Alex Moore

Default Turntable Question: Should I purchase a new one?

Hi All: I have a fairly cheapo Sony TT (model PS-LX300H) & just
purchased a new Shure M97xe cartridge (paid $75.00 for the Shure) Now,
I know many, many people don't care for Shure phono cartridges, but I
must admit it's a HUGE step up from the crap cartridge that was
installed with the TT.

I don't listen to vinyl all that much, maybe 2-3 times a month. Do you
think I should score a decent TT? Here's a few that I've been looking
at.

Goldring GR-1 (supplied w/ the Goldring Electra) $378.00

NAD 533 (supplied w/ the Goldring Electra) $399.00

Music Hall MMF 2.1 (supplied w/ the Goldring Elan) $289.00

Music Hall MMF5 (supplies w/ the Goldring 1012) $525.00

I like the specs & cartridge on the MMF5, but I didn't really want to
spend $525.00 on a TT. Or should I just keep the Sony TT. Do you
really think I'll hear a "difference"?

Any & all insight would be appreciated!
Bob Marcus

Alex Moore wrote:

[...]

Yes, you'll hear a difference. Whether that difference matters to you
depends on how your old TT is behaving, your preferences as to cartridge
sound, and how well your current cartridge is installed. A
new-from-the-factory TT is more likely to meet speed accuracy specs, and the
cartridge installation is probably reasonably good (though it never hurts to
check). I suspect that, as an infrequent vinyl listener, you're not up on
the intricacies of cartridge installation, so if you installed it yourself
that might affect the sound you're hearing now. Another factor is the
isolation of the Sony.

Among the choices you list, I purchased the NAD some years ago. It's a
cheaper knock-off of the highly regarded Rega Planar 2. (The Goldring
appears to be a knock-off of the same table.) The only problem I ever had
with it was that the tonearm drop mechanism was over-lubricated, and the
tonearm never quite made it all the way down. Removing some of the lubricant
(doable if you're not afraid to take your components apart) largely solved
the problem, although it continued to stick occasionally when the table
hadn't been used for a while.

bob

http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/
Alex Moore

[...]

Bob: Many thanks for your reply. Well, I went ahead & ordered the
Goldring GR-1 TT. It's funny, I have mostly all NAD product (i.e. C370
& C270 plus a NAD C540 CD player) Great product for the coin. My local
NAD dealer doesn't carry the 533 any loner & would need to order it
(2-3 weeks) So, I just pulled the trigger on the GR-1.

I bought the Goldring from Music Direct for $379.00 (freight included)
also he threw in for free a Shure SF-2 stylus force guage. Also, I
bought some type of phono stylus aglignment tool. I guess I have to
learn sometime!

Yes, youre right. The Goldring is a "knock-off" of the Rega P2 (OEM
RB250 Tonearm) but it's not made in the Czech Republic. It's made in
England. It has gotten some decent reviews, so I feel pretty good
about the purchase.

Looks like I'll be hitting those local yard sales & looking @ my local
music shop for vinyl. It's a lot of fun playing vinyl & I'm enjoy the
warm sound.

Again, many thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Alex

Uptown Audio

The Rega P2 is without question, the most well respected table for
it's cost. The NAD 533 is a very similar table and only differs in
that it is assembled with parts made for and tested by NAD rather than
Rega. Rega reserves it's best components for use on it's own tables,
bearing their name. Either would be a huge leap forward in quality.
Sadly, I feel that the cartridge that you have purchased was a huge
waste. If only you had poked your head into a Rega dealer's shop, you
might have saved that step and went straight with a P2 and Bias
set-up. We installed a Rega Bias cartridge on a customers supplied,
vintage, Rega turntable with his comment being "That is the best
$95.00 cartridge that I have ever heard!". He is a musician. We are
proud Rega dealers. - Visit your local Rega dealer for the same
wonderful experiences shared by Rega owners worldwide.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Alex Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Norman Schwartz

"Alex Moore" wrote in message
Hi All: I have a fairly cheapo Sony TT (model PS-LX300H) & just
purchased a new Shure M97xe cartridge (paid $75.00 for the Shure) Now,
I know many, many people don't care for Shure phono cartridges, but I
must admit it's a HUGE step up from the crap cartridge that was
installed with the TT.

I don't listen to vinyl all that much, maybe 2-3 times a month. Do you
think I should score a decent TT? I like the specs & cartridge on the

MMF5, but I didn't really want to
spend $525.00 on a TT. Or should I just keep the Sony TT. Do you
really think I'll hear a "difference"?

You will hear a huge difference and then you might end up listening to vinyl
more than 2-3X month. Should you ever wish to transfer your vinyl to CD-R,
you will want to use a better LP playback system.

Uptown Audio wrote in message ...
The Rega P2 is without question, the most well respected table for
it's cost.

That is true, it is such a popular table that saying anything bad
about it can mark one a heretic in the religion of HiFi audio. But
I've always felt the Rega P2 was overrated. The Rega Planet CD Player
was another piece of equipment that was just as overrated yet very
popular. I even had one for a while and when I got tired of the
signature "Rega Planet" sound, its popularity enabled me to sell it on
eBay for a great price.

Not that there's anything "wrong" with either product -- only that
there are alternatives worth listening to. The Rega P2 turntables I
heard had a tight, brassy almost tinny sound compared to other
turntables of comparable price. The Thorens TD-318 Mk II for example
had better bass and a more open, natural sound.

All subjective of course - my opinion based on subjective listening
with no measurements taken. You may hear the P2 and fall in love with
it. You certainly wouldn't be the first to do that.
Michael Scarpitti

wrote in message ...
(Alex Moore) wrote in message ...
I don't listen to vinyl all that much, maybe 2-3 times a month. Do you
think I should score a decent TT? Here's a few that I've been looking
at.

Goldring GR-1 (supplied w/ the Goldring Electra) $378.00

NAD 533 (supplied w/ the Goldring Electra) $399.00

Music Hall MMF 2.1 (supplied w/ the Goldring Elan) $289.00

Music Hall MMF5 (supplies w/ the Goldring 1012) $525.00

I like the specs & cartridge on the MMF5, but I didn't really want to
spend $525.00 on a TT. Or should I just keep the Sony TT. Do you
really think I'll hear a "difference"?

You will definitely hear a difference. Most likely you will
subjectively deem it a big "improvement" in sound. But an improvement
big enough to justify the cost? That is what you have to decide.

Since good turntables last for decades, I would recommend getting a
used one from eBay. Right now there's a Thorens TD-318 on eBay for $57
and the auction goes for a few more days. This is an excellent
turntable. Solid wood deck, adjustable suspension, 17+ lb. platter,
and a decent arm. When new, this model sold for $600 or more without a
cartridge. I know because I have one myself. It's over 10 years old
and still works like new.

[No, it's not my auction nor do I know the guy selling it. Just
checked as a courtesy and saw it there.]

Thorens TD-125 MkII tables are very good, too. I used to own one.