Steve

Default 12V vs 14.4V specifications?

I have wondered long enough why car audio manufacturers list specs for 2
different voltages, specifically 12 volt and 14.4 volt. The power ratings
at these two voltages can vary quite a bit (Phoenix Gold seems to come to
mind here).

Why the two sets of specs? What on earth can I do to feed my system the
14.4 volts (just drive the vehicle)? Are there any benefits to providing
the system 14.4 volts?

I have noticed my alt meter when driving is always above 12 volts. Is it
14.4? Can't really tell.

Thanks for your explanation.

Regards,
Steve

Les

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
I have wondered long enough why car audio manufacturers list specs for 2
different voltages, specifically 12 volt and 14.4 volt. The power ratings
at these two voltages can vary quite a bit (Phoenix Gold seems to come to
mind here).

Why the two sets of specs? What on earth can I do to feed my system the
14.4 volts (just drive the vehicle)? Are there any benefits to providing
the system 14.4 volts?

I have noticed my alt meter when driving is always above 12 volts. Is it
14.4? Can't really tell.

Thanks for your explanation.

Regards,
Steve

The typical voltage of a vehicle running is 14.4 volts. The typical voltage
of a non-running vehicle is 12 volts. That is why you see the 2 different
specs.

Les

Tony F

The battery delivers 12 volts when the engine is off. When the engine is
running the alternator delivers somewhere between 13.5 and 14.4 volts to the
accessories (like your amps).

12 volts is listed for competition purposes. PG rates their amps at let's
say 18 watts into 4 channels at 12 volts. This would mean you have a 72
watt amplifier for the purposes of fitting you into a power category. The
other rating at 14.4 volts would be 75 watts into 4 channels, putting you
into the 300 watt category. It's always seemed a little silly to me. It's
like a reverse handicap...at least that's the way I've thought of it.

Tony

--
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
"Steve" wrote in message
m...
I have wondered long enough why car audio manufacturers list specs for 2
different voltages, specifically 12 volt and 14.4 volt. The power ratings
at these two voltages can vary quite a bit (Phoenix Gold seems to come to
mind here).

Why the two sets of specs? What on earth can I do to feed my system the
14.4 volts (just drive the vehicle)? Are there any benefits to providing
the system 14.4 volts?

I have noticed my alt meter when driving is always above 12 volts. Is it
14.4? Can't really tell.

Thanks for your explanation.

Regards,
Steve

MZ

I have wondered long enough why car audio manufacturers list specs for 2
different voltages, specifically 12 volt and 14.4 volt. The power ratings
at these two voltages can vary quite a bit (Phoenix Gold seems to come to
mind here).

Why the two sets of specs? What on earth can I do to feed my system the
14.4 volts (just drive the vehicle)? Are there any benefits to providing
the system 14.4 volts?

I have noticed my alt meter when driving is always above 12 volts. Is it
14.4? Can't really tell.

Thanks for your explanation.

The manufacturers that list only a 14.4v rating are usually doing so to be
able to boast a high power output. Those that put both ratings on there are
attempting to be a little more honest and thorough in their ratings.

The bottom line is that it makes no difference. You cannot hear the
difference between, say, 75x2 and 50x2 if they're fluctuating as the voltage
is fluctuating.

Advent Laureate Floorstanding Main Speaker Technical Specifications eagertrader Audio Opinions 1 October 16th 14 05:33 PM
Specifications Chelvam High End Audio 12 October 3rd 04 11:42 PM
Understanding Specifications Mike Rivers Pro Audio 18 June 16th 04 06:41 PM
Specifications Ratings Lalo Car Audio 3 February 20th 04 10:18 PM
Voice Specifications Praveen Deshpande Audio Opinions 0 January 13th 04 10:57 AM