies on
sale or return.

Look forward to hearing summat from them!

If I lived where you do I'd hop on a boat and check these people out:

http://violet-design.ee/

Find this link:

http://www.osxrecording.com/mp3/dylan.mp3

...on this page:

http://www.osxrecording.com/Reviews-...ent-id-26.html

"I wasn't trying to do a Dylan imitation here, but I do love playing and
singing this one, and have been doing it since I was a kid. I just kind
of
sound this way."

(*Not* ****e..!! :-)

And...??

:-)

Sorry. Reply coming up soon:-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
[...]

You'd never catch me on my 'bike....!!

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

Default Here we go again! (Do we not?)

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
ti.fi...

"Keith G" wrote

And...??

:-)

Sorry. Reply coming up soon:-)

OK, I wait with baited breath!! :-)

Me? I've gorn and dun it agin - bought another *novelty* Chinese cheepie
valve mic (a 'Hitler Bottle' modern knock off) and have been notified
that it is already on its way...

.....from the sodding US!!

(Sorry Yanks - forgot the crossposting for a moment! :-)

Says 'item location Edinburgh, UK' in the auction and the 'direct from
the US' bit is in very small print at the bottom of the auction! - I
guess I can't too much argue though - it's at 50% of normal UK prices!!
(No surprise there....)

Ho hum!!

:-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message
[...]

My bike is faster than your bike if both bikes are out of gas. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message
[...]

At nearly a quarter of a ton, when my bike's out of gas it's going
*nowhere* and all it wants to do is lay down!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message

You'd never catch me on my 'bike....!!

My bike is faster than your bike if both bikes are out of gas. ;-)

At nearly a quarter of a ton, when my bike's out of gas it's going
*nowhere* and all it wants to do is lay down!!

Exactly. My bike weighs about 25 pounds and gets infinite miles per gallon
of petrol.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
ti.fi...

"Keith G" wrote

And...??

:-)

Sorry. Reply coming up soon:-)

OK, I wait with baited breath!! :-)

Me? I've gorn and dun it agin - bought another *novelty* Chinese cheepie
valve mic (a 'Hitler Bottle' modern knock off) and have been notified that
it is already on its way...

....from the sodding US!!

(Sorry Yanks - forgot the crossposting for a moment! :-)

Says 'item location Edinburgh, UK' in the auction and the 'direct from the
US' bit is in very small print at the bottom of the auction! - I guess I
can't too much argue though - it's at 50% of normal UK prices!! (No
surprise there....)

Ho hum!!

:-)

Unless it slips through at customs, you will still have to pay
import duty and also VAT, which are calculated on the total
price including the shipping.

All the same it will still probably be cheaper.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 6 Sep, 03:46, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Keith G" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Keith G" wrote in message
. ..
You'd never catch me on my 'bike....!!
My bike is faster than your bike if both bikes are out of gas. ;-)

At nearly a quarter of a ton, when my bike's out of gas it's going
*nowhere* and all it wants to do is lay down!!

Exactly. My bike weighs about 25 pounds and gets infinite miles per gallon
of petrol.

but it doesn't have any of your signature ashtrays.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Keith G" wrote in message

[...]

The seller says 'Import Duty' has never happened on these mics yet..!!??

And has also said it'll be a week now, as they have had a 'rush' on them
and stocks are out!

Ho hum 2...!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message

You'd never catch me on my 'bike....!!

My bike is faster than your bike if both bikes are out of gas. ;-)

At nearly a quarter of a ton, when my bike's out of gas it's going
*nowhere* and all it wants to do is lay down!!

Exactly. My bike weighs about 25 pounds and gets infinite miles per
gallon of petrol.

But how many miles to the 'burger?

There are no *free rides* - all bikes need feeding with energy to make
them move...

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message

You'd never catch me on my 'bike....!!

My bike is faster than your bike if both bikes are out of gas. ;-)

At nearly a quarter of a ton, when my bike's out of gas it's going
*nowhere* and all it wants to do is lay down!!

Exactly. My bike weighs about 25 pounds and gets infinite miles per
gallon of petrol.

But how many miles to the 'burger?

Quite a few dozen, since I rarely eat burgers.

There are no *free rides* - all bikes need feeding with energy to make
them move...

Yes, but getting the bike's weight down to a couple of dozen pounds works
wonders as compared to those that way between a quarter and a half a ton.
;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 6 Sep, 14:38, "Keith G" wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

. ..

.. .

"Keith G" wrote in message

You'd never catch me on my 'bike....!!

My bike is faster than your bike if both bikes are out of gas. ;-)

At nearly a quarter of a ton, when my bike's out of gas it's going
*nowhere* and all it wants to do is lay down!!

Exactly. My bike weighs about 25 pounds and gets infinite miles per
gallon of petrol.

But how many miles to the 'burger?

There are no *free rides* - all bikes need feeding with energy to make
them move...

ever hear of a fececycle?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

Default Here we go again! (Redux)

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Therefore, by the most pro-LP-biased of technical evaluations, the
music information leader is as always the CD format, and by a factor
of at least 10. This means that if the LP format had far more
bandwidth than the CD format (which as a practical matter it does not)
the LP format would need to have 10 times more bandwidth than the CD
format to break even.

It would be a different world if journalists who pretend to be
technical experts by dispensing technical advice had useful amounts of
basic audio engineering training.

Here ya go Arny - have these on me:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/Violin%20A.mp3

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/Violin%20B.mp3

The relatively poor transcription from the 'Supraphonic' vinyl (Violin
A) compared with the CD (Violin B) should make your case for you.

(Less so heard over speakers than via 'phones - which will reveal far
too much of the noise coming from a poorly-sited turntable and the
'spitch' from the *first playing* of a newly-acquired, freshly-cleaned
'eBay' LP....)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

"Keith G" wrote in message

Here ya go Arny - have these on me:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/Violin%20A.mp3

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/Violin%20B.mp3

The relatively poor transcription from the 'Supraphonic' vinyl (Violin A)
compared with the CD (Violin B) should make your case for you.

What case?

Two different recordings of two different performances of two different
musical selections that (News Flash!) sound different.

Here, let me fire up my parametric equalizer and make the tonal balance of
the second more like the first... ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Keith G" wrote in message

Here ya go Arny - have these on me:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/Violin%20A.mp3

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/show/Violin%20B.mp3

The relatively poor transcription from the 'Supraphonic' vinyl
(Violin A) compared with the CD (Violin B) should make your case for
you.

What case?

Your signature 'all vinyl is crap' case, wot else?

Two different recordings of two different performances of two
different musical selections that (News Flash!) sound different.

Here, let me fire up my parametric equalizer and make the tonal
balance of the second more like the first... ;-)

No thanks - we've got enough 'analogue-sounding' CDs (and CDPs) kicking
about as it is....

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bman Bman is offline

Okay, all I can read here is "technical experts" and "technical
advice" and then someone offering to prove a point by offering MP3
comparison files. WTF?

Technically, none of your arguing makes any sense at this point. MP3
is NOT acceptable as a comparison tool.... ever.

Just thought I'd clear it up in case anybody else lurking wants to
weed the wheat from the chaff.

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 11:45:01 +0100, "Keith G"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Bman" wrote in message
MP3 is NOT acceptable as a comparison tool.... ever.

True, but a good 320kbs MP3 can still provide more information than vinyl on
it's best day.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Bman wrote:
Okay, all I can read here is "technical experts" and "technical
advice" and then someone offering to prove a point by offering MP3
comparison files. WTF?

Technically, none of your arguing makes any sense at this point. MP3
is NOT acceptable as a comparison tool.... ever.

Well, that presumes you can always tell an mp3 from the .wav it was
made from. Whihc isn't something you should presume.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Iain Churches wrote:

Just listen to one of Arny's "recordings", and you will understand
why his opinion on recording quality differs from that held by the
many of the rest of us:-)))

Do tell.

Graham

Ask him for a link.