Jay

Default Question :: Creating a MONO sound system

I've been thinking lately about trying to create some sort of MONO
sound system to play my record and cd collection on.

What I had in mind is the following...

1) a reciever that can do a mono 'mix down'
2) my cd player
3) my turntable
4) a really nice center channel speaker

Can someone suggest the best way to go about this? What would be the
best components to buy, etc.

Thanks...
soundandvision
Robert Morein

"Jay" wrote in message
om...
I've been thinking lately about trying to create some sort of MONO
sound system to play my record and cd collection on.

What I had in mind is the following...

1) a reciever that can do a mono 'mix down'
2) my cd player
3) my turntable
4) a really nice center channel speaker

Can someone suggest the best way to go about this? What would be the
best components to buy, etc.

Thanks...
soundandvision

Why?

A much more pleasing sound can be obtained by the "Stereo Dipole" setup.
Ralph Glasgow wrote about this extensively.
Two small speakers, placed side-by-side, have an interesting property: the
comb filtering effect caused by interaural crosstalk can be cancelled to a
rather reasonable degree.

I'd go with a standard stereo setup, and look for a device that can do the
cancellation. These are rather hard to find, but a Carver C-9 "sonic
holography generator" might provide an interesting starting point.

sodderboy

There is a high road and a low road here!
I am reminded of an afternoon spent with a guy who had a 300B 5W
monoblock and a horn driver, both from a theater that used them in the
forties. I guess Julie London sounded great on his $20,000! system,
but I would have rather listened to Nirvana on a clock radio in those
days. Try
http://www.worldaudiodesign.co.uk/
to get a feel for audiophile mono systems. They have great links.
But bring your VISA card! Try the same question on the audiophile
group. I imagine that $20,000 is chump change these days for many
"purists".

That is probably not what you are after. For a standalone home
system, try using an older 80's receiver- they always had a mono
choice on them. I see them at garage sales all the time. Mono will
sound better if the original source is mono. Old records- dub reggae,
jazz and blues 78's, easy listening etc. will sound better than Led
Zepp, Nirvana, or Radiohead because stereo mixing brings in "ear
candy" processing that tends to go flat when summed.

We take the "mono" switch for granted in the recording studio- it is
on all recording consoles down to little Mackies. I also have stereo
to mono combiners built in the patchbay for utility use. Two hots, L
and R, sum to one through two matched 10K resistors and the shields
join. This would work with the CD but not the turntable- the RIAA
curve would be changed.

"the problem is not with your speakers, Mr. Smith, your ears are out
of phase"

unitron

Ben Bradley wrote in message . ..
snip

...and if you'd ever heard of quad (meaning four-speaker
sound, not the hifi manufacturer), you'd see where the questions and
answers were coming from, and it was amusing.

Unfortunately I was working in hi-fi sales at that time and had to
deal with manufacturers all jumping on the bandwagon whether our
customers actually wanted receivers with 4 smaller amplifiers instead
of 2 larger ones or not. I was not amused.

unitron

Ben Bradley wrote in message . ..
snip

...and if you'd ever heard of quad (meaning four-speaker
sound, not the hifi manufacturer), you'd see where the questions and
answers were coming from, and it was amusing.

Unfortunately I was working in hi-fi sales at that time and had to
deal with manufacturers all jumping on the bandwagon whether our
customers actually wanted receivers with 4 smaller amplifiers instead
of 2 larger ones or not. I was not amused.

Steely Dan The Absolute Sound Steven Sullivan High End Audio 585 August 26th 04 02:17 AM
Bose system paul tumolo Pro Audio 40 February 23rd 04 02:37 PM
Speaker Wire & Sound Quality Question CajunUSA Tech 9 September 8th 03 05:17 PM
Suggestions for new/replacement Rink sound system Robert Bell Pro Audio 6 September 2nd 03 02:11 AM
People that have or do listen to both Vinyl and Cd: Basicsurvey/poll Max Holubitsky Audio Opinions 85 August 10th 03 08:53 PM