Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Speaker wire/cable gauge

I need to purchase some cheap speaker cables with the rca type plug. I
can only find this online as the stores don't carry it anymore. The
ones I've been looking at have different gauges such as 16 and 24. What
are these? What do they mean? How do I know what I need?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Joe Kesselman

I need to purchase some cheap speaker cables with the rca type plug. I
can only find this online as the stores don't carry it anymore.

Buy plugs, buy wire, assemble. Undoubtedly cheaper.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
leejohn

go rampage around at a surplus store that carries lots of wires/cables
etc...buy a spool or length amount that you require of... TELEPHONE
CABLE ( many small solid copper wires housed in its own multi-color
insulation). Find the phone cable that has 24 individual wires,
stripped the insulation off all 24, take 12 naked wires & twist them
into a solid strand which is your + conductor, now twist the other 12
naked wire into a solid strand which is you minus conductor. each
twisted side is about 18 guage (smaller number the better).place
appropriate terminals at each end and away you go! I purchased a 480
ft spool for $75...smaller length may run you about 20 -30 cent/foot.
Good luck!

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
The Art of Bose Bashing and Amar's Supposed Descent into Mediocrity Wylie Williams General 3 September 27th 04 03:16 AM
Old speaker boxes Jebus Tech 270 June 4th 04 01:42 AM
My equipment review of the Bose 901 TonyP Audio Opinions 65 February 13th 04 01:06 AM
Bose 901 Review New Account Vacuum Tubes 0 February 6th 04 02:53 AM