Default Polk pws12 or Velodyne vrp1200 - subwoofer

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a powered subwoofer and have narrowed by choice
to polk pws12 (100 watt) or the velodyne vrp1200 (135 watts). Currently
I have Polk R50's as fronts, Polk R15's as rears, connected to a Denon
2805. I did read somewhere about matching speakers (as if I go with the
velodyne my system would not all be matched, but I'm note sure if that
makes a big difference). Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Thanks

"M" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a powered subwoofer and have narrowed by choice
to polk pws12 (100 watt) or the velodyne vrp1200 (135 watts). Currently
I have Polk R50's as fronts, Polk R15's as rears, connected to a Denon
2805. I did read somewhere about matching speakers (as if I go with the
velodyne my system would not all be matched, but I'm note sure if that
makes a big difference). Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Thanks

For subwwofers, it's not that important IME, to keep brand names matched.
You simply need a sub that goes as low as you'd like, and has the power to
play at the levels you like.
If you crossover at 80 HZ or below, with a steep enough slope (24db/oct
being the preferred) then brand doesn't matter.

In terms of bang for the buck and response, you might want to think very
hard about a DIY project, since in this area, an amateur can truly do well.
Some of the very good subs that can be done as DIY are the NHT 12", the
Adire Shiva 12" and some others as well. All of the places that sell the
drivers also sell plate amps to go with them, as well as kit plans and
cabinets. Adire also sells finished subs or did, (I haven't checked
lately). Other companies that sell well regarded subs are SVS and Hsu.
Look in at www.zalytron.com and www.madisound.com, as well as the SVS
website.

My own sub is an Adire Shiva with a Hypex amp both purchased from Adire and
I consider them to be among the best things I've done as system upgrades.