Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

Default What is the "stereo angle'?

Quite often, when discussing a stereo mike setup, there is reference to the
stereo angle. Just what is the definition of the stereo angle, and how is
it defined mathematically?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] troybourne@gmail.com is offline

On Aug 1, 12:29 pm, wrote:
Quite often, when discussing a stereo mike setup, there is reference to the
stereo angle. Just what is the definition of the stereo angle, and how is
it defined mathematically?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Hey Norm...

This is off the top of my head and it's been a while since the 'books'
BUT I believe you may be looking at one of three numbers depending on
what question you are truly trying to answer...

so here are my takes....

1. stereo angle of a 'co-incident pair' of mics.... 90 degrees (mic
diaphrams nearly touching but perpendicular to eachother while
capsules remain on the same plane... you can find illustrations of
this online)

2. in an ORTF position... think like you're placing your microphones
like your ears work spaced about 8'' apart (17 cm??) and the stereo
angle is 110 degrees I believe... (look up ORTF I'm sure its on the
web)

and 3. (this has nothing to do with mic'ing... ) I suppose you could
be talking about proper stereo placement for nearfield monitors???
which generally speaking is a equilateral triangle with your HEAD
being the third 'point' of your triangle... (technically that would be
60 degree inner angles of a equilateral triangle)

hope this is what you were looking for... take care Norm.

Troy Bourne

Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..
Quite often, when discussing a stereo mike setup, there is reference to
the stereo angle. Just what is the definition of the stereo angle, and
how is it defined mathematically?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Norm, this higly regarded paper gives it all to you:
http://www.rycote.com/products/pdf/T...nic%20Zoom.pdf

Regards,
Bob Morein
Dresher, PA
(215) 646-4894

Perfect! Thank you, Bob

Norm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Satz David Satz is offline

Norm, I assume you mean what Prof. Michael Williams calls the
"stereophonic recording angle" of a microphone setup. This is the
angle in the real-world recording situation which will just--more or
less exactly--seem to fill the span between two loudspeakers in
playback.

This angle varies considerably among different stereo microphone
arrangements. The ideal is to find a combination of miking distance
and (by selection of an appropriate setup) stereophonic recording
angle which will translate the actual angular width of whatever you're
recording into the angular width that you want in playback.

That doesn't mean that you always want to fill the distance between
the speakers completely. "The violin that ate New York" can be a
rather distracting effect, but it is also sad when most of the direct
sound sources in a recording seem to come from within a small range of
angles near to the center, as so often occurs when X/Y cardioids are
used by those who believe that 90 degrees is the ideal angle to set
between them. (It actually gives some enormously wide stereophonic
recording angle; the result is halfway between stereo and mono.)

At any rate, Williams' (and others') work can greatly reduce the
amount of trial and error that are needed when deciding on a
microphone setup for most simple stereo recording techniques. Once you
learn how to use his charts, they offer the big, previously missing
pieces of information for a lot of people. Highly recommended.

--best regards

Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

"David Satz" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It's an excellent article, and it answers all my questions more than
adequately. I read an article by Bruce Babbit not too long ago in which he
shows experimental results of the apparent separation of 5 sound sources
compared to the actual separation of the same sources when recorded. I
guess the object is to make the recording sound as much like the original as
possible. It's interesting to note than the best results were obtained with
an ORTF placement having an angle of 110 degrees and a spacing of 17cm.

Also, the Sennheiser brochure for the MKH series has a short discussion of
stereo angles on the back 2 pages.

Thanks for your help.

Norm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

wrote in message
. ..

It's an excellent article, and it answers all my questions more than
adequately. I read an article by Bruce Babbit not too long ago in which

he
shows experimental results of the apparent separation of 5 sound sources
compared to the actual separation of the same sources when recorded. I
guess the object is to make the recording sound as much like the original

as
possible. It's interesting to note than the best results were obtained

with
an ORTF placement having an angle of 110 degrees and a spacing of 17cm.

Gee, the AES ran a similar article in the 1970s. I don't think it was by
Babbit but I could be wrong. Anyway, that one gave good marks to the ORTF
setup, also Blumlein (stacked figure-8s at 90 degrees).

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message
wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I screwed up the name. It was Bruce _Bartlett_, not babbit. And it was in
db magazine for December, 1979. (I guess I should have looked it up before
I posted.) :-)

Norm