Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Issuing Past Music on Audio CD

I can't say I'm an expert on the subject, but I have enough evidence on CD to hear what is being issued. Actually, I have too many CDs, most all boxed up.

I use this Vanity Fare song from 1969 as evidence. Actually, it is more pointed at Vanity Fare's "Hitchin' A Ride" hit song, but I'll give you the history.

Both Rhino Records and Collectables Records issued Hitchin' A Ride on (various artists) CD. My ears tell me they both issued the same vinyl rip! I'm guessing it was Bill Inglot (of Rhino) who ripped the song from vinyl record.. Is that what type people I want issuing fine audio, a rip from a vinyl record? Really? No, I want real engineers who are honest and work with only master and/or multi-track tapes. Granted, most people don't care, all they need is to hear the song and they are happy. It was clear to my ears no magnetic tape master was used.

Later, I purchased a Collectables Vanity Fare CD. Magically, the vinyl artifact sound was gone! After I posted a snippet of Early In The Morning on my site, Bill Buster of Eric Records (Eric) was quick to issue it on his next Hard To Find CD series after scouring my web site (along with other song snippets I posted).

Speaking of Eric Record, I met Randy Price (associated to Eric) in usenet, finding me applauding Stereo renditions, but like some of the folks here, Randy didn't like me applauding, I was completion, so he made fun of me. Sound familiar?
But, Randy has helped me (later), so I can't really put him down, but one thing I'd never want to be associated with is Eric Records (of California).

Anyway, this is a favorite song of mine. Seems Larry Page (of Page One Records) is taking credit for Productions that others are (on his site). It's really hard to tell who produced what. Producing, to me, is just easy money, why most jump at the opportunity and sometimes (later) control recording w/o sending royalties to artists. Sad.

I'll have to track down the vinyl rip (on CD) of Hitching A Ride, this is from tape (from a UK EMI CD). Nice to hear it in stereo!..
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...rlymorning.mp3

Jack
p.s. The so called Audiophile, Steve Hoffman, is the same as the rest. When he and his business partner were told no tapes are available, Steve's quick to grab a vinyl record to issue on CD. Sad. (turned out tapes were available) I guess this is the new wave how to issue and support Made in USA quality.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 10:32:47 PM UTC-5, JackA wrote:
[...]

p.p.s. "I was completion" should be, I was competition!!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11-11-2015 04:32, JackA wrote:

p.s. The so called Audiophile, Steve Hoffman, is the same as the rest.
When he and his business partner were told no tapes are available,
Steve's quick to grab a vinyl record to issue on CD.

I would probably be the best choice anyway because it includes the final
stages of mastering done in the cutting. The oeuvre is the vinyl record
as that is what was released for public use and is approved by the
artist and/or producer. All other versions are intermediary stages.

- Peter Larsen