paul packer

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:36:42 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message

Well, you do, anyway. My point was that it's impossible
not to be influenced by others.

Right, people like Middius write thousands of posts for RAO,
with absolutely zero expectation of influencing anybody.

Putting Middius aside, if that's possible, what it your reaction to
the proposition?

If you believe that...

There's a saying: "Any
conviction gains infinitely the moment another begins to
believe in it."

The infinitely part is obviously hyperbole, but large and
finite is more accurate and significant.

Too literal, Arnie. It's not a measurement of capacitance.

George claims a negative review wouldn't affect
his listening pleasure.

George makes many improbable claims, this is just one more.

I don't believe it, but I'd like to hear other input.

I don't know if I can influence you, Paul. ;-)

Here's your chance to find out. :-)
Arny Krueger

"paul packer" wrote in message

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:42:05 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message

Very good. But I wonder if you object as strongly to the
claims made by mini and micro systems manufacturers and
retailers that these systems are true hi-fi, sound
brilliant and will fulfil all your expectations about
sound reproduction forever.

These claims are probably relevant for certain people.

Certain people? Most people seeking a "hi-fi system"
who don't bother to acquaint themselves with what hi-fi
means. And that means nearly everybody.

OK, those claims are relevant for lots of people.

Surely if you're looking for
charlatans in the audio industry this where most of them
hang out.

I don't know if that is a slam dunk.

Explanation?

I don't think that it is necessarily true that people
selling $100, $200, $300 mini-systems are charlatans.

Personally I don't believe that expensive
cables make much if any difference,

Notice the hedge, apparently faith springs eternal.

I fear this says something important about you, Arnie.
Most people like to leave room for a doubt. Remember what
I said (or rather, Mr. Ustinov said) about the inability
to have a doubt?

Believe it or not Paul, you may not always find the best
information about technology in the popular media.

Its not about an inability to have a doubt about
*everything*, its about knowing what can and cannot be done.

Expensive cable *can't* make a difference because commodity
cables are already do such a complete job of meeting the
need. The essence of believing in the possible need for
expensive cable is ignorance about the goodness of comodity
cables.

but they do after all
appeal to the well heeled afficianado, not the first
time buyer unable to make an informed decision.

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but high
priced cables can be found in just about every audio
retail store in the US, including electronics stores and
appliance stores.

Are you suggesting that the average buyer of a mini
system is likely to purchase Monster cable to go with it?

Mini systems are generally self-contained. They are not
likely to purchase any cable to go with it. But, if you go
to Best Buy or Circuit City and pick up a receiver, a DVD
player, and some speakers you are likely to get a pitch for
upscale cables from Monster or a competitor.

What galls me
about the marketing of micros, midis & minis is that it
effectively syphons off all the potential customers for
real hi-fi

People who buy this stuff are looking for a packaged
solution. Where they fade out, HTIB systems pick up.

They're looking for a packaged solution because they've
been convinced the package will supply their need. This
is called marketing.

It may also be a reasonble offering.

(or at least it did, until HT began to do that even
more effectively).

Higher-end HT seems to be shaping up as being like a
better set of speakers for that shiney new HDTV.

HT is swallowing hi-fi whole.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys, but you're wrong.

HT + portable A/V + HTPC are swallowing hi-fi.

For example, I think there were at least three major HTPC or
HTPC-related exhibits (not hotel rooms but large exhibit
halls) at HE2005. Given the size of the market, it was
amazing to me how little portable A/V was in evidence. I can
only think of a small booth by Shure that was getting pretty
heavy traffic.

Few people care to have two
systems, one for HT and one for audio. Ergo, the HT has
to do for both. And in the minds of most punters, why
should it not?

I'm not sure they are punters.

You're way behind, Paul. Many people don't have any serious
HT at all. Instead, they put their time and money into
portable A/V. Some of the most serious HT advocates I know
are actually doing HTPC.

I wonder how many innocents have
listened to their first mini system plastered with the
word "Hi-Fi" and thought, "Well if that's hi-fi it's
waaaay overrated. I thought it was s'posed to sound like
a real band."

Probably not many at all. Who would be that naive?

Get into the real world, Arnie.

I suspect that the US is a little more mainstream than
Aussie-land.

As I said before, you've been slaving over that hot test
bench too long.

The fact is Paul, you simply don't know me. I don't even
have a audio-related test bench right now due to home
(re)construction. I spend most of my audio prime time doing
live sound and recording. About 8 hours a week. I do almost
all my listening with portable systems or a production
system.

My major project at this time has almost nothing to do with
audio test bench work. The little technical testing I do is
almost all in-situ and on-site, and in support of system
construction and reconstruction. My major project for the
last 3 years has been:

(1) Learn and provide live sound, both leadership of the
service team, and hands-on.

(2) Catch up with live recording technology and do it
weekly.

(3) Help revitalize the worship music program at my church
which implies revitalizing a 100 year old church in a 50
year old building. This will hopefully provide quality
acoustic input for (1) and (2).

(4) Dramatically modernize the acoustics and lighting
(architectural and theatrical) of the two largest
performance spaces in said church. The larger room has about
113,000 cubic feet. This is a major component of (3)

At the same time I've been supervising the refurbishment of
my 70-year old house - a project that is already way into
the six figures. About a year ago I demolished my test bench
to make way for the refurbishment project. It had become
pretty idle for several years due to the above-mentioned
activities.

George Middius

paul packer said to La Salope:

You are kindly credulous. I appreciate.

"Kindly credulous"? Interesting use of English.

Lewis Carroll may have anticipated Lionella's assaults on the language. But at
the last minute, his editor persuaded him to call the beast Jabberwocky instead
of Gibberwocky.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

What gets me is why you think I should give a **** what you think.

If you don't give a ****, stop responding to me.

That's on Arny's low level. You are not just his apologist, now
you are becoming more and more like him.

I prefer that to your choice of becoming more like Middius.

Thanks for admitting that you aspire to falsely accuse others
of sending you kiddie porn and/or you have storied kiddy porn on your
hard drive
for a number of years.

Thanks for demonstrating you will resort to the behavior you claim to
abhor from others.

I think the word falsely should be replaced with erroneously.

Wrong, it was a willful act of deception on Arny's part.
Even granting the assumption that someone
did send it to him, he accused at least
ten different people of being that person, without ANY evidence at all.
And it wasn't kiddie porn anyway, according to Arnir.
you would think he would know the difference
between waht a child and waht an adult looks like.
Obviously it was all a lie anyway,. His story is so full
of holes and contradictions. Maybe someday you will wake
up and see that.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

ink.net...

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

I have no problem with consumer magazines promoting commerce as
long as it is done in an ethical manner.

Giving ones' opinions is not unethical.

How about giving ones' opinion for money? Still ethical?
I think so.

How about giving ones' opinion for money that people should buy
something
for money? Still ethical?
I think so.

How about giving ones' opinion for money that people should buy
something
for money while taking advertising money from somethings maker?
Still ethical?
Ouch.... getting a little hairy. Conflicts of interest rearing their
heads.
I'd suggest a means of protecting oneself from improper influence.

A consumer magazine that sells advertising to equipment
manufacturers is the norm, for hobby magazines.

No problem, but endorsing snake oil is a problem.

How about giving ones' opinion that people should buy something
for money that doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of doing what
is claims to do and everyone with a lick of technical understanding
knows it while taking advertising money from somethings maker?
Crucify them, crucify them.

Deciding whether its something one would want to buy is something
best left to the the indiviual, rather than to
a self proclaimed nanny.

Revealing the efficacy of products is something people expect from hobby
mags. People have a reasonable expectation that reviews will be honest
and in line with the known science of the product and it's application.
When a hobby mag endorses something that can't possibly work, it's no
longer a help to the reader, it's a accomplice to fraud.

My main complaint, though, is not that the reviewer has opinions, but
that the reviewer
might have little concept of the value of money.

Shoouldn't they have a concept of the value of the product and the
possibility of it actually working?

Sure they should have a concept of the relative value of the product.
That is part of what I have been saying.

Then why would something like CD stoplight make the RCL? It has no value
at all, in fact the whole green ink thing was the result of an April Fools
Day prank.

Well, I tried it on a number of cd's, and it made most of those
a little worse sounding.

Why would they ever endorse a product of any kind that is fraudulent on
its face, such as the Bedini Clarifier?

You don't see me buying one.

Or high price power cords?

nor that.

Or Mpingo disks?

nor that.

but to each his own.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

ink.net...

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

Get a grip, George - this is about cables, not buying
cables.

Stereophile is about buying cables, not cables.

It's the thousand monkey effect - after zillions of lying,
mindless posts, Art stumbles into cogency.

Duh, what else is is a consumer magazine for and about,
buying things related to the hobby. You seem to have
a problem with that.

No problem with discussing things related to the hobby, it's the
outright fraud that they promote, that's the problem.

Well, go out and buy some of that fraudulently recommended
equipment, and sue SP for damages for recommending it.
Do you have the balls?

They'd just claim ignorance.

So, you have no case.

I'm not being taken in by fraudulent claims, so I'm not a victim.
I also don't have the kind of resources one would need to fight and win
such a case.
It might be interesting to see if there's a firm that would consider a
pro bono case, perhaps a class action suit against Atkinson, et al.

Surely there must be such a law firm as Class Envy and Borg

If you think my disdain for SP and their delude believers has to with
class envy, you are most assuredly wrong. I just don't like trying to
decieve people. I think the best thing for audio magazines or any hobby
magazine is to maximize the enjoyment by giving recomendations that will
actually improve performance. If there were something besides
loudspeakers, room treatment and EQ that would likely improve the sound of
a system, I'd be all for it. The simple fact is there aren't.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone spending as much as they can afford on
whatever they want for whatever reason they want, but I do think they
ought to be getting the best possible advice before they make the
purchase.

Whatever advances that might be possible will most likely come from
somewhere other than the ultra expensive, small volume manufacturers,
since they don't have the resources for the research that would produce
such improvements.

When people flat out lie about the perfomance improvements that a peice of
equipment, it's my feeling that such information shoud be challenged. If
manufacturers want to chare high prices for gear they ought to expect
challenges. Aside from liking the way one peice of gear looks as opposed
to another, why would anyone want tos spend more monye than needed to
achieve the same performance. Do you think they'd sell more VW's of they
performed exactly the way Porsche does? Do you tink if someone made a car
that performed exactly the way a Porsce does that they'd likely sell
plenty?

It's not about envy, it's always been about the truth of the claims.

if not class envy, it is about hearing caability envy.
Sorry for your misfortune. "At least" it saves you a good bit of money.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:
" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

That you say that "no one has ever heard a difference.....81% is
within
probablitity",
that probability for it being chance is very small indeed. You are
claiming only
5% of the ground. Your knees must be wobbling.

My understanding is that there were 15 trials for that person, in
each
of
six runs, and that he had an 81% or 83% correct score (73 or 75
out of
90).
I don't know the confidence level of that result, but I would
think it
is in the
85 to 95% range, which indicates it is MUCH more likely that he
heard
a difference than that the result was by chance

But, I know that you won't except that.

u r kerect, i wont except that.

Even if the confidence level were
80%, it is four times more likely that the result indicates the
ability
discern a diference, than the result coming up by chance.

Note, wire is wire. If you want to challenge the idea, take up the
$5000.00 challenge being discussed on RAHE. So far the magic wire
people have let it sit for years, obviously their confidence level
is
somewhat lower than 95%.

The results of the six tests on the subject were
reportedly 15/15, 15/15, 15/15, 15/15, 12/15, and 10/15.
Scott W. accepted that as statistically significant.
Do you?

Yes, but I'd want to know more about the wire being compared, since
no one
is arguing that wire can't affect the sound, only that 2 different
wires
of simialr construction can't.

There are still people claiming that there is a problem with skin
effect
in audio cables, do you think they have a case?

High end wire is not of similar construction to mass market wire.

Aside from possible differences in durability, if they are audibly
identical, who cares?

"if" they are.
My experience in sighted evaluation is that there
are differences for some of them, but not substantial differences, and
the it is not cost effective for me to deal with it. I just buy
better sounding equipment, it makes a more substantial difference.
I fel the same way about most of what the borgs call tweak equipment
like poweer line conditioners, etc. But I reserve to others
to find for themselves what they will.

I've always said that the piece of equipment that
improves my sound the most is my record cleaner.

BOB MOREIN, where is your condemnation of Arts' posts and attacks on his
IQ? This post of his is full of errors. Aren't you going to tell him how
low his IQ is.

Its about content. Yours is woefully lacking

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
NYOB says: (Google message 12, Aug. 29)

"But naturally, there is not one single bias controlled
comparison of
cables
where anyone, ever, heard a difference between normal cables. In
short
wire
is wire."

But "naturally" he is unable to quote "one single bias
controlled'
(his cryptonim for ABX/DBT) comparison between anything and
anything
else in audio.

I've pointed you in the right direction. You can lead a man to
knowledge but you can't make him think.

Where are the reliable bias controlled comparisons that show some
other method is better or even as good?

He was challenged twice for a reference to a published
report (Author(s), title , year, Nr.,page). of an ABX testing,
where
the majority recognised the difference.. And he clammed up twiice
only
to reemerge after a suitable interval.

Not wanting to engage you in endless hairsplitting and denials is
my personal preference.
It's like trying to argue with a borna again Christian on the
non-existence of God. It's pointless. You will never admit that
ABX is the standard and that is relaible. You simply deny.

Mr. McKelvy where else outside the long-suffering usenet did your
"test" work?
Ludovic Mirabel
P.S. To prevent you from quoting phony references again here is
one
for you to digest: (L. Greenhill, Monster vs Radio Shack:same
gauge
cable, ABX/DBT comparison Stereo Review '83)
Three out of 15 panelists scored correctly well over 50% and one
had
81% positive result. Which proves that a few can surmount even
the ABX
obstacle race.
So much for "anyone,ever"

You don't really understand that 81% is not good enough and that
while it might be an interesting footnote it needs to repeated to
insure they weren't just lucky guesses.

You just said earlier "WHERE ANYONE EVER HEARD A DIFFERENCE"

No one has.

We just showed you, SOMEONE HAD. 90 trials, 81%

What you showed was that people can sometimes guess well.

The odds are much higher that the result was not guesswork than
that the results were guesswork.
Its so much fun watching you cling to your religious beliefs.

Wrong again, but thanks for admitting you're as desparate as Ludo.

The wire being compared was sufficiently different in construction that
differences would be expected.

Ok, So, high end wire can sound different. Thanks

It sounds different from 24 AWG wire, but not from wire OF SIMILAR
CONSTRUCTION AND GAUGE. I've said this repeatedly.

High price wire of 12, 14, or 16 AWG does not sound different than 12,14,
or 16 AWG that can be bought at Home Depot for a few cents per foot.

Most high prioce wire is so different from what you are talking about.

Arny Krueger

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

I think the word falsely should be replaced with
erroneously.

Wrong, it was a willful act of deception on Arny's part.

Delusions of omniscience and all that noted.

Even granting the assumption that someone
did send it to him, he accused at least
ten different people of being that person, without ANY
evidence at all.

There was plenty of evidence - the nature of the attack, the
past attacks of a similar nature that were tracable, the
technical skills it took to launch it, the people who tried
to cover it up. You're as dirty as anybody, Art.

And it wasn't kiddie porn anyway, according to Arnir.
you would think he would know the difference
between waht a child and what an adult looks like.

The legal definition of kiddie porn is quite exact. A person
changes from an illegal subject to a legal subject in one
day.

Obviously it was all a lie anyway, His story is so full
of holes and contradictions.

Not at all. Furthermore the attempts to show that I made the
story up had plenty of holes in them.

Two words: Jamie Benchimol.

Maybe someday you will wake up and see that.

Given all the Middius lies you've swallowed Art, if anybody
needs to wake up, its you. Remember, you've already
publicly accepted all of Middius' most reprehensible posts
including his pedophile fantasies, his forgeries and his
outright lies.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message

Well, you do, anyway. My point was that it's impossible
not to be influenced by others.

Right, people like Middius write thousands of posts for
RAO, with absolutely zero expectation of influencing
anybody.

Putting Middius aside, if that's possible,

Sigh, I was just turning his argument back at him.

what it your reaction to the proposition?

I agree that its impossible to not be influenced by others,
one way or the other, to a large degree or small degree.

Furthermore, I brought the issue of influences on listeners
up during the HE2005 debate, now about 4 months ago.

If you believe that...

There's a saying: "Any
conviction gains infinitely the moment another begins to
believe in it."

The infinitely part is obviously hyperbole, but large and
finite is more accurate and significant.

Too literal, Arnie. It's not a measurement of capacitance.

Any serious claim should be credible.

Arny Krueger

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

It's not about envy, it's always been about the truth of
the claims.

if not class envy,

Art, you're of a lower class than many of the people you
accuse of class envy. Why make yourself look bad by bringing
this issue up?

it is about hearing caability envy.

Art, you're of an age that puts your hearing abilities below
many of the people you accuse of class envy. Why make
yourself look bad by bringing this issue up?

Arny Krueger

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

Its about content. Yours is woefully lacking

If irony killed.

Arny Krueger

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

High price wire of 12, 14, or 16 AWG does not sound
different than 12,14, or 16 AWG that can be bought at
Home Depot for a few cents per foot.

Most high price wire is so different from what you are
talking about.

Nope. Since when have you been qualified to make technical
judgements about wire, Art?

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

ink.net...

"ScottW" wrote in message

[...]

You didn't answer the question.

Why would they ever endorse a product of any kind that is fraudulent on
its face, such as the Bedini Clarifier?

You don't see me buying one.

Not answering the question.

Or high price power cords?

nor that.

Or Mpingo disks?

nor that.

but to each his own.

Why would they recommend something that doesn't work?

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 06:40:56 GMT, "
wrote:

Sure about that? You mean if you just spent 10,000 on an amp and a
mag told you it was crap, and backed that conclusion up with figures,
and insisted that all the reviewers on the mag were in agreement that
it was total feces and sounded nothing like music...you mean that
wouldn't have the slightest effect on your post-purchase pleasure?

Thankfully, we don't have to worry about such an event becuase we already
know that the overwhelming majority of audio equipment sounds alike.

Well, you do, anyway. My point was that it's impossible not to be
influenced by others.

Sure it is, especially if you know they are wrong.

There's a saying: "Any conviction gains
infinitely the moment another begins to believe in it."

Those who beleive that there are gigantic differences in the sound of audio
equipment, probably, those who know what the blind comparsions have shown,
not so much.

You could also
say, "Every conviction is subject to doubt the moment someone
expresses a contrary opinion." George claims a negative review
wouldn't affect his listening pleasure. I don't believe it, but I'd
like to hear other input.

It wouldn't affect me either, and I suspect it's for the same reason. I
stopped caring about audio as a status symbol 25 years ago, when I learned
that most of what was being said about sonic differences was bull****.

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 06:59:11 GMT, "
wrote:

[...]

From what I know about them, ( I don't have any interest in them, so I don't
pay any attention) there are 2 classes:
1. I call drug store stereo, that just crap with even worse speakers.
2. Small but real hi-fi components that have limited power and very low end
speakers.
Take away the crap speakers and connect some good ones not driven to
clipping and
they can sound as good as any other hi-fi.

Surely if you're
looking for charlatans in the audio industry this where most of them
hang out. Personally I don't believe that expensive cables make much
if any difference, but they do after all appeal to the well heeled
afficianado, not the first time buyer unable to make an informed
decision. What galls me about the marketing of micros, midis & minis
is that it effectively syphons off all the potential customers for
real hi-fi (or at least it did, until HT began to do that even more
effectively). I wonder how many innocents have listened to their first
mini system plastered with the word "Hi-Fi" and thought, "Well if
that's hi-fi it's waaaay overrated. I thought it was s'posed to sound
like a real band."

Limitations on placement and price are IMO the main reason anybody buys this
kind of stuff.

Perhaps if you gave me some brands and models I could give you a better
answer.
I doubt that most people are gullible enough to beleive that boom boxes and
such will give them the same sound as a decent setup with good speakers.

"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

You just said earlier "WHERE ANYONE EVER HEARD A DIFFERENCE"

Come on Art... a perfectly random trial will have half the
participants
over 50%.
One coming in at 81% one time doesn't sound like its outside the
expected
distribution for random responses of 15 participants.

Bad work, you fiind one person who can hear, and fourteen
who can't, test them, then disregard the result of that one, for
the deficiencies of the other fourteen.

Back to school you ole fart. Enroll in probability 101

Look at it this way. Test the same guy 15 times.
He just might do very well one of those 15 times.
Was his hearing better that one time than all the others?

That is not the way to look at it.
That is one person, he is unique.
The question is whether he heard differences.

Exactly. And now Ludovic has clarified that there were repeat trials
and his 83% number is a composite from all the trials...not just one
trial.

In the end... he has indicated they did EXACTLY what I said was
necessary to provide proof. Although 10 responses per trial is a bit
low...being able to
respond accurately in repeat trials is definitely significant.
Being able to respond accurately in one trial is not.

Its really just a matter of binary probability.
Give someone enough tries and they will get a decent
percentage right. Most tests are done to 90%
or 95% confidence. That still means that 1 of 10
or 1 of 20 times the results will be a false positive.
So you can see 1 positive subject out of 15 subjects
could very well be due to chance.

sure, but chances are very substantial that one person heard differences
and
fourteen did not.

the initial 83% number was insufficient data to make that claim and I
still
can't access the original article.

Just cause differences are there, doesn't mean that everyone
has the capacity to recognize them.

Agreed.

chances are one out of fifty that any one person has at least a 132 IQ.

Yes... but a single IQ test of 10 questions won't guarantee you found
him.

chances are pretty good that at least one person in a group of fifty has
an IQ of 132.

Sure...and probably 3 in 50 will ace a 10 question IQ test. Now what?

but those are two different issues.

He must be tested again and the odds
of him succeeding again due to chance go to 1 in 100
or 1 in 400.
Now thats proof.

Not everyone is equal.

Never said they were.

If we knew the number of trials we could figure it out exactly but
reality is...
one positive trial doesn't prove anything, even one 100% correct.

It proves it for that one person.

Not true. We can actually expect one or even 2 persons to get
lucky in a group of 15 with a 90% confidence test. Its the odds.
Let him repeat the test. If he is truly gifted he should
be able to repeat. If not... then it was probably random chance or
luck.

even with one run of tests the odds are very substantial
that it was not chance.

Maybe for 100% correct or even 9 of 10. But for 8 of 10 the numbers
don't bear you out. In fact... in one test run... say 10 responses...
you have ~4.3% chance of getting 8 of 10 just due to chance. So with
15 subjects we would expect that 64% of the time (more than half) one
of the 15 is gonna get 8 right.
I'm sorry but you have less than 1 chance in 2 that the 1 person with
8 right (of 15 who were tested) is truly golden eared after a one run
of tests.

Heres a good tutorial.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/rpkp/experim...tatistics.html

By my math, I get 5.5% chance of getting at least 8 out of 10 right, and the
chance that at least one out of 15 will do that well is 57%

Norm Strong

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

Two more words: "Leon North", the self-appointed, self-proclaimed,
uncredentialed "internet expert".

Does anyone else find it just a wee bit odd that "Leon North" made his
*first ever* Usenet appearance by posting to RAO on September, 11, 2001?

wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message

Very good. But I wonder if you object as strongly to the
claims made by mini and micro systems manufacturers and
retailers that these systems are true hi-fi, sound
brilliant and will fulfil all your expectations about
sound reproduction forever.

These claims are probably relevant for certain people.

Certain people? Most people seeking a "hi-fi system" who don't
bother to acquaint themselves with what hi-fi means. And that means
nearly everybody.

I doubt that there are many people who don't understand that it means
faithful to the original. They might have some confusion about which is the
original, since there are many people who don't understand it means faithful
to the master, not to an actual event, which in many cases never happened.

Surely if you're looking for
charlatans in the audio industry this where most of them
hang out.

I don't know if that is a slam dunk.

Explanation?

Personally I don't believe that expensive
cables make much if any difference,

Notice the hedge, apparently faith springs eternal.

I fear this says something important about you, Arnie. Most people
like to leave room for a doubt. Remember what I said (or rather, Mr.
Ustinov said) about the inability to have a doubt?

There is no real doubt that cables of similar construction have no sonic
difference.

but they do after all
appeal to the well heeled afficianado, not the first time
buyer unable to make an informed decision.

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but high priced
cables can be found in just about every audio retail store
in the US, including electronics stores and appliance
stores.

Are you suggesting that the average buyer of a mini system is likely
to purchase Monster cable to go with it?

Depends on the salesman and if the customer believes that it would improve
the sound.

What galls me
about the marketing of micros, midis & minis is that it
effectively syphons off all the potential customers for
real hi-fi

People who buy this stuff are looking for a packaged
solution. Where they fade out, HTIB systems pick up.

They're looking for a packaged solution because they've been convinced
the package will supply their need. This is called marketing.

Most of the people who buy this sort of stuff are less concerned about
ultimate hi-fi, they want something that's better than what they have which
is usually nothing. If they care about quality sound they will upgrade to
better speakers.

(or at least it did, until HT began to do that even more
effectively).

Higher-end HT seems to be shaping up as being like a better
set of speakers for that shiney new HDTV.

HT is swallowing hi-fi whole.

Not IMO, it's keeping it alive and thriving. It will eventually lead to
better sounding, (more realistic presentation) stereo.

Few people care to have two systems, one
for HT and one for audio. Ergo, the HT has to do for both. And in the
minds of most punters, why should it not?

Indeed why not? You shut off the speakers that aren't needed and you have a
hi-fi that's as good as the speakers connected.

I wonder how many innocents have
listened to their first mini system plastered with the
word "Hi-Fi" and thought, "Well if that's hi-fi it's
waaaay overrated. I thought it was s'posed to sound like
a real band."

Probably not many at all. Who would be that naive?

Get into the real world, Arnie. As I said before, you've been slaving
over that hot test bench too long.

I think you underestimate your fellow humans.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

Yes, he was Jamie's right hand boy.

Does anyone else find it just a wee bit odd that "Leon
North" made his *first ever* Usenet appearance by posting
to RAO on September, 11, 2001?

Very odd, if he was truely an internet expert.

His tone suggested that he had origins similar to that of
who, Fear3000?

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:
" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

ink.net...

" wrote in message
[...]

Bul****, his most recent posts have nothing to with content, he's become
Middius without the charisma, just pointing out spelling errors. If I had
made the post you made, he would have commented on the errors. And speaking
of lacking in content, what are most of your posts?

Arny Krueger

" wrote in
message
nk.net
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in
message

BOB MOREIN, where is your condemnation of Arts' posts
and attacks on his IQ? This post of his is full of
errors. Aren't you going to tell him how low his IQ is.

It's where Bob's ethics are - where the sun shines not.

Its about content. Yours is woefully lacking

Bul****, his most recent posts have nothing to with
content, he's become Middius without the charisma, just
pointing out spelling errors.

When you're talking less charisma than Middius, you're
really scraping the bottom. But you're right.

If I had made the post you
made, he would have commented on the errors.

Yeah, but Art's posts pour healing oil on Bob's vendetta
against me.

And speaking of lacking in content, what are most of your
posts?

Let's not go there. Opps, we're there already.

Art is getting older and some people become more childish
when they are older. I remember Art' posts from years ago,
and he used to be able to at least suggest the appearance of
content.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:17:18 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in message
link.net...

Then why would something like CD stoplight make the RCL? It has no value
at all, in fact the whole green ink thing was the result of an April Fools
Day prank.

Well, I tried it on a number of cd's, and it made most of those
a little worse sounding.

Bull**** - you always had an overly vivid imagination, sad Sack.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:18:57 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in message
link.net...

When people flat out lie about the perfomance improvements that a peice of
equipment, it's my feeling that such information shoud be challenged. If
manufacturers want to chare high prices for gear they ought to expect
challenges. Aside from liking the way one peice of gear looks as opposed
to another, why would anyone want tos spend more monye than needed to
achieve the same performance. Do you think they'd sell more VW's of they
performed exactly the way Porsche does? Do you tink if someone made a car
that performed exactly the way a Porsce does that they'd likely sell
plenty?

They do - the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne are the *same* car.

It's not about envy, it's always been about the truth of the claims.

if not class envy, it is about hearing caability envy.
Sorry for your misfortune. "At least" it saves you a good bit of money.

And your imagination costs you money. Why is it always the clowns like
you who claim to have Golden Ears - but cry foul if asked to *prove*
their hearing capability?

Arny Krueger

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:17:18 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in
message
ink.net...

Then why would something like CD stoplight make the
RCL? It has no value at all, in fact the whole green
ink thing was the result of an April Fools Day prank.

Well, I tried it on a number of cd's, and it made most
of those a little worse sounding.

Bull**** - you always had an overly vivid imagination,
sad Sack.

Based on Sackman's lengthy and volumnous history of
over-the-edge postings, maybe he carried that philosoply
into his CD treatments.

dave weil

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:28:14 +0000 (UTC), Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:18:57 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in message
hlink.net...

When people flat out lie about the perfomance improvements that a peice of
equipment, it's my feeling that such information shoud be challenged. If
manufacturers want to chare high prices for gear they ought to expect
challenges. Aside from liking the way one peice of gear looks as opposed
to another, why would anyone want tos spend more monye than needed to
achieve the same performance. Do you think they'd sell more VW's of they
performed exactly the way Porsche does? Do you tink if someone made a car
that performed exactly the way a Porsce does that they'd likely sell
plenty?

They do - the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne are the *same* car.

Until you look at the motors. That has more than a little to do with
"performance".

Sorry you know so little about cars.
Lionel

wrote:

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:18:57 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in message
thlink.net...

When people flat out lie about the perfomance improvements that a peice of
equipment, it's my feeling that such information shoud be challenged. If
manufacturers want to chare high prices for gear they ought to expect
challenges. Aside from liking the way one peice of gear looks as opposed
to another, why would anyone want tos spend more monye than needed to
achieve the same performance. Do you think they'd sell more VW's of they
performed exactly the way Porsche does? Do you tink if someone made a car
that performed exactly the way a Porsce does that they'd likely sell
plenty?

They do - the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne are the *same* car.

Until you look at the motors. That has more than a little to do with
"performance".

Sorry you know so little about cars.

LOL I bet that *you* can make the difference between :

Porsche Cayenne : Cayenne Turbo 450 ch - 620 Nm.
0 to 100 km/H : 5,6 secondes

VW Touareg W12 : 450 ch - 600 Nm
0 to 100 km/H : 5,9 secondes

BTW 99% of the drivers would not make any
difference between the V10 TDI (313ch) and the W12, so...

I'm sorry *you* know so little about cars, Dave.

:-)

dave weil

wrote:

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:18:57 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

[...]

When you learn the meaning of the English word "exactly", please get
back to me.

Lionel

wrote:

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:18:57 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

[...]

Oh, oh Dave is vexed.

My point was about performance :
"That has more than a little to do with "performance".

When you learn to read, please get back too me. ;-)

dave weil

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:06:14 +0200, Lionel
wrote:

Porsche Cayenne : Cayenne Turbo 450 ch - 620 Nm.
0 to 100 km/H : 5,6 secondes

VW Touareg W12 : 450 ch - 600 Nm
0 to 100 km/H : 5,9 secondes

BTW 99% of the drivers would not make any
difference between the V10 TDI (313ch) and the W12, so...

I'm sorry *you* know so little about cars, Dave.

When you learn the meaning of the English word "exactly", please get
back to me.

Oh, oh Dave is vexed.

My point was about performance :
"That has more than a little to do with "performance".

When you learn to read, please get back too me. ;-)

Who cares WHAT your point was about? But since you asked, .3 of a
second IS a difference. Whether or not YOU think that a certain
percentage of drivers might or might not notice is stupid. That
difference could mean the difference between life and death.

Now, quit interferring before I DO get "vexed".

Your corection is accurate: I was writing from
memory- my memory for figures is just as poor as my arithmetics are
in general. My respect for medical research statisticians is
theoretical not, God forbids, hands on :
If the "golden ear" had really got 15 "hits" four times I
should have said that his score was a much better one namely 91% (my
calculator tells me) not 83% that I reported. Odd that you did not
include this in your account of my perfidy. Or do you make errors as
well sometimes?.

Here is Greenhill's table. If it is confusing blame Google. I tried
to arrange it cleanly but could not.
SUBJECTS: A B C D E F G H I J K
Test1: Monster vs. 24 g. wire,Pink noise
15 14 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15
2. Same but levels matched
9 13 7 10 na. 8 9 6 14 12 12
3. Monster vs. 16 gauge zipcord, Pink noise
13 7 10 7 11 12 9 9 11 12 7
4.. 16 ga vs. 24 ga., Pink noise
15 15 na. 14 15 na 15 14 15 15 15
5. Monster vs. 16ga., choral music
4 6 11 8 9 5 5 7 6 10 10
6. Monster vs. 24ga, choral music
14 7 15 10 8 10 6 10 11 12 10
% of "hits" in the total of 6 tests 90 tries:

67. 50 40 33 40 40 33 33 50? 83 50

I am not prepared to lay my
life down for Greenhill's "golden ear"- once again the description is
Greenhill's not mine. Nor will I comment on your disagreement with his
statistics. The entire subject was thrashed out ad nauseam in the RAHE
2 years ago and I regret restarting it. While obviously you're not
bending over backwards to make allowances I have no quarrel with your
forum manners. I quoted Greenhill only as a bait to someone who
pontificated on the subject that he obviously knew little about. But
the topic brings out of the woodwork several creatures that I find
repulsive.
I note that you do not mention any ABX
component comparison studies that would meet your statistical
standards. Even the negative ones like Greenhill's or- dream on- just
one with a POSITIVE outcome.
Where is the research to validate the claims?
My comments are as follows:
1) Your comment that it is "no proof of
exceptional ability" is fair.The "golden ear's" performance may have
been sheer one time luck. ABXing I think fox the temporal lobes of the
brain. It does it to me. I find it funny that the ABXers are up in arms
when someone, just one man, is said to have done well when ABXing. They
should be cheering. Of course he inconsiderately did it comparing
cables and we know what cables are in the ABXers vocabulary.
2) All the panelists did well comparing
uneven diameter cables when pink noise was played to them. The scores
were much worse when music was used as a signal and became awful when
similar diameters were used. Oddly I'm interested in music not pink
noise.
3) I understand that 16 Gauge vs. 24
gauge over 50" means 1,70db volume difference. Six out of eleven
panelists failed to hear this difference in 5 (out of fifteen) tries
or more. I have, with my elderly ears, no difficulty hearing 1db volume
difference between the two speakers when my stepped volume control is
moved without my knowledge- but of course I'm not ABXing.
Ludovic Mirabel

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:18:57 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in message
thlink.net...

When people flat out lie about the perfomance improvements that a peice of
equipment, it's my feeling that such information shoud be challenged. If
manufacturers want to chare high prices for gear they ought to expect
challenges. Aside from liking the way one peice of gear looks as opposed
to another, why would anyone want tos spend more monye than needed to
achieve the same performance. Do you think they'd sell more VW's of they
performed exactly the way Porsche does? Do you tink if someone made a car
that performed exactly the way a Porsce does that they'd likely sell
plenty?

They do - the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne are the *same* car.

Until you look at the motors. That has more than a little to do with
"performance".

Sorry you know so little about cars.

Sorry you're unaware that the base models use the 3.2 V-6 VW petrol
engine, they share the 'stump-pulling' VW 5-litre V-10 turbo-diesel,
and the W-12 VW has the same power output (but with no turbo lag) as
the V-8 Cayenne Turbo S. Shame that you know so little about cars.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 1 Sep 2005 13:41:55 -0700, wrote:

[...]

No, he simply *did not do it* when comparing level-matched or similar
gauge, especially with your preferred music signal. Thank you for
confirming that you are a lying sack of ****.

Bull****, his most recent posts have nothing to with
content, he's become Middius without the charisma, just
pointing out spelling errors.

When you're talking less charisma than Middius, you're really scraping the
bottom. But you're right.

If I had made the post you
made, he would have commented on the errors.

Yeah, but Art's posts pour healing oil on Bob's vendetta against me.

And speaking of lacking in content, what are most of your posts?

Let's not go there. Opps, we're there already.

Art is getting older and some people become more childish when they are
older. I remember Art' posts from years ago, and he used to be able to at
least suggest the appearance of content.

Maybe he Bob could claim that the posts are forged by Bwian again, to make
him look bad, or should I say worse than he already does.

It's the only possible way he might extricate himself from the deep doo-doo
he has put himself in. Either that, or he just likes doo-doo.

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:17:18 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in
message
ink.net...

Then why would something like CD stoplight make the
RCL? It has no value at all, in fact the whole green
ink thing was the result of an April Fools Day prank.

Well, I tried it on a number of cd's, and it made most
of those a little worse sounding.

Bull**** - you always had an overly vivid imagination,
sad Sack.

Based on Sackman's lengthy and volumnous history of
over-the-edge postings, maybe he carried that philosoply
into his CD treatments.

What??? You're not supposed to cover the whole CD with geen ink???
;-)

Lionel wrote:
dave weil a =E9crit :
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:32:04 +0200, Lionel

dave weil a =E9crit :

wrote:

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:18:57 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

When people flat out lie about the perfomance improvements that a p=

eice of
equipment, it's my feeling that such information shoud be challenge=

d=2E If
[...]

Of course he is, the little back-and-forth-and-back-and-forth session
he tried to start with Stewart just blew up in his face. I think he was
not aware of the availability of the W12 engine in the Touareg.

My point was about performance :
"That has more than a little to do with "performance".

When you learn to read, please get back too me. ;-)

Be nice to dave, Lionel, he's very busy picking the egg off his face.
:-D

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The biggest of which is your own lying self. You bring up an article tgat
essentially provesthe case for wire being wire. Nothing more than random
chance for equal diameter wire, as expected.

I note that you do not mention any ABX
component comparison studies that would meet your statistical
standards. Even the negative ones like Greenhill's or- dream on- just
one with a POSITIVE outcome.
Where is the research to validate the claims?
My comments are as follows:
1) Your comment that it is "no proof of
exceptional ability" is fair.The "golden ear's" performance may have
been sheer one time luck. ABXing I think fox the temporal lobes of the
brain. It does it to me. I find it funny that the ABXers are up in arms
when someone, just one man, is said to have done well when ABXing. They
should be cheering.

For what? The physics of wire don't allow for it to be discerned when
compared properly.

Of course he inconsiderately did it comparing
cables and we know what cables are in the ABXers vocabulary.

They are wire, and wire has proerties that are well known, thus when
comparing wire of equal gauge, nobody will ever tell one form another.

2) All the panelists did well comparing
uneven diameter cables when pink noise was played to them. The scores
were much worse when music was used as a signal and became awful when
similar diameters were used.

As has been said repeatedly, pink noise is better than music for telling
differences.

Oddly I'm interested in music not pink
noise.

Nor truth.

3) I understand that 16 Gauge vs. 24
gauge over 50" means 1,70db volume difference. Six out of eleven
panelists failed to hear this difference in 5 (out of fifteen) tries
or more. I have, with my elderly ears, no difficulty hearing 1db volume
difference between the two speakers when my stepped volume control is
moved without my knowledge- but of course I'm not ABXing.
Ludovic Mirabel

Of course not, you prefer to pretend that difference exists wher it does
not.

To John Corbett: (See message from him on Sept. 1. Find text below)
Second thoughts:
Largely through my fault this debate is completely off the
rails. It should not be about the "golden ear".
If he indeed performed miracles getting 83% accuracy then
there are differences between the wires waiting to be "tested.
But three testees ("expert audiophiles all according to
Greenhill) had 33% accuracy score. To them wires are totally
indistiguishable- their results are worse than random.
Let's accept all the criticsms of these 83% results:
"nonrepeatable fluke" etc. Perhaps the "golden ear would go down to 33%
next time around.
Of what use to an ordinary choice- seeking audiophile is a
"test" like that?
And if you consider that in Sean Olive's careful
loudspeaker lab testing ( S. Olive "Differences in performance...."
JAES, vol 51, No 8, 2003, 806- 826) the divergencies in performance
were nearly just as wide- then it is not only wires that are
indistinguishable to many while DBTiing. (Olive felt full ABX was
unsuitable. Ask him why)
Again and again : a one grand "test" for the varying
abilities of millions of individuals to listen and discern is a
pipedream of simplistic minds. So simple that they don't even know when
they are burying their own darling.
Ludovic Mirabel
P.S. As recent correspondence (not yours) shows my comment about
"repulsive creatures crawling out of the woodwork" was an
understatement.
_______________________

wrote:
I did not invent Greenhill's "Golden Ear" or Greenhill's statistics. I
*quoted* from that impeccably objectivist writer who moderated and
reported the Stereo Review cable test.

Ludovic's *quoted* results are pure fabrications. See below.

You are also taking him for a village moron and insulting his statistics'
protocol which for an objectivist, with an axe to grind, was quite scrupulous
(read it!!!). I suspect that he forgot more statistics than you had ever
known. I learnt mine as an employee of the Med. Research Ccil. of U.K. where
double blind tests were *first ever* used.

If Ludovic understood statistical science, he would recognize that
Greenhill's Stereo Review article is not an example of good statistical

work. I used to wonder if Greenhill intended that article as a
hoax---it's that bad--- but now I am resigned to the idea that he was
serious.

I must acknowledge that I admire your temerity in- how shall I put it?-
shooting your mouth off without first looking up the source (I gave
clear reference to it)

See below---what more can I say?.

Greenhill's "Golden Ear" did not "come at 81% one time" Mr,
Scott W. There were six different cable comparison tests consisting of
15 trials each. The "Golden Ear" got 15 out of 15 in four of them,
12 in one, and 10 in one. Hence 83%-get it?

Actually the so-called "Golden Ear" got 15 of 15 in _two_ (not four)
sets
of trials; he got 12 in three sets, and 10 in one.

So much for Ludovic's high standards for accurate reporting.

Even those two perfect scores are not so impressive.

One of the two perfect scores for Listener J (the alleged "Golden Ear")

was on the first test (Monster vs 24 awg, pink noise, levels
unmatched).
Ten of the eleven listeners got 15 of 15 on that, and the other
listener
got 14 of 15; that was an overall rate of 164/165 (more than 99%).

The other perfect score for Listener J was a similar test (16 awg vs 24

awg, pink noise, levels unmatched). Greenhill gave scores for only
nine
listeners (who all got 14 or 15) for an overall rate exceeding 98%.

High scores on such easy tests are not necessarily evidence of
exceptional
ability. By adding those scores to results from other tests Greenhill
inflated the combined score, whether or not it even it made sense to
combine the scores in the first place. That's rather weak support for
"Golden Ear" status.

Annika1980

I got my own cable theory: WIRE = WIRE !!!

Does anyone know of this challenge? [email protected] High End Audio 453 June 28th 04 03:43 AM
Cable Madness SALE at AudioWaves AudioWaves Marketplace 0 April 5th 04 05:24 PM
audio coax cable JYC High End Audio 239 January 18th 04 08:12 PM
Note to the Idiot George M. Middius Audio Opinions 222 January 8th 04 07:13 PM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM