George

Default computer restarts when I use microphone

Hi!
My computer restarts if I try to record voice with the microphone.
Sound Hardware Test in Control Panel that also stopped and restarted
computer gave the following:
Your sound hardware cannot simultaneously play sounds and capture your
voice. You can hear other people while using voice chat but they
cannot hear you.
After Safe Install and trying to record voice I've got the following
message:
Another application is recording audio. Stop recording with this other
application and then try to record sound recorder again.
Task Manager showed that time the following processes (no application
was shown):taskmgr, explorer, svchost(twice), lsass,
services,winlogon, csrss, smss, system, system idle process.
I don't know any other application on my computer that can record
sound with microphone.
My computer is Pentium III, 1 GHz, 256Mb RAM, SoundBlaster Creative
Audio PCI(ES1371,1373). OS is Windows XP Professional.
I have changed three different sound card drivers with no good result.
My computer came to me from Dell with Windows Me and everything was
all right even with microphone. Then I did not use microphone for a
long time and upgraded to Windows XP Pro so driver was obviously
changed. I returned to the old driver too.
Any help will be appreciated.
Jerry Greenberg

There are issues with the DELL bios. Check with DELL if there are any
bios upgrades able to be done, or available for XP. Or, see if the
SoundBlaster people have a solution for the DELL. The bios level in
your machine is much before the XP technology. DELL, also uses their
own variation of mother boards and etc.

Note: XP is optimised for the 4P technology, and performs best with
this level of technology. When using XP, all the drivers must be rated
for XP. XP will not support many of the DOS function calls that many
drivers and many softwares use. Therefore, there will be performance
problems.

As for RAM, XP will perform with 256 m, but 512 m or more is much
better.

Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com

--

(George) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Arny Krueger

"George" wrote in message
om

My computer restarts if I try to record voice with the microphone.

More like it crashes and restarts when you try to put its sound card into
record mode.

Sound Hardware Test in Control Panel that also stopped and restarted
computer gave the following:
Your sound hardware cannot simultaneously play sounds and capture your
voice. You can hear other people while using voice chat but they
cannot hear you.
After Safe Install and trying to record voice I've got the following
message:
Another application is recording audio. Stop recording with this other
application and then try to record sound recorder again.
Task Manager showed that time the following processes (no application
was shown):taskmgr, explorer, svchost(twice), lsass,
services,winlogon, csrss, smss, system, system idle process.

Sounds like your computer thinks that your sound card can't record and play
at the same time.

I don't know any other application on my computer that can record
sound with microphone.

Even the sound recorder applet in accessories?

My computer is Pentium III, 1 GHz, 256Mb RAM, SoundBlaster Creative
Audio PCI(ES1371,1373). OS is Windows XP Professional.
I have changed three different sound card drivers with no good result.

There's some chance that the sound card is defective. This is an Ensoniq
AudioPCI clone sound interface that you've got, and when working properly,
it is capable of recording and playing at the same time.

My computer came to me from Dell with Windows Me and everything was
all right even with microphone. Then I did not use microphone for a
long time and upgraded to Windows XP Pro so driver was obviously
changed. I returned to the old driver too.

Any help will be appreciated.

Seems like either the card is bad or the driver is bad. Maybe there is an
IRQ conflict. What about moving the sound card to a different PCI slot. Is
there a more recent driver at Windows Update?