Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

Default Line out level

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" writes:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Yes, several :-)

If you refer to 0.775v as nominal 0dB, consumer -10 is 0.31v,
professional +10 is 1.228v. Both are referred to as "Line Level".
But then there's plenty of consumer equipment that send well over a
volt from a port labeled "Line Out".

CD players are particularly notorious for hot output. Maybe this has
something to do with the perceived harshness of early digital players
- they were just overloading the input. As audiophiles (as opposed to
audio engineers) don't seem to believe in metering and level matching
between equipment, the couldn't do much about it except complain :-)

And you thought you were going to get a straight answer :-)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

"Todd H." wrote in message
"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" writes:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ |
http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband

That depends on what you mean by "Line Out" level.

US practice is for nominal line level to be +4dBu, with signal peaks of up
to +20dBu, typically +24dBu. Line Level monitoring is commonly by VU
meter.
UK practice is for nominal line level to be 0dBu, with signal peaks to
+8dBu, with maximum headroom available to +20dBu. Line Level monitoring is
commonly done with PPMs.
European practice if for nominal line level being +6dBu, with signal peaks
to +14dBu, or +16dBu depending on which country. Maximum headroom again
exceeds +20dBu. Line Level Monitoring is commonly done with PPMs.

Note also, that in Europe, digital sources are normally set so that 0dBFS
digital produces +18dBu analogue. In the USA, 0dBFS digital normally
produces +24dBu analogue.

If you are referring to consumer equipment, then it's anybody's guess. The 1
volt level mentioned by Todd is as good as any. CD players have standardised
on 2 volt for 0dBFS. This used to mean that CDs would give out typically
around 1 volt, but as CD producers now always peak at 0dBFS, (and often clip
heavily to make the CD sound louder) CD players now will give out the full 2
volt.

Standards are great, that's why we have so many of them......

S.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

Yes, several :-)

If you refer to 0.775v as nominal 0dB, consumer -10 is 0.31v,
professional +10 is 1.228v. Both are referred to as "Line Level".
But then there's plenty of consumer equipment that send well over a
volt from a port labeled "Line Out".

CD players are particularly notorious for hot output. Maybe this has
something to do with the perceived harshness of early digital players
- they were just overloading the input. As audiophiles (as opposed to
audio engineers) don't seem to believe in metering and level matching
between equipment, the couldn't do much about it except complain :-)

My recollection is that in the pre-CD days, most manufacturers used 1
volt peak-to-peak as the line-level 0 dB standard. When CD came
along, the de facto standard was bumped up by 6 dB to 2 volts
peak-to-peak... presumably to keep the average signal level further
above the analog noise-floor voltage.

I've encountered some older (pre-1990) amps and preamps which clip
rather nastily at input voltages between 1 and 2 volts P-P - these
seem to have been designed for the older standard and without adequate
voltage headroom. Feeding such a device from a CD player will sound
very, very bad, unless one installs a passive attenuator or can
persuade the CD player to reduce its output voltage somehow.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
[...]

Do you really mean "peak to peak" or do you mean "peak signal"? I have never
seen audio levels rated as pp except when referring to circuit-design
issues. Peak signal still uses rms values, but refers to the maximum the
signal should be under normal circumstances. For example, UK practice is for
signal to peak to +8dBu.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 5 Mar, 19:04, (Dave Platt) wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you all for the info.
My only comment is "****!"
Looks like I am going to have to desgn a bit of circuitry.

Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 5 Mar 2007 11:33:50 -0800, "Dirk Bruere at NeoPax"
wrote:

Thanks to you all for the info.
My only comment is "****!"
Looks like I am going to have to desgn a bit of circuitry.

But maybe only a simple passive attenuator.

What are you trying to do?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Todd H." wrote:

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" writes:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Define 'line level' in your application.

In pro-audio it's +4dBu or 1.23V. The term gets widely abused these days though.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:

"Todd H." wrote
"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" writes:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

That depends on what you mean by "Line Out" level.

US practice is for nominal line level to be +4dBu, with signal peaks of up
to +20dBu, typically +24dBu. Line Level monitoring is commonly by VU
meter.

Which is why US TV and radio is always distorted to buggery !

UK practice is for nominal line level to be 0dBu, with signal peaks to
+8dBu, with maximum headroom available to +20dBu. Line Level monitoring is
commonly done with PPMs.

That's purely BBC practice for broadcasting.

Commercial audio is the same the world over.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:

For example, UK practice is for signal to peak to +8dBu.

BBC practice.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:20:10 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Yes, several :-)

If you refer to 0.775v as nominal 0dB, consumer -10 is 0.31v,
professional +10 is 1.228v.

+4 !

Indeed. I'm surprised only one person spotted my misprint :-0)
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Serge Auckland wrote:

For example, UK practice is for signal to peak to +8dBu.

BBC practice.

Graham

Which is used by all other UK broadcasters.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Define 'line level' in your application.

In pro-audio it's +4dBu or 1.23V. The term gets widely abused these days
though.

Graham

+4dBu or 0VU is the US standard level. In Europe, standard levels vary. It
may well be that a lot of non-broadcast pro-audio equipment has nominally +4
levels if its design is US influenced, but European pro gear is often +6dBu
based whilst UK levels are more +8dBu based.

S.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Thanks to you all for the info.
My only comment is "****!"
Looks like I am going to have to desgn a bit of circuitry.

But maybe only a simple passive attenuator.

What are you trying to do?

Boost a signal!

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK's only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

Laurence Payne wrote:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Yes, several :-)

If you refer to 0.775v as nominal 0dB, consumer -10 is 0.31v,
professional +10 is 1.228v.

+4 !

That's about the difference I need to bridge at a guess.
But I need it adjustable in case I come across different 'standards'.

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK's only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Define 'line level' in your application.

In pro-audio it's +4dBu or 1.23V. The term gets widely abused these days
though.

+4dBu or 0VU is the US standard level. In Europe, standard levels vary.

Only in your mind.

Broadcast practice is the exception not the norm. Very little equipment is made
for broadcast these days any more.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message
"Todd H." wrote:
Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

According to Todd, it's right there in the header! :-)

I still remember when consumer levels of 0.775V were common, these days the
CD "standard" is 2V.
But unlike the first, the second is the peak level.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
If you refer to 0.775v as nominal 0dB, consumer -10 is 0.31v,
professional +10 is 1.228v. Both are referred to as "Line Level".
But then there's plenty of consumer equipment that send well over a
volt from a port labeled "Line Out".

Of course, *many* amps will send a 2V CD input direct to the line outs.

CD players are particularly notorious for hot output. Maybe this has
something to do with the perceived harshness of early digital players
- they were just overloading the input.

It was deliberately chosen as being necessary to achieve the 96dB S/N figure
at the time.
CD's were NEVER supposed to have been compressed into the top 10dB of the
dynamic range.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home writes:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
"Todd H." wrote:
Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

According to Todd, it's right there in the header! :-)

Saved me from sayin it. :-)

Point was, there is no universally acceptedanswer, especially to the
question as stated. Something around 1V is what one tends to
anticipate from a line out, but if you're designing, you'd sure as
**** be prepared for a much wider range than that.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
"Todd H." wrote:
Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

According to Todd, it's right there in the header! :-)

I still remember when consumer levels of 0.775V were common,

Really ?

these days the CD "standard" is 2V. But unlike the first, the second is the
peak level.

Exactly.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Todd H." wrote:

"Mr.T" MrT@home writes:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
"Todd H." wrote:
Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

According to Todd, it's right there in the header! :-)

Saved me from sayin it. :-)

Point was, there is no universally acceptedanswer, especially to the
question as stated. Something around 1V is what one tends to
anticipate from a line out, but if you're designing, you'd sure as
**** be prepared for a much wider range than that.

I'd tend to expect anything from a hundred millivolts to a couple of volts myself.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Serge Auckland wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Define 'line level' in your application.

In pro-audio it's +4dBu or 1.23V. The term gets widely abused these
days
though.

+4dBu or 0VU is the US standard level. In Europe, standard levels vary.

Only in your mind.

Broadcast practice is the exception not the norm. Very little equipment is
made
for broadcast these days any more.

Ah, so that's why I only managed a 35 year career in Broadcast, lack of
equipment............

I suggest you do some proper research before making such foolish statements.
If very little equipment is made for broadcast any more, what are they
filling 100,000 sq metres of exhibition space at NAB with? or at IBC? It's
not all computers.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

Eeyore wrote:
"Todd H." wrote:

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" writes:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

According to everyone if you interpret "approx" as "within a couple of
db". (c:

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Walt" wrote in message
Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

According to everyone if you interpret "approx" as "within a couple of
db". (c:

That would rule out the common -10dBu then :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Walt" wrote

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

According to everyone if you interpret "approx" as "within a couple of
db". (c:

That would rule out the common -10dBu then :-)

You mean -10dBV ( -11.88dBu IIRC) of course !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

According to whom ?

According to everyone if you interpret "approx" as "within a couple of
db". (c:

That would rule out the common -10dBu then :-)

You mean -10dBV ( -11.88dBu IIRC) of course !

Yes, but at least that would be within a couple of dB :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Ask a simple question... :-}

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

Eeyore wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:

"Todd H." wrote
"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" writes:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

That depends on what you mean by "Line Out" level.

US practice is for nominal line level to be +4dBu, with signal peaks
of up to +20dBu, typically +24dBu. Line Level monitoring is
commonly by VU meter.

Which is why US TV and radio is always distorted to buggery !

i don't happen to agree with you Graham. US radio and TV is neither always
distorted nor can the majority of problems that exist be attributed to the
method of metering.

UK practice is for nominal line level to be 0dBu, with signal peaks
to +8dBu, with maximum headroom available to +20dBu. Line Level
monitoring is commonly done with PPMs.

That's purely BBC practice for broadcasting.

Commercial audio is the same the world over.

naw... audio is in different languages the world over grin.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

TimPerry wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
"Todd H." wrote
"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" writes:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

That depends on what you mean by "Line Out" level.

US practice is for nominal line level to be +4dBu, with signal peaks
of up to +20dBu, typically +24dBu. Line Level monitoring is
commonly by VU meter.

Which is why US TV and radio is always distorted to buggery !

i don't happen to agree with you Graham. US radio and TV is neither always
distorted nor can the majority of problems that exist be attributed to the
method of metering.

US TV audio I've heard is often distorted. It could easily be because VUs
respond so slowly to 'peaky' material.

This effect is very well known.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

Eeyore wrote:
TimPerry wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
"Todd H." wrote
"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" writes:

Is there a standard amplitude for line out audio ?

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS

That depends on what you mean by "Line Out" level.

US practice is for nominal line level to be +4dBu, with signal
peaks of up to +20dBu, typically +24dBu. Line Level monitoring is
commonly by VU meter.

Which is why US TV and radio is always distorted to buggery !

i don't happen to agree with you Graham. US radio and TV is neither
always distorted nor can the majority of problems that exist be
attributed to the method of metering.

US TV audio I've heard is often distorted. It could easily be because
VUs respond so slowly to 'peaky' material.

This effect is very well known.

Graham

the Dourough loudness monitor is widely used in US TV stations (and around
the world as far as i know).
it displays both avearge and peak readings.
http://www.dorrough.com/dorrough/

it is used to a lesser extent in radio due to its cost.

most modern broadcast quality equipment is designed with suficent headroom
that a device would have to be pretty severly overdriven to produce any
significant distortion.

the problem points which would lead to audible distortion are many ranging
from poor source material through multiple lossy compression algorithms to
ultra aggressive processing and composite clipping.

it is very important not to clip into a digital conversion device such as a
sound card or digital processor.

there is a saying in radio that TV people only notice audio when it isn't
there, however in today's market with the ever increasing popularity of home
theater and HDTV market pressure for crisp flawless audio and video is
increasing.

with HD radio the public expects CD quality audio to come out of their
speakers. it behoves the broadcaser who has just spent a small mountian of
greenbacks on hardware and lisnesing fees to ensure the public gets what it
expects.

i guess what i'm trying to say mainly is that when a radio or TV station is
distorted sounding and the problem is not that something has just gone bad
the most likely reason is not the meter itself but rather its the hand
that's holding the meter or the "suit" that has demanded that the engineer
make it be the loudest thing on the dial or be fired.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

TimPerry wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
TimPerry wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
"Todd H." wrote
[...]

So why does so much US material sound like it was processed by a buzz saw ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

TimPerry wrote:

i guess what i'm trying to say mainly is that when a radio or TV station is
distorted sounding and the problem is not that something has just gone bad
the most likely reason is not the meter itself but rather its the hand
that's holding the meter or the "suit" that has demanded that the engineer
make it be the loudest thing on the dial or be fired.

There are multi-band compressors that do that.

That's NOT what I'm talking about.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

"TimPerry" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:
TimPerry wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
"Todd H." wrote
[...]

About 10 years ago, I tried to introduce the Durrough meter to BBC
television. They wouldn't give it more than a polite but cursory glance, as
it wasn't the way they did things there.

[...]

In the UK, I have not noticed that TV is distorted, or especially loud,
except of course for the ads and promos that shout. However, radio *is*
often both loud and distorted, for exactly the reasons you point out.
Station managers actually *want* to sound the way they do, and pay very good
money to get that way. Radio listeners are falling away, and although that's
more a function of programme quality and changed listening habits, poor
sound quality can only help that further.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

the Dourough loudness monitor is widely used in US TV stations (and

around
the world as far as i know).
it displays both avearge and peak readings.
http://www.dorrough.com/dorrough/

So why does so much US material sound like it was processed by a buzz saw

?

Graham

i dont really know what you are talking about unless it some problem with
conversion to PAL.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
"Todd H." wrote:
Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS
According to whom ?

According to Todd, it's right there in the header! :-)

I still remember when consumer levels of 0.775V were common,

Really ?

these days the CD "standard" is 2V. But unlike the first, the second is the
peak level.

Exactly.

Really?
I just put a scope on an oldish CD player and found p-p values over 4V

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK's only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Mr.T" wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
"Todd H." wrote:

Nominally, line out is approx 1V RMS
According to whom ?
According to Todd, it's right there in the header! :-)

I still remember when consumer levels of 0.775V were common,

Really ?

these days the CD "standard" is 2V. But unlike the first, the second is the
peak level.

Exactly.

Really?
I just put a scope on an oldish CD player and found p-p values over 4V

You would do. There are 2 things here.

1.} The peak-to-peak value of a waveform is twice the peak value.

2.} When I said 'peak' above I meant the maximum rms value of a dynamic music
signal (as in PPM metering for example) This is what audio ppl normally mean by
the 'peak value' of a signal. You were referring to the mamimum instantaneous peak
value of a waveform (what electronic techs often mean).

Explanation. The maximum rms sinewave audio output of a CD player at digital FSD
(0dBd) is 2V rms.

2V rms = 2.8V peak = 5.6V pk-pk.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:15:31 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

2.} When I said 'peak' above I meant the maximum rms value of a dynamic music
signal (as in PPM metering for example) This is what audio ppl normally mean by
the 'peak value' of a signal. You were referring to the mamimum instantaneous peak
value of a waveform (what electronic techs often mean).

Surely in these digital days we ALL have to take notice of the actual
peak voltage - that's what is going to overload an ADC, not some
averaged-out level.

Need line level pad dh Tech 1 February 12th 06 07:08 AM
Line level sub out? SHRED Car Audio 2 February 18th 05 02:37 PM
I need a line level feed from a speaker level signal pigonthewing Car Audio 1 August 11th 04 09:00 AM
Converting +4 line to -10 line level... Richard Carlisle Pro Audio 7 August 24th 03 02:26 PM
imac low recording level from line level input [email protected] Pro Audio 0 July 25th 03 03:47 PM