Karl Uppiano

Default What kind of EQ does Bose use on the 901s?

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s? How do they
sound with and without EQ? Are they usable without the EQ? Note: I'm not
asking for a speaker review here...

Ethan Winer

Karl,

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

The EQ boosts the crap out of the highs and the lows.

How do they sound with and without EQ?

Without the EQ they sound midrangey - as you'd expect from a bunch of 3-1/2
inch drivers (or maybe they're 4 inches? - I forget). With the EQ they sound
like, well, you said you don't want a review.

--Ethan

Randy Yates

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com writes:

Karl,

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

The EQ boosts the crap out of the highs and the lows.

How do they sound with and without EQ?

Without the EQ they sound midrangey - as you'd expect from a bunch of 3-1/2
inch drivers (or maybe they're 4 inches? - I forget). With the EQ they sound
like, well, you said you don't want a review.

--Ethan

In my opinion, the Bose Model 901 is one of the most overrated speaker models ever
marketed.
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
Pooh Bear

Karl Uppiano wrote:

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

It boosts the bass and treble.

Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does the same
thing.

http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif

How do they
sound with and without EQ?

Like small 'radio speakers'.

Are they usable without the EQ?

No.

Graham

Geoff Wood

Pooh Bear wrote:
Karl Uppiano wrote:

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

It boosts the bass and treble.

Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does
the same thing.

http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif

How do they
sound with and without EQ?

Like small 'radio speakers'.

Correction. LIke small CHEAP radio speakers.

geoff

gregs

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:

Karl Uppiano wrote:

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

It boosts the bass and treble.

Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does the same
thing.

The 802 lower boost is higher in frequency, where the 901 peaks at 30 HZ
with an even higher boost level. If you additionally subtract a couple db at 300 Hz, they sound
better.

greg

http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif

How do they
sound with and without EQ?

Like small 'radio speakers'.

Are they usable without the EQ?

No.

Graham

Pooh Bear

gregs wrote:

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:

Karl Uppiano wrote:

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

It boosts the bass and treble.

Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does the same
thing.

The 802 lower boost is higher in frequency, where the 901 peaks at 30 HZ
with an even higher boost level. If you additionally subtract a couple db at 300 Hz, they sound
better.

I guess that'll be 'cos the 802s were intended for SR. Using that much boost @ 30Hz on an SR speaker
would invite instant disaster !

BTW, I had no preconception when Bose entered the market. I was curious when my local venue hosted the
band 'Alberto Y los Trios Paranoias' many decades back. Mid 70s maybe.

I had already heard that they were using a Bose P.A. and was interested to see the result.

The result accounts for the derision poured on Bose ever since by SR professionals.

The 'rig' was being used only for vocals.

There were several / many 802 cabs either side of the stage. Maybe 5 ( 1kW ? ) Bose amps each side too.

The clip leds were almost permanently lit ! Just on vocals ! And it was way quieter than most rock gigs I
ever went to ! Not just quieter, the balance was a joke too. The audience shuffled uncomfortably.

Basically totally pathetic.

Back then there was little to beat a good Martin rig. Arguably, those old designs would still hold their
own in audio quality terms in selected applications against more modern designs that are designed simply
to get in and out of the venue as fast as possible.

Bad live sound is just as ( if not more ) prevalent now as 30 yrs ago. Sad really.

Graham

Pooh Bear

gregs wrote:

If you extend that curve down to 30 Hz, you find the boost is 17 or 18 dB at
30 Hz. The 802 is only getting 12 dB boost, around 15 times the 1 kHz. power,
where the 901 is 60 times the power boost. So if your listening to music
with 1 or 2 watts in the midrange, a 30 Hz note will suck 60 to 120 watts.
I don't know the actual impedance of the speaker
at these frequencies.

Another entertaining titbit about 802s.

If you visit Wembley Loudspeakers - the UK's premier speaker reconing outfit - you will always
see a sad stack of 802 cabs with the cover off and the cones hanging out. This is because the
foam surround perishes and ultimately simply ceases to exist ! There is really almost nothing
good I can find to say about Bose, although the 'single drive unit' concept has an interesting
allure ( but not 8 / 9 drive units in a cabinet with their interference issues ).

The 'single driver' philosophy falls over since - amongst others - (a) a decent size cone
required to radiate bass effectively will cause HF beaming. (b) analysis of basic loudspeaker
theory shows that a driver can only work effectively over about 3 octaves and will roll off
either side with an LF 1st order and HF 2nd order characteristic ( courtesy my electro-acoustics
transducer course ).

Kinda expains why most 'good' speakers use 3 drivers dedicated to their respective frequency
ranges. Efficiency can be traded to a degree which is why 2 driver cabinets aren't all bad.

Graham

Alex Rodriguez

In article , -nospam
says...

Pooh Bear wrote:
Karl Uppiano wrote:

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

It boosts the bass and treble.

Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does
the same thing.

http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif

How do they
sound with and without EQ?

Like small 'radio speakers'.

Correction. LIke small CHEAP radio speakers.

What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.
-----------------
Alex

Isaac Wingfield

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article , -nospam
says...

Pooh Bear wrote:
Karl Uppiano wrote:

Does anyone know what the equalizer does for the Bose 901s?

It boosts the bass and treble.

Here's a link for the controller for the 802 - which basically does
the same thing.

http://audiorail.home.comcast.net/802_controller.gif

How do they
sound with and without EQ?

Like small 'radio speakers'.

Correction. LIke small CHEAP radio speakers.

What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.

Bose story:

Some years ago, a friend had a couple of 901's and a Crown DC-300
(that's the output wattage rating) to drive them. He complained to me
that they sounded "pretty good" but he couldn't get them to play very
loud. He wondered ifthere was something wrong with the amp. I told him
that, among it's many other problems, the 901s had absolutely wretched
efficiency. He disagreed.

I inivited him to bring the amp over to my place. I had (still have) a
couple of Klipschorns. The DC-300 driving the K-Horns generated an
absolutely *stunning* sound pressure level in my fairly large living
room -- you could yell and not be able to hear yourself. I had to use a
tape deck for source, because the turntable was susceptable to acoustic
feedback at the levels involved. There was intermodulation distortion,
but if you stuck your fingers in your ears, it would go away, because it
was being generated *in your ears*.

He went away convinced that 901's were not very good speakers after all.

Isaac
TonyP

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.

Not true! They are small, crappy, *expensive* speakers.

TonyP.

Codifus

Isaac Wingfield wrote:
In article ,
Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article , -nospam
says...

Pooh Bear wrote:

Karl Uppiano wrote:

[...]

That's a wee bit of an unfair comparison because Klipschorns tend to be
extremely efficient speakers. They'll make a 10 watt amplifier sound loud.

CD
Pooh Bear

TonyP wrote:

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.

Not true! They are small, crappy, *expensive* speakers.

Surely you mean they are small cheap speakers sold for an expensive
price ?

Graham

TonyP

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
TonyP wrote:

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.

Not true! They are small, crappy, *expensive* speakers.

Surely you mean they are small cheap speakers sold for an expensive
price ?

Not at all. Look up *CHEAP* in the dictionary, you will find that "cheap"
and "expensive price" are mutually exclusive terms.

TonyP.

ansermetniac

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:59:16 -0400, Alex Rodriguez

says...

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
TonyP wrote:

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.

Not true! They are small, crappy, *expensive* speakers.

Surely you mean they are small cheap speakers sold for an expensive
price ?

Not at all. Look up *CHEAP* in the dictionary, you will find that "cheap"
and "expensive price" are mutually exclusive terms.

An average widget sells for $10. I buy a widget for $2 and I sell it to
you for $100. Is that a cheap widget or an expensive widget?
--------------
Alex

Both
Cheap in quality
Expensive in price

Abbedd
Pooh Bear

TonyP wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
TonyP wrote:

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
What did you expect? They are small, cheap speakers.

Not true! They are small, crappy, *expensive* speakers.

Surely you mean they are small cheap speakers sold for an expensive
price ?

Not at all. Look up *CHEAP* in the dictionary, you will find that "cheap"
and "expensive price" are mutually exclusive terms.

Where does Br Boses' profit come from methinks !

Graham

Pooh Bear

Don wrote:

I once was a stereo salesman, and sold Bose speakers. The mark-up was twice
that of some other brands. I didn't like the Bose speakers, but if a customer
wanted to hear them, I'd demo them. If they wanted to buy them, I'd sell them.
But only after demoing AR, JBL, Infiniti etc. Some people just have poor
taste, and/or are brainwashed by the Bose reputation.

Don't you mean the Bose *religion* ?

Graham

religion overcomes all - so they say - you have to believe to errr... believe

TonyP

"ansermetniac" wrote in message
Both
Cheap in quality
Expensive in price

NO. *LOW* in quality, expensive in price. Better do 3rd grade English again
:-)

TonyP.

TonyP

"Don" wrote in message
and/or are brainwashed by the Bose reputation.

Is that the one that goes : "No highs, No lows, must be a Bose"?

TonyP.

TonyP

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Where does Br Boses' profit come from methinks !

Selling crap at an *expensive price* rather than a cheap price?

TonyP.

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:43:45 +1000, "TonyP"
wrote:

An average widget sells for $10. I buy a widget for $2 and I sell it to
you for $100. Is that a cheap widget or an expensive widget?

See, even you agree it's one OR the other. You're just not sure which.

It's both. A cheap widget to you, an expensive widget to the punter.
It may also be a good widget, a bad widget or an adequate widget.
None of these are described by the words "cheap" or "expensive".

Certainly not in a context where value and price are both under
discussion.

Pooh Bear

normanstrong wrote:

It should be noted that the word "cheap" means low in price over in
the UK. In the US, the word carries an additional suggestion of low
in quality as well.

That is true to a degree also in the UK.

Often the word is used to mean *either* inexpensive or poor quality. Not
necessarily both at the same time. A context thing I guess.

Graham

Geoff Wood

Pooh Bear wrote:
normanstrong wrote:

It should be noted that the word "cheap" means low in price over in
the UK. In the US, the word carries an additional suggestion of low
in quality as well.

That is true to a degree also in the UK.

Often the word is used to mean *either* inexpensive or poor quality.
Not necessarily both at the same time. A context thing I guess.

Cheqap can imply great quality at a low price (it's in the inflection). But
Bose are not cheap (price) but cheap (quality).

geoff

TonyP

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
normanstrong wrote:

It should be noted that the word "cheap" means low in price over in
the UK. In the US, the word carries an additional suggestion of low
in quality as well.

That is true to a degree also in the UK.

Often the word is used to mean *either* inexpensive or poor quality. Not
necessarily both at the same time. A context thing I guess.

Yes, the humpty dumpty defence. Nobody has quoted which dictionary they are
referring to so far.

TonyP.