Rifa Roederstein

Default Help Building A Low Wattage Tube Guitar Amplifier

Hello All!

I know this post probably belongs in a group such as
rec.audio.fisherprice.newbie but I could use a hand.
I want to build a very low wattage (one watt?)tube guitar amplifier
for (miked) recording. I was considering the Hi-Octane from
the AX84 site but would like to use some of the parts I have
to save some dough. I have some good parts, tubes etc. to trade
if anyone has any small appropriate transformers laying in their
obsession pile. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
FudallaATrealmatrix.com
Scott Dorsey

Rifa Roederstein wrote:

I know this post probably belongs in a group such as
rec.audio.fisherprice.newbie but I could use a hand.
I want to build a very low wattage (one watt?)tube guitar amplifier
for (miked) recording. I was considering the Hi-Octane from
the AX84 site but would like to use some of the parts I have
to save some dough. I have some good parts, tubes etc. to trade
if anyone has any small appropriate transformers laying in their
obsession pile. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

I probably have some cheap table-radio style transformers for 50C5
single-ended outputs around here if you want one. Should work with
any other single-ended output stage that has a similar plate current
and similar output impedance.

S O'Neill

Rifa Roederstein wrote:

Thanks for the help guys and the offer Scott. I ended up buying an old
Zenith radio with an unusual 7" speaker at the flea market. With a
little snooping around on the net, I found a schematic for it with an
optional "phono" input which mine didn't have but now doesMy guitar
sounds great through this thing! It's quiet as a mouse and has a
surprisingly good low end. It uses a 19T8 and a 35C5 for the audio
amplification (along with some rf tubes). Very cool for the $15 paid.
Have a great weekend!!

Paul (Rifa=caps + roherderstein = resistors which are both impossible
to find, regardless of unhealthy-needless obsessing)

Ok, now, you've opened a can-o-worms! What you have is called a hot-chassis
radio. Exactly what it sounds like. The chassis of that thing, hence your
guitar strings, are connected directly to the AC line (see below).

Unplug it now and order a 117:117 volt (1:1) isolation power transformer, or the
first time you touch your strings and touch a mic may be your last.

One side of the line is grounded, the other is hot (117VAC). Which side is
connected to the chassis and which is connected to the rectifier is random,
depending on which way you plug it in.

The tube filaments are all connected in series; the starting numbers in their
types which designate their filament voltages, all add up to 117 (line voltage):
the 35C5 is 35 volts, etc. Take a look and see.

Logan Shaw

S O'Neill wrote:
Ok, now, you've opened a can-o-worms! What you have is called a
hot-chassis radio. Exactly what it sounds like. The chassis of that
thing, hence your guitar strings, are connected directly to the AC line
(see below).

Unplug it now and order a 117:117 volt (1:1) isolation power
transformer, or the first time you touch your strings and touch a mic
may be your last.

One side of the line is grounded, the other is hot (117VAC). Which side
is connected to the chassis and which is connected to the rectifier is
random, depending on which way you plug it in.

Couldn't you just unplug the thing and use a continuity tester to
determine which blade of the plug is connected to the chassis,
then replace the plug with a polarized plug so that the chassis
is always connected to the ground?

- Logan

Ben Bradley

On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:49:39 GMT, Logan Shaw
wrote:

S O'Neill wrote:
Ok, now, you've opened a can-o-worms! What you have is called a
hot-chassis radio. Exactly what it sounds like. The chassis of that
thing, hence your guitar strings, are connected directly to the AC line
(see below).

Unplug it now and order a 117:117 volt (1:1) isolation power
transformer, or the first time you touch your strings and touch a mic
may be your last.

One side of the line is grounded, the other is hot (117VAC). Which side
is connected to the chassis and which is connected to the rectifier is
random, depending on which way you plug it in.

Couldn't you just unplug the thing and use a continuity tester to
determine which blade of the plug is connected to the chassis,
then replace the plug with a polarized plug so that the chassis
is always connected to the ground?

Yes but you would be trusting the hot and neutral on every outlet
you plug it into to be wired correctly. And that's not something to be
trusted. Such a miswired outlet will work correctly with every other
kind of device, but still put the line voltage on this chassis.

- Logan

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Logan Shaw

wrote:

Couldn't you just unplug the thing and use a continuity tester to
determine which blade of the plug is connected to the chassis,
then replace the plug with a polarized plug so that the chassis
is always connected to the ground?

Yes but you would be trusting the hot and neutral on every outlet
you plug it into to be wired correctly. And that's not something to be
trusted. Such a miswired outlet will work correctly with every other
kind of device, but still put the line voltage on this chassis.

If there aren't other devices that already do this, then why was
the polarized plug invented in the first place? Perhaps it was a
bad idea from the start for just this reason, but if so, then
why do so many electronic devices still come with polarized plugs
if they are useless?

- Logan

S O'Neill

wrote:

Couldn't you just unplug the thing and use a continuity tester to
determine which blade of the plug is connected to the chassis,
then replace the plug with a polarized plug so that the chassis
is always connected to the ground?

Yes but you would be trusting the hot and neutral on every outlet
you plug it into to be wired correctly. And that's not something to be
trusted. Such a miswired outlet will work correctly with every other
kind of device, but still put the line voltage on this chassis.

If there aren't other devices that already do this, then why was
the polarized plug invented in the first place? Perhaps it was a
bad idea from the start for just this reason, but if so, then
why do so many electronic devices still come with polarized plugs
if they are useless?

Good question. All I can figure is the wide blade may be required to be
connected to the non-switched side of the appliance, reducing the number
of internal parts that are hot when it's off.

Quick, don't look, which wire would you connect to the brass-colored
screw, white or black? Would you wager your life that everyone who has
ever fixed an outlet knows or cares?

If the OP is still around, I wonder if it hums real loud if he reverses
the AC plug. That would probably be the dangerous side.

But the good news is that it'll work if he plugs it into DC line
voltage, if they still have that anywhere.

Rifa Roederstein

S O'Neill wrote in message ...
Rifa Roederstein wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm very careful with tube electronics,
especially the PS caps which I always make sure are drained etc....
but though I should have seen this hazard, unfortunately didn't
realize what is now obvious. I'm thinking I'll play it safe and go
with a transformer,
and that it wouldn't be a bad idea to fish around on eBay for a nice
DC power supply (like maybe a power one linear), maybe filter it with
a nice 100uf cap also, and do away with this rectifier which looks
like a heatsink. The heaters are series heated and I was thinking of
rewiring them in parallel but this amp sounds very good and is very
quiet, so I don't want to screw with it too much. I'm also installing
a selector switch so I can listen to the radio (which also sounds
great), or use it as an amp. What do you think S?

Paul

S O'Neill

Rifa Roederstein wrote:

Not any more!! Just learned about the importance of an isolation
transformer in guitar amps like this one (fortunately the easy way).

Phew! That was close!

S O'Neill

Rifa Roederstein wrote:

Not any more!! Just learned about the importance of an isolation
transformer in guitar amps like this one (fortunately the easy way).

Phew! That was close!

Gord

http://www.marshamps.com

This guy sells tweed Champ kits for $385. I believe he includes very
detailed instructions for assembly.

It's probably going to end up being around 3.5 to 4 watts, and have a
very classic sound that records well in many applications.

Take care,
Gord

Les Cargill

Gord wrote:

http://www.marshamps.com

This guy sells tweed Champ kits for $385. I believe he includes very
detailed instructions for assembly.

It's probably going to end up being around 3.5 to 4 watts, and have a
very classic sound that records well in many applications.

Take care,
Gord

Holy cow! Thanks for the link.

--
Les Cargill

Rifa Roederstein

(Gord) wrote in message . com...
http://www.marshamps.com

This guy sells tweed Champ kits for $385. I believe he includes very
detailed instructions for assembly.

It's probably going to end up being around 3.5 to 4 watts, and have a
very classic sound that records well in many applications.

Take care,
Gord

Thanks for the tip Gord. The folks in this group RULE. I've been
having fun with alot of old tube amps (Bogen, Harman Kardon, etc.)
that I pick up cheap on eBay. My primary need was originally for an
amp for recording that would add the distortion/feedback effect, which
I could mic. It's turned into something interesting though just
checking out the different amps, most of which sound really good. I
even have a Heathkit WA-P2 preamp which I've added a power supply to
and use for a guitar preamp. It's quite rewarding just cleaning these
amps up, changing the PS caps, cleaning the pots, etc., also learning
alot of fun things (including a very important tip about how NOT to
get electrocuted very recently). I really have no need for a real
guitar amp, though that kit seems interesting and the tip is
appreciated. I'm having fun tinkering and learning, which is all i
really need now. I have a couple old amps that will work fine for
miked recording also. It's very surprising how most of these amps work
like new after very little attention, considering what they can do,
how old they are, and how cheap you can get them for. Tubes are so
fascinating!!

Paul (Rifa)

Tim Walter

These links should compliment what's already been said

http://www.ax84.com/
This is a fantastic site based around an open source-style tube amp.
Lots of variations and great learning to be had... You can get kits or
just work with your own sources and a parts list.

http://www.duncanamps.com/
http://www.aikenamps.com/
These sites have lots of great information for the builder as well...

Rifa Roederstein

(Tim Walter) wrote in message om...
These links should compliment what's already been said

http://www.ax84.com/
This is a fantastic site based around an open source-style tube amp.
Lots of variations and great learning to be had... You can get kits or
just work with your own sources and a parts list.

http://www.duncanamps.com/
http://www.aikenamps.com/
These sites have lots of great information for the builder as well...

Just got finished building the simple PI from the ax84 website, what a
lil' beast. Very hard to believe it only uses one 12AX7 and one EL84.
It also has bass/mid/treble controls and a nice overdrive when cranked
up. Built with a handfull of scrap parts! The Power One IHB200 power
supply I had laying around worked out well also. It should work great
for recording. Highly recommended.

Paul (Rifa)