Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
polymod polymod is offline

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/17/2010 6:42 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one
side we have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being
Served?" (which I despise); on the other are those who like Benny
Hill. I'm in the latter camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total
slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

You really shouldn't dis 'Are You Being Served ?' It was an absolute
classic up there with the likes of Fawlty Towers ... The double entendre
with things like Mrs Slocombe's pussy, were really quite risque for

British
TV at the time. Although I used to really enjoy Benny Hill for its pure
slapstick, the humour was much cruder than that of AYBS.

Well, not to belabor the point *too* much, but Fawlty Towers was
absolutely sublime compared to either one of those other two shows.

Do we have any "Vicar of Dibley" fans?
Still one of my favorite shows.

And I have to hand it to your Brits: there has never been *anything* on
television to equal "The Prisoner", and I doubt there will be in my
lifetime.

Agreed. as a matter of fact I liked the show so much I named my debut CD
after it

Cheers!

Poly

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Cleese said the episodes were basically written on a week-
by week basis, and took on average no more than 10 minutes
to conceive and structure, and produce the scripted dialogue for.

I suspect it took longer to come up with the anagram.

"Fawlty Towers" was a good series, but not up to the best British and
American sitcoms. My favorite was "Basil the Rat" [sic], but that's probably
because I like sweet li'l critters.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

snip

Again, the actual humour in Fawlty Towers was not that
'classic'. It worked so well because it was written by
Cleese himself, in conjunction with Connie Booth, with whom
I understand he was having a relationship. The 'supporting'
actors were chosen carefully to 'fit in', and did so
admirably well. Much of the individual episodes were also
ad-lib'd at the time of shooting, and according to a
documentary I saw about the making of it, most scenes were
little - if any at all - rehearsed. Cleese said that the
episodes were basically written on a week by week basis,
and took on average no more than 10 minutes to conceive and
structure, and produce the scripted dialogue for. So what
was actually produced, is a testament to the writing,
acting, and creativity skills of the main characters.

Interestingly, there was only ever 12 episodes. Everyone
always thinks that there was a lot more. Prunella Scales
was actually amused by it all. She said that over a very
long career, she has played many many parts in TV, film and
theatre, including some really 'heavyweight' parts. And yet
the one thing that she is always remembered for, is her
part as the long suffering wife of Basil ...

Thanks for the interesting info. I believe those 6 hrs or so are
among the most brilliant stuff ever made for the idiot box in
ANY country ever - and I am familiar with TV in several very
different countries.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
George Jetson[_2_] George Jetson[_2_] is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Klaatu" wrote in message
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for
Chaplin ...)

And where do those who like "Absolutely Fabulous" fit in?

Ab Fab was a very 'special' kind of humour that would only ever have
worked with those four main characters, who sparked off each other in a
unique way. I think that this is often the case for why remakes, as well
as covers of classic songs, often don't work. The original story or song,
is written with an actor or set of actors or singer in mind, and because
of this, work well, and become classics. Often, you can hear a song or see
a film for the first time, and just know that it will still be playing in
30 years time.

There are of course exceptions to this, but they are so few as to
admirably prove the rule.

Arfa

Feck! don't forget father ted.

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"polymod" wrote in message

[...]

The Prisoner was another interesting one that I saw a documentary about.
McGoohan said that he originally conceived it as a sort of 'follow on' to
his character in the long running sixties series "Danger Man". However, he
never really had any clear idea exactly where it was going, and in fact it
took on a sort of life of its own, and started dragging him and the rest of
the writers with it, to the point where he had no idea how to end it. It
finally finished with the epic episode "Fallout", which I seem to recall was
a 'double' over two weeks. It's funny how it has also kept its appeal across
the generations. Some years back when my son was I guess probably about
fourteen, they showed it again in its entirety, and he was totally riveted
to it every week. This showed clearly that the story and character stood in
their own right, as he had never seen or heard of the original Danger Man
character.

I really have no idea why anyone should have thought that they could remake
this iconic series, taking liberties with the original plotline, and setting
it in Africa, with an American as the central character. The original
setting of the folly village of Portmeirion in north Wales, was central to
the concept, and could never be successfully changed.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

One of my favorite Benny Hill sequences was the one where he was the movie
director, and the scene was a couple in a gazebo. He told them to kiss, and
then told her to look down, (demurely) and say, "And what is this thing
called, "love".

So: Camera....Action....And they kiss, and she looks down and says, (in a
heavy cockney accent) "And what is THIS thing called, love?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
polymod polymod is offline

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"polymod" wrote in message

[...]

Hehe...if you mean Herbie, no it's not that "Prisoner". I wish

Poly

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/18/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

The Prisoner was another interesting one that I saw a documentary about.
McGoohan said that he originally conceived it as a sort of 'follow on' to
his character in the long running sixties series "Danger Man".

[snip]

.... which was called "Secret Agent Man" over here in the U.S. Good show,
very well conceived and put together, but of course lacking the
surrealism that made The Prisoner so great.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"polymod" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"polymod" wrote in message

[...]

Thought that was too good to be true ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp Hot Spot PA5X140 Spot Monitor

I'm dredging up this old subject from 2010 which isn't really worthy of
reading since it's mostly personal attack exchanges, but the point worth
mentioning* is:

Remove the 6 front panel screws AND 1 screw in the back *plus the nut on the
1/4" jack.

The reason I was looking for looking for info regarding this unit (already
had it opened) is because I bought one today for $10US.
I routinely open and inspect any used equipment before I apply power.. just
a habit, although I usually can't resist opening new equipment either, after
I've used it for a while.

A schematic is available at Galaxy Audio's site
http://galaxyaudio.com/schematics.php

The seller said this unit was for parts/repair, and that it had been working
fine for years, then suddenly didn't.

Inspection hasn't been very thorough yet, although I didn't notice any
fuses, but also didn't notice anything burnt.
I saw pics of a board which had a burnt circuit trace on the large board
near where the edge of the board makes an inside corner and is close to the
speaker magnet.

There are a couple of spots of heat-induced discoloration around the leads
of D21 & 22, but it's minor.
These diodes are tied to/across the plus and minus supplies from the PSU.

In addition to the 15V supplies, there are also +/- 23V and +/- 50V
supplies.

A description of the unit states it's a Class H amplifier with 4 output Qs..
2 for low voltage (always in use), and 2 for high voltage which kick in when
demand exceeds the capacity of the LV pair.

--
Cheers,
WB

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get the
damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little unit,
with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic
(polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to
this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the chassis has 6
screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I still
can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case, thinking
there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck, and I didn't
want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

cracking/poppng sound simbill Car Audio 6 October 13th 05 04:46 PM
Floor makes cracking noise kleinebre Pro Audio 13 July 31st 05 12:34 AM
Galaxy 5000 RS - 2W Riptex Car Audio 0 December 21st 04 08:04 AM
Galaxy Hot Spot Sanbar Pro Audio 2 June 30th 04 01:51 PM