Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] maddoggiez@gmail.com is offline

Default MOSFET transistors

any idea where i can get the following MOSFETs?

1) A1102
0NY

2) C2577
09Y

3) C2578
30Y

4) A1103
38Y

The old ones in one of my amplifiers have blown....decided to have a
look into replacing them....

thanx

/\/\ad-Doggie
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote:

wrote:

any idea where i can get the following MOSFETs?

They're bipolars. As Francois has indicated.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 21, 2:31*pm, Tim Schwartz wrote:
wrote:
any idea where i can get the following MOSFETs?

1) A1102
* * *0NY

2) C2577
* * *09Y

3) C2578
* * *30Y

4) A1103
* * *38Y

The old ones in one of my amplifiers have blown....decided to have a
look into replacing them....

thanx

/\/\ad-Doggie

As the other posters said, these are NOT MOSFET's. *The full numbers are
2SA1102

2SA1103

2SC2577

2SC2578

The 1103/2578 are slightly more rugged than the 1102/2577, so I would
suggest using them. *The most rugged version of this family are the
2SA1106 and 2SC2581, which you could use in both channels. *They are the
highest voltage and current rating of the group. *They will NOT give
your amplifier more power. *Be aware that other parts could have failed too.

* * * * Because the amp has different output devices in each channel, I'd
assume that it has been serviced at least once before. *It might make
sense to know what the manufacturer intended. *also, you'll need to
adjust the bias and maybe offset, or your new transistors won't last
very long. *If you reply, please include the make and model of your amp..

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

OK...i was told that they had blown...so i took the amp apart and took
the codes directly off the four uh..MOSFETs.....and pretty much all
else you said i didnt understand too well...(bear in mind I'm 16)...
AMP model:
Sansui integrated DC servo amplifier A-7

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] maddoggiez@gmail.com is offline

On Nov 21, 3:13*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Tim Schwartz wrote:
wrote:
[...]

In particular, watch out for fusible (flameproof) resistors designed to open
under fault conditions.

Graham

I've had a look over the amp twice before....didn't look like
anything else was blown...but i will have a look again just to double
check.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Default MOSFET transistors (2nd take)

wrote:
any idea where i can get the following MOSFETs?

1) A1102
0NY

2) C2577
09Y

3) C2578
30Y

4) A1103
38Y

The old ones in one of my amplifiers have blown....decided to have a
look into replacing them....

thanx

/\/\ad-Doggie

Hello again,

Ok, the parts you are looking for are regular output transistors. I
would suggest that you try and get the 2SA1106 to replace both "A"
parts, and 2SC2581 for the "C" ones. One place to order them from is
MCM Electronics,
www.mcmelectronics.com. They are about $5 each.

However, just soldering them in might not fix your amp, and if there
are other problems the new transistors could fail right away. Do you
have an ohm meter or a digital multi meter? Do you have a teacher at
school, relative or a friend who has some experience in electronics?

While you can learn a lot here, having some guidance from someone with
experience will make it a lot less frustrating for you. You might even
ask if a local repair shop might be willing to help you out.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

Cool that you want to try to fix it. You'll need a little patience and
reasoning but it's not brain surgery. But doing it right is more
complicated than soldering in new parts and hoping that was it. I'd suggest
you get a schematic for it. You'll probably have to spend $10 or so for a
copy if you don't get lucky and find a free one. There are a number of
sites that sell pdf copies. If you don't have a vom meter you need one of
those too. Start by making sure you've got all the voltages out of the
power supply. A little high on the output stage is ok but the rest of the
voltages should be pretty close. The schematic should show the lines going
to the different sections of the amp and what voltage to expect. Always
check the power supply first.

Then if it has no sound output as from your post I'm guessing that is the
case you can go into the output section and start checking stuff. You
probably will need to lift a few legs of the output transistors to get good
meter readings on them and the surrounding circuitry. There is info on the
web about how to check a transistor with a meter. The surrounding circuitry
should be pretty simple and you should be able to find the fusables if it
has any. If it doesn't then there will probably be some low value resistors
in the output stage that you should check closely.

Typically a stereo will have 2 pairs of the same transistor. Because the
two channels are normally identical. They are almost all class ab push pull
amps. That you have 4 different ones is unusual. That's why the other
poster thought that someone may have been in there before. The schematic
should also have part numbers for these. Make sure the parts that are in
there are the parts it was built with. If possible you want to get the same
parts even though there may be others that are suitable. If you use
different output transistors then you need to look into the bias and idle
output current and I don't think you want to get that far into it.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:

Cool that you want to try to fix it. You'll need a little patience and
reasoning but it's not brain surgery. But doing it right is more
complicated than soldering in new parts and hoping that was it. I'd suggest
you get a schematic for it. You'll probably have to spend $10 or so for a
copy if you don't get lucky and find a free one.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...%20/%20A5.html

You'll need (Win)rar though. Trial versions are available.
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] maddoggiez@gmail.com is offline

On Nov 22, 11:21*am, Eeyore
OK...i was told that they had blown...

By whom ? Someone reliable or were they guessing ? Do you know how to test them ?

so i took the amp apart and took
the codes directly off the four uh..MOSFETs.....

Why did you think they were mosfets ? The Jap ones start (2S)J and (2S)K

and pretty much all
else you said i didnt understand too well...(bear in mind I'm 16)...
AMP model:
Sansui integrated DC servo amplifier A-7

Check out sci.electronics repair. You'll get good advice there and a few extra
tips no doubt. Mention your age too.

Graham

the person wasnt guessing...hes my father and hes worked on a fair
amount of electronics before...and it was his amp...so im guessing
that he blew something in it and knew about it
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] maddoggiez@gmail.com is offline

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...20/%20A7%20/%2...

You'll need (Win)rar though. Trial versions are available.http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Graham

well...thanx all for your help...ill have a look at it...i found the
transistors at a shop and im going to see how things go...will read
through the manual to make sure i know what im doing...but again...i
suppose my father would be the only one to know what blew because he
was the one that blew it

/\/\ad-Doggie
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
Cool that you want to try to fix it. You'll need a little patience and
reasoning but it's not brain surgery. But doing it right is more
complicated than soldering in new parts and hoping that was it. I'd suggest
you get a schematic for it. You'll probably have to spend $10 or so for a
copy if you don't get lucky and find a free one.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...20/%20A7%20/%2...

You'll need (Win)rar though. Trial versions are available.http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

well...thanx all for your help...ill have a look at it...i found the
transistors at a shop and im going to see how things go...will read
through the manual to make sure i know what im doing...but again...i
suppose my father would be the only one to know what blew because he
was the one that blew it

Is he an electronics expert ? It's quite common for bipolar output stages to suffer 'cascade
failure'. At least check the driver transistors.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] is offline

wrote:
[...]

Junk model, and failure prone. I'm not at all convinced this one is going
anywhere...

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 04:05:12 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

well...thanx all for your help...ill have a look at it...i found the
transistors at a shop and im going to see how things go...will read
through the manual to make sure i know what im doing...but again...i
suppose my father would be the only one to know what blew because he
was the one that blew it

Is he an electronics expert ? It's quite common for bipolar output stages to suffer 'cascade
failure'. At least check the driver transistors.

Everyone's trying real hard to remain positive here, so I'm loath
to add that failure of the output stages almost always causes
failure upstream, and that simply replacing output devices, and
leaving failed upstream devices, is a recipe for instant
catastrophic re-failure.

The OP needs two things not yet mentioned: the ability to
examine the current state of both the damaged the undamaged
channels, with an ability to compare and knowledge of likely
failure mechanisms (an I/V curve tracer and a friend, fer starters).

And a way to apply power to the "repaired" amplifier that
doesn't depend on the Hail Mary principle. This could be
either a Variac (in American parlance) or the old series'd
light bulb trick, 60 watts is probably right for this case.

But, WHEN, not if, the OP finds that there's more stuff wrong
than just the output devices, (s)he will need to learn how to
examine the whole amplifier with a critical eye, and that eye
is most usefully an I/V plot on a scope.

Repair of failed modern amplifiers is a matter of cutting away
cancer. You keep cutting until you don't find any more cancer.
But you can't leave *ANY* cancer, or the patient will die.

Then, when all testable, observable failures have been repaired,
the whole amplifier must *still* be brought up to operating voltages
safely. A Variac and a quick hand is one way, and also provides
a convenient stage for bias adjustments and for reforming
antique electrolytic capacitors (a separate issue, but one that
serious hobbyists might someday see). Another way is the ancient
series-in-the-AC-line lamp.

But, either way, the unstated-but-it-seems-assumed-by-the-OP idea
that (s)he could just replace a few devices, plug up and go, is false.

This is very much a wonderful learning opportunity, so I wouldn't
want to spoil it by a spectacular early failure, when some proper
prep is both a teachable moment and economical. Cool beans.

And, much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

wrote:

[...]

Well said. 100% agreed. Given that BJT failure is usually terminal, devices could probably be
tested with a DMM (given the requiiste knowledge) but they must be removed from the PCB.

Or buy one of those cheap Asian meters with a transistor tester built in !
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-DIGITAL-MU...QQcmdZViewItem

All of £8 in P&P

Beware of pin-out issues.

Graham

Ping - MOSFET Tony F Car Audio 1 November 19th 06 03:50 AM
MOSFET, what's up with your posts? Dark1 Car Audio 4 August 27th 06 01:05 PM
MOSFET email ? James Car Audio 0 July 24th 06 12:44 AM
FA: FORTY(40) NOS HITACHI J56 POWER MOSFET TRANSISTORS T-03 cooltube Marketplace 0 May 17th 05 04:55 PM
Mosfet RF Gareth Magennis Tech 1 November 23rd 04 05:52 AM