Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

Default Need CLIPS for pairs of audio faders: Scott, Mike, others?

Can any of our audio gurus point me to a specialized piece of audio
"equipment," either pre-made or some obvious home-made solution?

In my PEG Access TV studio, most of the inputs to our audio mixer are
stereo, and they end up on two separate faders, panned L-R. I have
seen mixers with clips that make the two faders move as one. Any idea
where I could get some? (A primitive device which clips onto or is
screwed over a pair of faders).

I can anticipate the obvious question - what brand-model of mixer. I
don't know! We're currently using a 32-in Mackie and a similar
Behringer, but I plan to buy a new mixer, brand undetermined.

(I did a post here a few weeks ago about what mixer to get for a TV
studio with many stereo inputs. None of the research I've done has
turned up a suitable (and affordable) "broadcast board" (with many
stereo inputs), so I'll probably be using a monster recording/live
board.)

Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
obvious, even unavoidable.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
obvious, even unavoidable.

isn't that what gaffers tape was made for?

:-)

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Can any of our audio gurus point me to a specialized piece of audio
"equipment," either pre-made or some obvious home-made solution?

In my PEG Access TV studio, most of the inputs to our audio mixer are
stereo, and they end up on two separate faders, panned L-R. I have
seen mixers with clips that make the two faders move as one. Any idea
where I could get some? (A primitive device which clips onto or is
screwed over a pair of faders).

We always made our own. Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. Explain to them that you want
it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

I can anticipate the obvious question - what brand-model of mixer. I
don't know! We're currently using a 32-in Mackie and a similar
Behringer, but I plan to buy a new mixer, brand undetermined.

They will be different for every mixer. I have some for API 440s
somewhere around if you happen to have an old API console.

(I did a post here a few weeks ago about what mixer to get for a TV
studio with many stereo inputs. None of the research I've done has
turned up a suitable (and affordable) "broadcast board" (with many
stereo inputs), so I'll probably be using a monster recording/live
board.)

I think this will be a mistake, because you will find it is easier to
mess things up on a big general purpose console because there are so many
more control and more routing features. And there are a lot of used
broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
obvious, even unavoidable.

Have you considered mono? It's the future, you know.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Nov 20, 2:07*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
wrote:
Can any of our audio gurus point me to a specialized piece of audio
"equipment," either pre-made or some obvious home-made solution?

In my PEG Access TV studio, most of the inputs to our audio mixer are
stereo, and they end up on two separate faders, panned L-R. I have
seen mixers with clips that make the two faders move as one. Any idea
where I could get some? (A primitive device which clips onto or is
screwed over a pair of faders).

We always made our own. *Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. *Explain to them that you want
it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

I may have to, if nobody else has another source. I don't know why
Markertek doesn't have them, or even Mackie themselves.

I can anticipate the obvious question - what brand-model of mixer. I
don't know! We're currently using a 32-in Mackie and a similar
Behringer, but I plan to buy a new mixer, brand undetermined.

They will be different for every mixer. *I have some for API 440s
somewhere around if you happen to have an old API console.

(I did a post here a few weeks ago about what mixer to get for a TV
studio with many stereo inputs. None of the research I've done has
turned up a suitable (and affordable) "broadcast board" (with many
stereo inputs), so I'll probably be using a monster recording/live
board.)

I think this will be a mistake, because you will find it is easier to
mess things up on a big general purpose console because there are so many
more control and more routing features.

On the other hand, they come in handy for mix minuses, and fixing eq
issues. And best of all, I can get beaucoups of channels, cheap.

*And there are a lot of used
broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm but a
few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in, but it's
developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out (of everything)
intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used vectorscope, and it
exploded the first day (well, it smoked and burned up.)

Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
obvious, even unavoidable.

Have you considered mono? *It's the future, you know.

Let me answer, mono y mono: I'm having enough trouble trying to get
everything digital and HDTV, as it is!

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

What the heck does this translate to?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
On Nov 20, 2:07=A0pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
We always made our own. =A0Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. =A0Explain to them that you w=

ant
it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

I may have to, if nobody else has another source. I don't know why
Markertek doesn't have them, or even Mackie themselves.

Because no two consoles are the same. And sometimes you need to move
more than two channels at a time, too, which usually us a pencil and
rubber band kind of operation.

=A0And there are a lot of used
broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm but a
few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in, but it's
developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out (of everything)
intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used vectorscope, and it
exploded the first day (well, it smoked and burned up.)

I don't think I have bought more than one or two new items (more than
a patch cord anyway) in the past thirty years. Just about everything here
is used. I don't see any reason to pay new prices. But I also wouldn't
buy disposable gear used.... by the time it sells used, its short lifetime
is over.
--scott

"C'est un Nagra. =A0C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

What the heck does this translate to?

"It's a Nagra. It's Swiss, and very very precise." It's a misquote from
the film Diva, but by the time I found I had misquoted it, I'd been using
it for fifteen years and it was too late to change.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

wrote:
On Nov 20, 2:07 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
wrote:

snip

And there are a lot of used
broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

It's been said--and refuted, to some degree--but you get what you pay for.

My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm but a
few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in, but it's
developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out (of everything)
intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used vectorscope, and it
exploded the first day (well, it smoked and burned up.)

Scott's not talking about buying already-marginal, used, MI-grade junk.
He referenced professional *broadcast quality* gear; most of which has
been professionally maintained over its lifetime...and specifically
built for the application you describe. You consistently ignore the
recommendations made here and come back looking for more...which you
then criticize.

Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
obvious, even unavoidable.

Gaff a pencil onto the two faders. Problem solved.

Have you considered mono? It's the future, you know.

Let me answer, mono y mono: I'm having enough trouble trying to get
everything digital and HDTV, as it is!

What the heck does this translate to?

Reference the link below....

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=google+translate

jak
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Jack wrote:

My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm
but a few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in,
but it's developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out
(of everything) intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used
vectorscope, and it exploded the first day (well, it smoked and

burned up.)
Scott's not talking about buying already-marginal, used, MI-grade
junk. He referenced professional *broadcast quality* gear; most of
which has been professionally maintained over its lifetime...and
specifically built for the application you describe.

Jack's right on the money with this. tHe Mackie Behringer
stuff is not designed for your application, is often not
professionally maintained. By the time you buy it used,
it's a bick lighter. throw the sucker away.

IN fact, pro bc gear would be easier for your "amateurs" to
get their heads around. THey don't have to remember wtf aux
bus is or similar terminology. THe sucker is labeled,
control room, etc.

IF you need oodles of channels cheap, then get you a Mackie
or Behringer and run it as a side car, but give your
"amateur" volunteers a chance to figure out what's what by
providing a regular broadcast console for master control.

Have you considered mono? It's the future, you know.

Let me answer, mono y mono: I'm having enough trouble trying to
get everything digital and HDTV, as it is!

ANd most folks who are going to watch "public access tv" are
watching in mono anyway. dO you listen to your air chain
for mono compatability, or do you not bother with that?

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

Great audio is never heard by the average person, but bad
audio is heard by everyone.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
We always made our own. Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. Explain to them that you want
it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

I may have to, if nobody else has another source. I don't know why
Markertek doesn't have them, or even Mackie themselves.

As you have tacitly admitted yourself, it depends on exactly which
equipment you have, and even which sliders you are wanting to join.
It is easy enough to mill out a chunk of aluminum with slots of the
apprporiate size and spacing. But only AFTER you know what
the size and spacing are.

I would propose that people with your application aren't using Mackie
(or other MI) mixers, but rather more broadcast-like equipment (which
doesn't need stereo knobs) such as Mr Dorsey is suggesting. That would
explain the lack of commercially-available knobs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] blackburst@aol.com is offline

Wow, I stepped on a nerve.

I do appreciate the advice (I respect Scott, that's why I asked for
him in the title.) I did take Scott's advice and looked up broadcast
boards. I found them very expensive, and lacking in some of the
features common to rec/live mixers. (At my news network job, I use a
Wheatstone D9 - very cool, but way too expensive.) As I say, I've been
burned on used stuff, some of it serious broadcast gear. It's hard to
get past that.

As for cost, it is hard to sell my Board of Directors on an $8k board
when they say "You can buy a big board for $2k!"

The dowel/pencil idea was one of the things I was looking for. That
just might work.

And yes, I do check mono compatibility! I came into TV from the audio
world about 25 years ago.

Just asking for info. No need to bite my head off. Yes, I run an
access corp, but I work in grownup TV, too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2008-11-20 said:
Wow, I stepped on a nerve.

NOT knowing your background Jack and I may have come off a
bit harsh, but I don't find the Mackie/Behringer stuff that
much value for money, but, you and your board of directors
have to make that call g.

The dowel/pencil idea was one of the things I was looking for. That
just might work.

Yep, just might, I"ve seen it used for this before.

And yes, I do check mono compatibility! I came into TV from the
audio world about 25 years ago.

Cool! SOme don't and it always bugs me when they don't and
I"m sitting in a motel room somewhere trying to listen to
something on a mono tv, which is the only time i pay any
attention to a television.

Just asking for info. No need to bite my head off. Yes, I run an

Understood. WE get all skill and experience levels here,
and access tv and the volunteer world are notorious for
trying to make every fastener a nail because the only tools
they see available are hammers.

Regards,

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

a good captain is hoisting his first drink in a bar
when the storm hits
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

On Nov 20, 10:41*am, " wrote:
[...]

Check out the Yamaha LS9-32 digital mixer. It has 2 expansion slots
that you can eventually add a couple of adat cards to add another 16
channels of mic pres or you can add two 8 ch line input cards for
another 16 channels of line ins. You can the pair and un-pair or group
faders as the project determines and store the setting to make
templates of certain setups. Right out of the box it's a 32 in/16 out
digital mixer for about $10k.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2008-11-20 said:
* *Wow, I stepped on a nerve.
NOT knowing your background Jack and I may have come off a
bit harsh, but I don't find the Mackie/Behringer stuff that
much value for money, but, you and your board of directors
have to make that call g.

Most of my Directors are just average townies: retired police officer,
retired accountant, nurse, janitor, wedding video guy, but one of them
is manager of a regional news network, and he has very strong tecnical
opinions. The 32-in Mackie was purchased from his network, at his
urging (which now has an intermittent left channel dropout, and some
really hinky faders and buttons). When he techno-speaks, all of the
others are wowed, and I have to accommodate that. Worst thing is that
he leads me in some direction, I do the research, then he changes his
mind and humiliates me for looking in that direction!

* *The dowel/pencil idea was one of the things I was looking for. That
* *just might work.
Yep, just might, I"ve seen it used for this before.

Somehwere I saw some (custom-made, I guess) metal screwed-on clips.

* *And yes, I do check mono compatibility! I came into TV from the
* *audio world about 25 years ago.

Cool! *SOme don't and it always bugs me when they don't and
I"m sitting in a motel room somewhere trying to listen to
something on a mono tv, which is the only time i pay any
attention to a television.

BT (before television) I was a home recordist and recording studio
lizard. Even though I'm out-of-the-loop on certain current audio
trends, I still know the basics very well. It was BATTLE to get the
cable provider to allow me to broadcast in stereo. Now, despite their
aggressive marketing of digital and hi-def cable service, I'm having a
devil of a time getting them to accept my HD-SDI signals for our 4 TV
channels.

* *Just asking for info. No need to bite my head off. Yes, I run an
Understood. *WE get all skill and experience levels here,
and access tv and the volunteer world are notorious for
trying to make every fastener a nail because the only tools
they see available are hammers.

There are some of us out here who are not Wayne's World, or two-chairs-
and-a-plant. My channels are often held up as good examples. In all
humility, I haven't looked for a job for about 20 years. They keep
being offered to me.

Right now, I'm a juggler, trying to keep all the balls in the air:
Trying to spend some decent money but not look like a freewheeler,
trying to please Board, towns, viewers, volunteers and myself. So far,
everybody is pleased with my digtal hi-def rebuild: razor-sharp eye-
candy, but way under budget. So yeah, I'm very fussy about the audio
quality.

As I stated, my goal here is get a board that will be easy for the
much-maligned volunteers to use, but offer lots of potential for those
of us who know a lot of audio tricks. We did a show last night: live
from 3 locations, proper mix-minuses via phone to the satellite
locations, viewer phone-in, cuts to another network, live band, 6
talent, IFBs (some wireless), the whole schmear. It actually worked.
We didn't have the CNN Hologram, though...

Regards,

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
*Historical review of Pennsylvania

a good captain is hoisting his first drink in a bar
when the storm hits

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2008-11-21 said:
Most of my Directors are just average townies: retired police
officer, retired accountant, nurse, janitor, wedding video guy, but
one of them is manager of a regional news network, and he has very
strong tecnical opinions. The 32-in Mackie was purchased from his
network, at his urging (which now has an intermittent left channel
dropout, and some really hinky faders and buttons). When he
techno-speaks, all of the others are wowed, and I have to
accommodate that. Worst thing is that he leads me in some direction,
I do the research, then he changes his mind and humiliates me for
looking in that direction!

THat always sucks. In my nonaudio life I do a lot of work
with emergency response agencies and volunteer
communicators, much the same battle. WRong tool for the
job, purchased because it glitters, or has all these cool
features that some guy who is a casual operator but a friend
of the boss dog likes.
THerefore, I'm real familar with the battle you face. We
just keep pluggin' along though g.

BT (before television) I was a home recordist and recording studio
lizard. Even though I'm out-of-the-loop on certain current audio
trends, I still know the basics very well. It was BATTLE to get the
cable provider to allow me to broadcast in stereo. Now, despite
their aggressive marketing of digital and hi-def cable service, I'm
having a devil of a time getting them to accept my HD-SDI signals
for our 4 TV channels.

HOpe you educate your other board ops on this as well g.

I did one foray into public access cable tv, and that waas
helping out a buddy of mine in Fairfield IOwa, now deceased.
Iirc we ended up getting him a dbx 160 for compressor for
when the need arose. Iirc he was running the whole thing
off a very ancient Peavey board, then they sprung for him a
Mackie 1202 vlz.

There are some of us out here who are not Wayne's World, or
two-chairs- and-a-plant. My channels are often held up as good
examples. In all humility, I haven't looked for a job for about 20
years. They keep being offered to me.
Right now, I'm a juggler, trying to keep all the balls in the air:
Trying to spend some decent money but not look like a freewheeler,
trying to please Board, towns, viewers, volunteers and myself. So
far, everybody is pleased with my digtal hi-def rebuild:
razor-sharp eye- candy, but way under budget. So yeah, I'm very
fussy about the audio quality.

AS was dIck, and that's why he brought me in. I'd ride the
bus from BUrlington Iowa where I lived, camp at dIck's for
the night and help him get up to speed on things audio. I
lost track of the operation after DIck had his prolonged
bout with cancer, so don't know if things improved or
deteriorated back to "two chairs and a plant" g.

As I stated, my goal here is get a board that will be easy for the
much-maligned volunteers to use, but offer lots of potential for
those of us who know a lot of audio tricks. We did a show last
night: live from 3 locations, proper mix-minuses via phone to the
satellite locations, viewer phone-in, cuts to another network, live
band, 6 talent, IFBs (some wireless), the whole schmear. It
actually worked. We didn't have the CNN Hologram, though...

SOunds like a lot of fun, and good luck in your quest g.

REgards,

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Most of my Directors are just average townies: retired police officer,
retired accountant, nurse, janitor, wedding video guy, but one of them
is manager of a regional news network, and he has very strong tecnical
opinions. The 32-in Mackie was purchased from his network, at his
urging (which now has an intermittent left channel dropout, and some
really hinky faders and buttons). When he techno-speaks, all of the
others are wowed, and I have to accommodate that. Worst thing is that
he leads me in some direction, I do the research, then he changes his
mind and humiliates me for looking in that direction!

See, in that kind of situation I'd talk with him and ask him if he can
get his network take the flaky console back.

When you buy junk, you just have to buy something else a little bit down
the road, and people need to know that. It helps if you describe it as
"the Yugo of mixing consoles."

=A0 =A0The dowel/pencil idea was one of the things I was looking for. Th=

at
=A0 =A0just might work.
Yep, just might, I"ve seen it used for this before.

Somehwere I saw some (custom-made, I guess) metal screwed-on clips.

I have seen 'em in a bunch of places. You can make your own, it won't
cost a lot and it can work very well. I have also seen some that were
whittled out of basswood.