Default Viper Alarm problem and install problem @ Best Buy

Hi,
Have a big problem, hoping someone can may have some advice as to what
is causing problem.
I had a security system installed yesterday (Viper 771) with remote
engine start (in a 91' Jeep Cherokee). After the system was installed,
the vehicle would not automatically switch gears. It basically starts
out in (Drive), and creeps along until it gets up to speed, then runs
fine, except it won't switch down gears again or pop into passing gear.
Manually gears work fine.
Installers (Best Buy), disconnected the system but problem is still
happening. Best Buy said it could brought into a Jeep dealer, and if
they find the problem was caused by the install they would take care of
it, other wise it would be my problem. I wasn't having this problem
before bringing it in, it seems strange that it would just start
happening while sitting in their garage while the system was being
installed without it being related to the install.
Any clues what may cause this problem? Electronically, is there
something they could have effected the would tell the XJ not to switch
gears. I would appreciate any feedback before the dealer makes their
deciesion.
Thanks

Scott Gardner

On 13 Jan 2005 21:14:19 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

With so many automatic transmissions being computer-controlled, I bet
the installers accidentally pulled a wiring harness loose or maybe
damaged a connector. Take it to the dealership. Whatever it was,
it'll probably be very obvious what happened, and I bet it will be a
quick & cheap fix.

Scott
Barry & Nikki

CHEAP?? What the hell is EVER cheap when you bring it to a dealer??
Definitely sounds like Best Buy screwed things up but they will find any way
they can to weasel out of taking the blame. Its the world we live in
unfortunately. Everyone wants to take your $$ do shoddy work than put the
blame on someone else. It's truly sad.

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
On 13 Jan 2005 21:14:19 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Scott Gardner

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:30:03 -0800, "Barry & Nikki"
wrote:

CHEAP?? What the hell is EVER cheap when you bring it to a dealer??
Definitely sounds like Best Buy screwed things up but they will find any way
they can to weasel out of taking the blame. Its the world we live in
unfortunately. Everyone wants to take your $$ do shoddy work than put the
blame on someone else. It's truly sad.

Actually, it sounds like Best Buy is being pretty stand-up about
things, at least so far. If I were them, I'd want the decision to
come from an authorized dealership, rather than just taking the word
of the vehicle's owner. So far, BB has done everything I'd want them
to do if I were in the OP's shoes.

Now, if the Jeep dealer says that the BB installers botched the job,
and BB tries to weasel out of paying to have it fixed, that's a
different story.

Scott

Well I'll be talking to the manager tomorrow. We'll see how things go.
According to other Cherokee owners, the problems I'm having is related
to the Transmission Control Unit which is mounted under the dash with a
big old connector, relay, and fuse. My guess they messed up something
in relating to it.

Scott Mullen

I had a Python (same thing, pretty much) the one with the 2way LCD
(responder) installed and everytime I use the Autostart function, the check
engine light come on and stays for about a week or so and it either does'nt
**** or shifts really late; it does this for about a week or so, then goes
back to normal till I use the auto start again...

I didn't really notice this for about a week after I got the alarm
installed, as I really don't use it much... Then when I did notice it, I
mentioned it to the shop and they said, nothing they did could have caused
that and I need to take it to the dealer if it persists...

Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Steve B.

On 13 Jan 2005 21:14:19 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

In case you dont alerady know.. do not drive your vehicle like this.
You will burn out the transmission in short order and best buy will be
able to get out of replacing it if you continue to drive the vehicle
knowing there is a problem.

Steve B.

Scott Mullen wrote:

I had a Python (same thing, pretty much) the one with the 2way LCD
(responder) installed and everytime I use the Autostart function, the

check
engine light come on and stays for about a week or so and it either

does'nt
**** or shifts really late; it does this for about a week or so, then

goes
back to normal till I use the auto start again...

I didn't really notice this for about a week after I got the alarm
installed, as I really don't use it much... Then when I did notice

it, I
mentioned it to the shop and they said, nothing they did could have

caused
that and I need to take it to the dealer if it persists...

The DEI dealer that I had install my Python screwed up the engine
computer when I asked him to remove the Python completely (the Python
would periodically fail to disarm, causing the vehicle to be
immobilized until the alarm started responding after a few hours, or a
day.

The dealer should be able to tell if the alarm is the cause of the
problem. At least Best Buy offered to take care of it if the alarm
caused the problem.

_Seven years_ after I completely removed the Python I am still getting
e-mails from people with similar problems with the Python...just got
another one today.

John Durbin

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of satisfied Python customers with none of
the problems you describe go blissfully about their daily lives...

How's that Saturn?

JD

wrote:

[...]

Steven M. Scharf

John Durbin wrote:
Meanwhile, tens of thousands of satisfied Python customers with none of
the problems you describe go blissfully about their daily lives...

I'm sure that's the case. Alas, the way you tell the quality of a
company is by how it treats the minority of customers that happen to get
a defective product. DEI doesn't get a good grade in that regard.

BTW, here's the follow-up from the e-mail two days ago: