Midnight Moocher

Default What is the wattage of a standard Ford Radio?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new audio system for my car (Ford Fiesta 1989-1995).

With many varieties available I was wondering what the wattage is on my current standard ford radio. Haven't got any guides or
instruction manuals that will give me this information.

Thanks

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Midnight Moocher" wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new audio system for my car (Ford Fiesta 1989-1995).

With many varieties available I was wondering what the wattage is on my
current standard ford radio. Haven't got any guides or
instruction manuals that will give me this information.

Thanks

Almost all head units operate directly off the battery power so they're
about 18W RMS into each 4 Ohm speaker. HUs with power inverters or
output transformers are rare.
mayhemkrew

I would doubt the stock unit outputs 18w RMS, considering a 45x4 would
output about 22w RMS per channel...I am guessing a stock unit of that era
would output about 8-10w RMS per channel 20-25w peak per channel.

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"Midnight Moocher" wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new audio system for my car (Ford Fiesta

1989-1995).

With many varieties available I was wondering what the wattage is on my
current standard ford radio. Haven't got any guides or
instruction manuals that will give me this information.

Thanks

Almost all head units operate directly off the battery power so they're
about 18W RMS into each 4 Ohm speaker. HUs with power inverters or
output transformers are rare.

MZ

I would doubt the stock unit outputs 18w RMS, considering a 45x4 would
output about 22w RMS per channel...I am guessing a stock unit of that era
would output about 8-10w RMS per channel 20-25w peak per channel.

What's "peak"?