Default Question?

I'm getting into car audio really heavy at this point but I'm still at
the learning stage.I need ya'lls opinion.What do you think of Rockwood
products?

Dark1

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm getting into car audio really heavy at this point but I'm still at
the learning stage.I need ya'lls opinion.What do you think of Rockwood
products?

definetly a "low end" brand..

Thank you . i just needed confirmation on that.What exactly do you mean
by "low end"?

MZ

Thank you . i just needed confirmation on that.What exactly do you mean
by "low end"?

"Low end" is not a jargon, it's perfectly good english.

Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality.

And none of that tells him specifically what is meant by "low end."

Low end, in this case, refers to questionable reliability, probably poor
product support (though I'm just speculating), and probably
inaccurate/misleading specs - usually manifesting itself as overinflated
power ratings.

Dark1

"MZ" wrote in message
Thank you . i just needed confirmation on that.What exactly do you mean
by "low end"?

"Low end" is not a jargon, it's perfectly good english.

Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality.

And none of that tells him specifically what is meant by "low end."

Low end, in this case, refers to questionable reliability, probably poor
product support (though I'm just speculating), and probably
inaccurate/misleading specs - usually manifesting itself as overinflated
power ratings.

Well, I guess I was just trying to be nice about saying, "piece of ****"..
but since we need to be get nitty gritty..
Will never produce/take rated power, likely to run hot/burst into flames

bobb

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:45:43 -0500, "MZ"
wrote:

Thank you . i just needed confirmation on that.What exactly do you mean
by "low end"?

"Low end" is not a jargon, it's perfectly good english.

Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality.

And none of that tells him specifically what is meant by "low end."

Low end, in this case...

I don't understand the confusion. Give me an example of a case where
"low end" means something completely different.

How old are you people? and what country are you from???
MZ

I don't understand the confusion. Give me an example of a case where
"low end" means something completely different.

How old are you people? and what country are you from???

"Low end" can mean a number of different things. The guy asked you what was
meant specifically, and you basically refused to answer ("low end = crap" is
not a description). If you didn't want to answer, then why did you bother
typing a reply?

Scott Gardner

wrote:

Thank you . i just needed confirmation on that.What exactly do you mean
by "low end"?

"Low end" is not a jargon, it's perfectly good english.

Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality.

And none of that tells him specifically what is meant by "low end."

Low end, in this case...

I don't understand the confusion. Give me an example of a case where
"low end" means something completely different.

How old are you people? and what country are you from???

Well, to some people, "low end" might mean "entry level", which
certainly doesn't have the same negative connotation. When I hear
"low end", I think about Kraco, Sparkomatic, Rockwood, and other
flea-market brands like that. To an audiophile, "low end" might
include Kenwood and Sony (I'm not saying he'd be right, but some
people feel that way).

I think you actually did a pretty good job clarifying with your

"Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality"
explanation. That's what I consider "low end", as well.

Scott

MZ

"Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality"
explanation. That's what I consider "low end", as well.

So anything low priced is "low end"?

Daniel Snooks

Dark1 wrote

"MZ" wrote in message
"Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality"
explanation. That's what I consider "low end", as well.

So anything low priced is "low end"?

jeezus.. only here could we have a whole thread arguing the definition of
something that's in the dictionary..
low-end (lnd)
adj.
1.. Cheapest in a line of merchandise: low-end subcompact cars.
2.. Informal. Of, relating to, or intended for low-income consumers;
downscale: a low-end department store.
everyone happy?

Nicely done :-)

Dan

MZ

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
Dark1 wrote

"MZ" wrote in message
"Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality"
explanation. That's what I consider "low end", as well.

So anything low priced is "low end"?

jeezus.. only here could we have a whole thread arguing the definition

of
something that's in the dictionary..
low-end (lnd)
adj.
1.. Cheapest in a line of merchandise: low-end subcompact cars.
2.. Informal. Of, relating to, or intended for low-income consumers;
downscale: a low-end department store.
everyone happy?

This is a forum where people come to discuss car audio. Someone used the
term "low-end". The original poster then asked what was meant exactly by
"low-end", and that's when people started tearing into him for asking.
Rather than answer his question, you all went on the attack.

Sheesh. If you didn't know the answer to his question, or if you didn't
want to answer it for whatever reason, then why on earth did you bother
replying to his post?

Dark1

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

**** Mark, Take a pill would ya? lol
Way I see it, he asked ME what I meant by low end, and you folks jumped on
it like a fly on a fresh turd.. didn't give me much chance to answer.
relax man.. I think he got the idea, and probably decided to ask further
questions elsewhere.. about 10 posts ago

g3gtsboy

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:46:04 -0500, "MZ"
wrote:

"Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality"
explanation. That's what I consider "low end", as well.

So anything low priced is "low end"?

Well, Its certainly been my experience that low end equipment properly
installed and matched to a vehicle can sound just as good if not
better than high end equipement.

my case is this

Early endeaver in car audio, self installed

Clarion 25x4 amp (silver finned heat sink) $100.00
Cheap JL 8" sub (foam surround), in generic box. (el cheapo)
Clarion 7675z HU (ok medium end here)
a/d/s/ 346is components (ok this is high end, but read on)
tuned in 5 minutes

"Tight, Crisp, Bass, easily tuned" Tons of compliments on system
sound, everyone was always suprised when I showed em the little
clarion amp and el cheapo sub solution

Next Endeavor, installed by "reputable" shop Earmark in Dallas, TX
(Parker Rd)
2x IDQ 10's
PPI 4800.2
Clarion HX-D10
a/d/s/ 346is components
tons of brown bread (sound dampening)
Constant Tuning, difficult to get sounding acceptable.

"muddy bass, lacking mid bass, not tight, not crisp". A real pain to
tune, never did get this install sounding good. Rebuilt enclosures,
found the reputable shop had made the enclosures for the subs out of
1/2" mdf and they werent even airtight. Also they drove a screwdriver
through 1 of my surrounds, they replaced it after raising literal hell
with them.

Final solution, installed and built by me. 3/4" MDF properly sized
enclosures that were airtight.

"Best sounding single cab toyota truck I've ever heard" was a regular
comment.

2x IDQ 10's
PPI 4800.2
Clarion HX-D10
a/d/s/ 346is components
tons of brown bread (sound dampening)
A few hours of tuning.

Les

wrote:

"Low end = cheap = crap = price is your top priority = low quality"
explanation. That's what I consider "low end", as well.

So anything low priced is "low end"?

Well, Its certainly been my experience that low end equipment properly
installed and matched to a vehicle can sound just as good if not
better than high end equipement.

Yep. Which makes me wonder why everyone always gets hung up on brand? Get
what fits your needs and budget. In fact I would easily sacrifice the "name"
if it meant I could do a better install.

Next Endeavor, installed by "reputable" shop Earmark in Dallas, TX
(Parker Rd)

There is the problem. Earmark touts themselves as being "reputable". I have
lived and worked in the DFW area all of my life and have never had anyone
say something good about them. In fact I have corrected at least 2 installs
from them that I can remember. People think that they are reputable because
the carry a few "high end" brands.

[...]

And it proves the point yet again that the install is just as critical as
the gear chosen, yet it is often the most overlooked aspect.

Les