Sockpuppet Yustabe

Default Magazine Statitistics

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:27:51 -0500, George M. Middius
wrote:

You're right that there are different speeds of rotation. 33-1/3 rpm
refers to the edge of the LP. If the disk were only 6" in diameter, it
would spin at a lower rate and we'd refer to its speed as 16-2/3.

You are a total ignoramus Gorge, it's 33.33 rpm all over the disc.
There is *one* rotational speed - 33.33 rpm.

CD of course is different, since it's a constant linear velocity disc,
not constant angular velocity. Hence, it spins slower towards the end
of the album.
--

You are confusing the speed variation along the radius with speed variation
over the passage of time. And you are confusing RPM with speed.

This whole issue is clouded by semantics, where some people mistakenly
take RPM to be the speed. Example: The speed for a point one inch away form
the center
is 3.14 x 33.33, or 104.6562 inches per minute. For a point two inches out
from the center, it
is 12.56 x 33.33, or 418.6248 inches per minute, given a rotational 'rate'
of 33.33 RPM's

Mr. Physics

In article ,
George M. Middius writes:

dave weil said:

BTW, it *still* doesn't really make sense, but I guess I'm stupid for
admitting that. Or human.

It doesn't? Hmmm.....

You're right that there are different speeds of rotation. 33-1/3 rpm
refers to the edge of the LP. If the disk were only 6" in diameter, it
would spin at a lower rate and we'd refer to its speed as 16-2/3.

If that's true then why don't turntables have a different setting for
different size records?

The "R" in RPM stands for revolutions, not feet or inches. It means
it spins 33 1/3 times around per minute. If you were to suspend a
string from the center of the platter to the edge and then draw a
point anywhere on the platter, the point would cross the line 33 1/3
times each minute no matter where you drew it. It's a rotational or
angular speed, not a linear speed. The linear speed is proportional
to the angular speed times the distance from the center.

chung

wrote:

You're right that there are different speeds of rotation. 33-1/3 rpm
refers to the edge of the LP. If the disk were only 6" in diameter, it
would spin at a lower rate and we'd refer to its speed as 16-2/3.

You are a total ignoramus Gorge, it's 33.33 rpm all over the disc.
There is *one* rotational speed - 33.33 rpm.

CD of course is different, since it's a constant linear velocity disc,
not constant angular velocity. Hence, it spins slower towards the end
of the album.
--

You are confusing the speed variation along the radius with speed variation
over the passage of time. And you are confusing RPM with speed.

Seems like you're the one who is really confused. Read the posts
carefully. They all say speed of rotation, or rotational speed. It's
perfectly OK to state rotational speed in rpm.

By speed we mean the distance travelled per second, at any particular
point along the radius.Obviously, for a point farther along the radius from
the center, the
longer the circumference travelled in one revolution, for that point.
Thus, for any given period of time, a point farther along the radius from
the center travels
farther, thus has a greater speed.

This whole issue is clouded by semantics, where some people mistakenly
take RPM to be the speed.

You're the only one who's mistaken, it seems, as the following shows.

Example: The speed for a point one inch away form
the center
is 3.14 x 33.33, or 104.6562 inches per minute.

Circumference = 2*pi*r. Not really that hard to remember.

For a point two inches out
from the center, it
is 12.56 x 33.33, or 418.6248 inches per minute, given a rotational 'rate'
of 33.33 RPM's

The linear speed is proportional to radius, or distance to center of
circle. Not really that hard to remember. At 2 inches away, linear speed
should be *twice* the value at 1 inch away.

Lionel

wrote:

[...]

You should try to explain them why on grindstone you must install a
speed adjustement. I know that they like nice knifes perhaps it will be
easier than with music. ;-)

dave weil

On 6 Jan 2004 23:28:31 GMT, Mr. Physics wrote:

In article ,
George M. Middius writes:

dave weil said:

[...]

Thank you Mr. Physics.

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

RPM is conmstant,

Nothing is "conmstant".

speed for any particular point on the radius is NOT.

In the real world intelligent people speak of rotational speed and linear
speed.

The rotational speed of a LP is supposed to be 33 1/3 rpm. However the
linear speed of the groove referenced to the stylus varies with the tracking
radius.

Don't confuse RPM with speed.

Since rotational speed is a legitimate concept, RPM and speed can be
synonymous.

The speed, in inches per second, varies with the distance from the

center.

That would be linear speed.

Your confusion lied not with the principles, of which I am
sure you understand, but iinstead lies with the semantics.

There is nothing that is "iinstead".

Sockpuppet, not only can't you spell worth a hill of beans, but you also
haven't got a clue about the generally-accepted semantics for this topic.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
[...]

I can't type worth beans, and neither can you.
that is why I don't bother to point out
all of your errors. Another reason is that it
is much more important to focus on your orther shortcomings,
such as your being an ignoramus, a liar, and an asshole.

dave weil

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:36:39 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Sockpuppet, not only can't you spell worth a hill of beans

Well, you can't either. What's yer point?
dave weil

wrote:

Sockpuppet, not only can't you spell worth a hill of beans

Well, you can't either. What's yer point?
dave weil

wrote:

Sockpuppet, not only can't you spell worth a hill of beans

Well, you can't either. What's yer point?
dave weil

wrote:

Sockpuppet, not only can't you spell worth a hill of beans

Well, you can't either. What's yer point?

Tony Pearce

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
What a maroon.

Yes he's probably red in the face by now with embarsment at his stupidity.
Then again he's probably too stupid to realise it.

One of many. Gosh Weil, I wish I would have figured out you were this

stupid
and block-headed 3 years ago.

That's a sad admission in itself Arny.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

Sockpuppet, not only can't you spell worth a hill of beans

Well, you can't either. What's yer point?

That I make a heck of a lot less typos than you bozos with the cheap
newsreaders that lack spell-checkers.

Magazine Statitistics John Atkinson Audio Opinions 409 February 5th 04 02:22 AM
Saddam/Time Magazine EggHd Pro Audio 35 December 21st 03 07:13 PM
Remove magazine from Sony CDX-656 changer Bruce Car Audio 1 December 5th 03 02:08 PM
- TAS magazine Website Updated - Steven R. Rochlin Audio Opinions 1 July 24th 03 05:18 AM
FA: Matrix sound design magazine (this might interest some of you) Eamon Pro Audio 0 July 8th 03 03:12 PM