Posted to rec.audio.tech
Preben Holm Preben Holm is offline

Default Amplification

Hi

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

And what's the normal gain of a pre-amp?

Best regards

Preben Holm
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Preben Holm wrote:
Hi

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

No single figure, but something around 20 times (26dB) voltage gain
would be normal. It depends on the output power of the amplifier.

And what's the normal gain of a pre-amp?

For most inputs (things like CD, tuner etc) no gain is required as they
already present the right level for the power amplifier. If the input is
a microphone, perhaps 40 to 60dB might be needed. For a phono input
there is no answer because of the huge variation of gain with frequency.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Preben Holm" wrote in message

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

Depends on power output.

Something like 26 dB.

And what's the normal gain of a pre-amp?

Depends on what kind of inputs it has.

Usually about 20 dB from line level input to main output.

Add about 40 dB @ 1 KHz for a regular moving magnet phono stage.

Really good mic preamps usually have variable gain from 60 dB to zero dB.
Cheap ones take about 10 dB off one or both ends.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Preben Holm wrote:

Hi

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

What is the normal size of a penis ?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Preben Holm wrote:
Hi

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

No single figure, but something around 20 times (26dB) voltage gain
would be normal. It depends on the output power of the amplifier.

31-35dB typically in the case of SR.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

Preben Holm wrote:
Hi

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

No single figure, but something around 20 times (26dB) voltage gain
would be normal. It depends on the output power of the amplifier.

31-35dB typically in the case of SR.

Graham

But that would be an unusually high powered amp - not the
run-of-the-mill 50 watt job.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Preben Holm wrote:

Hi

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

What is the normal size of a penis ?

Flaccid or fully engorged....?

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Eld Bob Eld is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
et...
Eeyore wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:

Preben Holm wrote:
Hi

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

No single figure, but something around 20 times (26dB) voltage gain
would be normal. It depends on the output power of the amplifier.

31-35dB typically in the case of SR.

Graham

But that would be an unusually high powered amp - not the
run-of-the-mill 50 watt job.

Fifty Watts into 8 ohms requries 20 volts RMS. Having a gain of 20 would be
one volt input. That seems pretty typical to me.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Eld Bob Eld is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Preben Holm wrote:

Hi

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

What is the normal size of a penis ?

Well, mine use to be 7 inches, 18 cm. But then I got old and it shrunk. I'm
lucky to see 5 inches these days! Oh well, I didn't need that damn thing
anyway.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Preben Holm" wrote in message
What is the normal gain of a power-amp?
And what's the normal gain of a pre-amp?

Define "Normal" first.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Bob Eld wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote
Eeyore wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
Preben Holm wrote:

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

No single figure, but something around 20 times (26dB) voltage gain
would be normal. It depends on the output power of the amplifier.

31-35dB typically in the case of SR.

But that would be an unusually high powered amp - not the
run-of-the-mill 50 watt job.

Fifty Watts into 8 ohms requries 20 volts RMS. Having a gain of 20 would be
one volt input. That seems pretty typical to me.

In pro-audio, a kilowatt or so into 8 ohms isn't unusual. That's another 13dB
on top of your 26 giving 39dB but we tend to use +4dBu input sensitivity, so
knock of another 2dB approx making 37dB voltage gain in this instance..

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Bob Eld wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Preben Holm wrote:

What is the normal gain of a power-amp?

What is the normal size of a penis ?

Well, mine use to be 7 inches, 18 cm. But then I got old and it shrunk. I'm
lucky to see 5 inches these days! Oh well, I didn't need that damn thing
anyway.

Acording for 'sex for the modern girl' or whatever on channel 5, enlargement
creams DO work. They didn't say which make though. Of 3 methods tried it was
the only one that delivered.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Preben Holm Preben Holm is offline

Define "Normal" first.

I hoped someone could give me a definition of normal in here.

What I'm thinking about is to make this setup (a project):

CD/DVD - filter (digital) - preamp - active speakers.

or

CD/DVD - filter (digital) - digital transmission - advanced active
speakers

But to reduce noise input on cables to speakers, I'm thinking about the
right voltage level.

However to begin with - I wan't sound, so I'm thinking about:

CD/DVD - preamp - analog active filter - active speakers

So for this design, I was thinking about matching the speakers to a
"normal" preamp!

Best
Preben
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Preben Holm wrote:

But to reduce noise input on cables to speakers, I'm thinking about the
right voltage level.

That'll be determined by the signal-to-noise ratio of the sending device.

Read the input voltage specification on the active speakers you have in
mind .... which are ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Normal output level of a 'proper' CD player is IIRC 2V rms @ 0dBFS.

What I'm thinking about is to make this setup (a project):

CD/DVD - filter (digital) - preamp - active speakers.

What's the digital filter for ? And is the preamp simply a source selector
?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Preben Holm Preben Holm is offline

But to reduce noise input on cables to speakers, I'm thinking about the
right voltage level.

That'll be determined by the signal-to-noise ratio of the sending device.

Read the input voltage specification on the active speakers you have in
mind .... which are ?

... to be built.

It's a project I'm doing on my own - and I'll start by building the
speakers. The whole set-up is a "proof on concept" (do it better) project.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Preben Holm Preben Holm is offline

Define "Normal" first.
I hoped someone could give me a definition of normal in here.

Normal output level of a 'proper' CD player is IIRC 2V rms @ 0dBFS.

What I'm thinking about is to make this setup (a project):

CD/DVD - filter (digital) - preamp - active speakers.

What's the digital filter for ? And is the preamp simply a source selector
?

The filter is (so far) a high pass and low pass filter. And of course I
wan't it to be FIR to have linear phase.

The preamp is therefore a 4 channel preamp for up to 2 2-way speakers.
It allows me to make a high order filter without noise input from
components - that's the whole concept of my design idea.

After this project is finished, I would like to extend the project, such
that the signal is digitally transferred to the speakers and thereby
reducing the noise associated with the cables.

"Maybe there will be no difference, but at least fun to do."

Best regards,

Preben Holm

Amplification without Distortion [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 23 November 2nd 05 08:37 AM
MP3 Player amplification? greggy Tech 2 January 30th 05 06:34 AM
best speakers without amplification Faive Car Audio 3 September 7th 04 09:28 PM
amplification for headphones on vcr? [email protected] General 2 January 15th 04 11:30 PM
Current amplification All Ears Vacuum Tubes 35 August 29th 03 12:27 PM