Jeff Miller

Default suggestions for MP3 + RDS receiver

Does anybody have any suggestions for a CD receiver that plays CD-R, CD-RW
MP3 and hopefully WMA as well. I can find lots of receivers that do this
but very few that also have Radio Data System (RDS) here in the US. I
believe Kenwood and perhaps Pioneer have some but they are in the $500+
range. I was hoping to keep the cost under $300.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

BTW: I am looking to put the receiver in a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500

Paul Vina

What's the bid deal with RDS? Very few stations support it and even fewer
manufacturers. Not to mention I don't believe there is a single unit on the
market that does all of what you want, especially at the price you want to
pay. Alpine and Pioneer both have mp3 and WMA players, but not with RDS.

Paul Vina

Pekka@K

Paul Vina wrote:
What's the bid deal with RDS? Very few stations support it and even
fewer manufacturers. Not to mention I don't believe there is a
single unit on the market that does all of what you want, especially
at the price you want to pay. Alpine and Pioneer both have mp3 and
WMA players, but not with RDS.

Well, here in Europe practically all radio stations use RDS and I don't
believe there's a single car radio on the market here that doesn't support
RDS. All major brands (Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Blaupunkt etc.) has
several models of cd receivers that meet Jeff's requirements (RDS, MP3,
WMA). Prices in Germany for example start from about 170 euros (some 215 $).
You're a bit backwards there in US, sorry

Jeff, check Pioneer's European models
http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/produ... omy_id=25-121
DEH-3600MP for example is cheap and is propably what you're looking for and
costs under 200 euros.

Cheers,

Pekka

Pekka@K

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
RDS is nothing but a second radio signal piggybacked onto the regular

signal
and contains whatever info the radio station sees fit to put out.

Well yes, that's partly true. But I think the major advantage of RDS is so
called AF flag which helps car radio to find the best channel frequency all
the time automatically. So basically you can drive 1000 miles and listen the
same (nation wide) radio station all the time without need to manually
adjust right MHz's. Also always correct time and date and radio station's
name is nice information on radio's screen. Sometimes you can see also the
name of artist and song currently playing. Facts about RDS you can find for
example he
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/rds.html
http://www.rds.org.uk/rds98/mainintroduction.htm

Pekka

Paul Vina

That's true, I forgot about the staion formatting. BUT the stations need to
be broadcasting that info. Stateside most of the stations w/RDS show only
call letters.

Paul Vina

"Pekka@K" wrote in message
"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

Who fabricates 8 Ohms speakers...? I can't find other except Sony... Faustino Dina General 40 December 19th 04 02:28 AM
NAD receiver Dan General 5 April 9th 04 11:58 AM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian General 15 February 20th 04 10:11 PM
Bose receiver broken and need alternate. Bill S. General 7 February 5th 04 12:31 PM
What brand of low end receiver to go with (Yamaha, Sony, etc) MarkW General 1 September 15th 03 12:10 PM