kiwi

Default Need reccomendation...

Have looked into a lot of options for upgrading the sound in my new
car... I decided that for now I'm going to upgrade my speakers... I
definitely can't install an amp myself, and at the moment don't wanna
pay to have it installed either. (Plus I don't like the loss of space in
the trunk)

I don't wanna spend too much money at the moment... at most 200 bucks or so

After going through a lot of threads on various forums, I've come up
with 3 things I'm choosing between...
1 - Buying 2 pairs of 5x7 speakers... (direct fit) ... like Infinity
6802cf from eBay
2 - Leaving the back speakers as stock, and buying the CDT Audio CL-61A
component system from thezeb.com and buying speaker adapters (stock
speakers are 5x7/6x8)
3 - Go with 4 6.5" speakers... haven't found any in particular yet

Any suggestions? This is with the stock HU... I know I won't get deep
bass from these, but I at least want some punchy bass. I listen mainly
jamband stuff, like Phish... so it's not like there's a booming bassline
anyway. (Some stuff does though, like maybe Sublime)

So what's the best bang for the buck?

--
Matt
mveino at gmail dot com

American Pro,American Pro,American Pro 6.5's that are 200w a piece-3
way,small box for the trunk(slim line)and 1 amp for the 6.5's .you
might want to add a pair of dome tweeters for clearity(these make a
huge difference).the trunk you could go with volfenhag 10's(these dont
need a whole lot of space)and a amp to run the 10's

jeffc

"kiwi" wrote in message
Have looked into a lot of options for upgrading the sound in my new
car... I decided that for now I'm going to upgrade my speakers... I
definitely can't install an amp myself, and at the moment don't wanna
pay to have it installed either. (Plus I don't like the loss of space in
the trunk)

I don't wanna spend too much money at the moment... at most 200 bucks or

so

In that case, I'd add to your system slowly, one (quality) component at a
time. Front speakers would be a good place to start. A company like
Crutchfield will show you charts that list which speaker sizes fit in your
particular car. Then buy the best speakers you can afford, preferably ones
with separate woofers and tweeters. Getting the tweeters up high closer to
your head usually results in better sound, assuming the tweeters and
crossover are of high quality and good design, of course. Otherwise it
would be like going to a restaurant and complaining that the food is really
bad, and also that the portions are too small.

kiwi

jeffc wrote:
In that case, I'd add to your system slowly, one (quality) component at a
time.

right, which was why i was thinking of adding that CDT component system
for 150 bucks... and eventually buying some CDT 6x's for the back. And
in maybe a year or so (maybe sooner, depends when I get the itch, heh)
get an amp for them.

(I have an infinity basslink I may have installed eventually too... was
in my old car)

I just wasn't sure if it'd be best to go this route, or if the sound
difference is negligible and I'd be just as well off if I got all 4
speakers for 150 bucks or so.

--
Matt
mveino at gmail dot com
http://www.phishyphotos.com
rmp photo album: http://www.recmusicphish.com
IM: Dividedsky319
TM

Go with the higher quality over the quantity. I have always been much
happier that way. I'm about to upgrade my speakers (AGAIN) and wish i
had put in the nice ones to begin with.

MZ

I don't wanna spend too much money at the moment... at most 200 bucks or
so

After going through a lot of threads on various forums, I've come up
with 3 things I'm choosing between...
1 - Buying 2 pairs of 5x7 speakers... (direct fit) ... like Infinity
6802cf from eBay
2 - Leaving the back speakers as stock, and buying the CDT Audio CL-61A
component system from thezeb.com and buying speaker adapters (stock
speakers are 5x7/6x8)
3 - Go with 4 6.5" speakers... haven't found any in particular yet

Option 2 is best. Also, take the others' advice in terms of upgrading later
on. Although, I suggest the next component you buy is an amplifier for the
front speakers.

In fact, for under $200 you could afford both right now if you'd be willing
to purchase the amp used (on ebay, for instance).

kiwi

MZ wrote:
Option 2 is best. Also, take the others' advice in terms of upgrading later
on. Although, I suggest the next component you buy is an amplifier for the
front speakers.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I ended up going for cheaper components for the front (100 bucks) and a
5x7 speaker for the back (50 bucks)

1 103184 Pioneer TS-C1653 6-1/2" Component System
In Process $95.95
1 106845 Metra 82-5600 Universal Speaker Adapter Bracket
In Process $8.95
1 103169 Pioneer TS-A6870R 6"x8" Full-Range Speakers
In Process $46.95

So I'll replace all 6 speakers in my car for 160 bucks...

Hopefully it'll sound a little better than the stock speakers in there
now. Looking forward to putting them in...

(I know I'm not gonna be getting any competition soundsystem with this
setup, heh, but that's not what I was looking for anyway... really won't
be played THAT loud anyway)