Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] dandaman2234@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Car Audio System Revamp - Help Required!!!

Hi I have a Mutant car stereo 50wattsx4 with cd/mp3/wma player, sd/mcc
car reader + usb pendrive reader. It has 1 pre-out and 4 speaker
channels. I also have 2x60watts SPLX coxial speakers (green ones) and a
450watts SPLX " channel amp which runs 2x500watts Shark 6x9 speakers.

I am going to buy a new car and leaving the 6x9's in the old car. I
will eventually buy another amp and a sub+box and 2 replacement front
speakers. The car that i intend to buy has 2x 160watt kenwood speakers.

Can someone tell me whether I would be better off connecting the SPLX
amp to a sub or 6x9's?
I kept on getting a buzzing sound with my old speakers so i don't know
what to do.
What type of sub, speakers and amp should I get?
Coxial or Component???????

Thanks

Dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Hi Dan,

You'd do well to look over the FAQ at http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/
Also, take a little time to "catch up" on the group.
That'll answer most of your questions, and for those questions it
doesn't answer, it'll help you figure out how to ask them in order to
achieve maximum response...

general answers:
You'll probably enjoy a dedicated sub in a proper enclosure more than a
pair of 6x9's running free-air, so I'd go with that.

Your problem with buzzing isn't likely the fault of the speakers. More
likely a problem with the installation (bad ground), or with the amp itself.

Other than Kenwood, I've never heard of any of the brands you've
mentioned, so I don't have any idea of what your expectations are... If
you could be more specific as to what you like and don't like about your
current set-up, we might have something to work with.

KeithS

wrote:
Hi I have a Mutant car stereo 50wattsx4 with cd/mp3/wma player, sd/mcc
car reader + usb pendrive reader. It has 1 pre-out and 4 speaker
channels. I also have 2x60watts SPLX coxial speakers (green ones) and a
450watts SPLX " channel amp which runs 2x500watts Shark 6x9 speakers.

I am going to buy a new car and leaving the 6x9's in the old car. I
will eventually buy another amp and a sub+box and 2 replacement front
speakers. The car that i intend to buy has 2x 160watt kenwood speakers.

Can someone tell me whether I would be better off connecting the SPLX
amp to a sub or 6x9's?
I kept on getting a buzzing sound with my old speakers so i don't know
what to do.
What type of sub, speakers and amp should I get?
Coxial or Component???????

Thanks

Dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] dandaman2234@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Hi thanks for the reply. My main problem is the buzzing sound from the
6x9 speakers which resembles the hissing for a record player. I don't
know the cause of this as I sanded, cleaned and greased the contact for
the ground located on the bolt holding my rear seat down. This is the
main reason for thinking that component speakers are better than 4 way
6x9's.

I would ideally like a nice crisp sound for the high's and nice rounded
bassy tones.
Would parcel shelf speakers sound good or should they be mounted on the
rear side panels?

Cheers

wrote:
Hi I have a Mutant car stereo 50wattsx4 with cd/mp3/wma player, sd/mcc
car reader + usb pendrive reader. It has 1 pre-out and 4 speaker
channels. I also have 2x60watts SPLX coxial speakers (green ones) and a
450watts SPLX " channel amp which runs 2x500watts Shark 6x9 speakers.

I am going to buy a new car and leaving the 6x9's in the old car. I
will eventually buy another amp and a sub+box and 2 replacement front
speakers. The car that i intend to buy has 2x 160watt kenwood speakers.

Can someone tell me whether I would be better off connecting the SPLX
amp to a sub or 6x9's?
I kept on getting a buzzing sound with my old speakers so i don't know
what to do.
What type of sub, speakers and amp should I get?
Coxial or Component???????

Thanks

Dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply. My main problem is the buzzing sound from the
6x9 speakers which resembles the hissing for a record player. I don't
know the cause of this as I sanded, cleaned and greased the contact for
the ground located on the bolt holding my rear seat down. This is the
main reason for thinking that component speakers are better than 4 way
6x9's.

Speakers don't produce hissing noises--not even cheap ones. Hissing
noises come from noisy electronics. However, if you're talking about
*scratchiness* then you might have a roasted voice coil (or two) in
your 6x9's. A pretty simple way to tell if you have a driver with a
really roasted voice coil is to gently move the code back and forth by
hand, making sure that you apply even pressure to both sides of the
cone--tolerances are pretty tight, so if you push on just one side or
push unevenly, you'll wind up rocking the cone out of alignment and
scraping your voice coil up against the walls of the gap (bad). When
you move the code back and forth, you should not feel any scraping--the
cone should move freely.

As for component speakers being better than 6x9's, well, yeah, they
typically are, but not for the reasons you've cited here--it has more
to do with the amount of money manufacturers put into making the
speakers. Six-by-nines are specialty speakers that only fit into
relatively few vehicles--so you're not going to get audiophile quality
in that format....although my understanding is that JL Audio makes some
pretty good 6x9's:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=129
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=128

I know them by reputation only--I've never listened to them.

I would ideally like a nice crisp sound for the high's and nice rounded
bassy tones.
Would parcel shelf speakers sound good or should they be mounted on the
rear side panels?

Speakers mounted in the rear parcel shelf should suffice, and will
actually have a higher probability of producing "nice, rounded bassy
tones" than speakers mounted in the side panels--the latter aren't
typically very rigid, nor do they have a lot of air behind them, which
6x9's tend to want.

-dan